Shanghai hotel

CAT GIRL

We will be staying for one night post cruise in Shanghai. Any

suggestions on a hotel or at least an area that we should look into?

We have never been there before so want to be close to the action....

whatever action that may be. lol

Help !!!!

P.s. We fly home out of PVG. Are taxis the way to go? Expensive?

With out a doubt the "Grand Central Hotel" in Shanghai at 505 Jiujiang Road..Stayed here after many recommendations and it was an amazing hotel and location...you can't go wrong...Very well priced and a "Very Upscale" experience..and just steps from the middle of Nanjing Road and the Bund..Our room #0625 had a great view of Nanjing Road..Amazing staff that even delivered a birthday cake for my DH..a surprise to both of us..Attention to the smallest detail was unsurpassed !!!

Also don't miss shopping at 580 West Nanjing Road a short very cheap taxi ride..easy to do and worth it if you are a shopper..

We also went to the Jiangnan Silk Museum where we got the most amazing comforters..Wasn't expecting to purchase these but one of the best things we bought in Shanghai.

Out of the three cities we visited (Beijing, Xi'an & Shanghai) in China on our land trip, Shanghai was our favorite ... and a place we would love to go back to...ENJOY !!

Choosing a hotel in Shanghai can be daunting, as there are so many very good hotels in good locations.

The Hyland Hotel on East Nanjing Road (Nanjing Dong Lu) is another to consider. It's right on the famous shopping street, walking distance to both The Bund and People's Square, and 1 or 2 minute's walk to the very handy metro line 2 and line 10.

If Art Deco splendor is your thing, Paul's suggestion of the historic landmark Peace Hotel is the way to go.

Have been many tomes and yes the JW is great in good location but high priced.

Better is their Yu Yung garden Renaissance it is in an amazing location right by the gardens tea house and market area open in the evening and you can walk to Nan Jing Ling road the mall walk area and the Bund. It is very well priced nice with good facilities.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back and stayed at the Portman Ritz Carleton which is on West Nanjing Road. Are you just using this as a night to sleep before you go to the airport, or do you plan to tour Shanghai? We were just on a trip of China, not a cruise, and on our way back we had 1 night, and stayed at the Kerry Hotel, which is closer to the airport. There is a lot of traffic in Shanghai, so if you are staying further from the airport, you will need to allow a lot of time to get there.

Also, regardless of where you stay, if you plan to take a cab, make sure that you have the name of the hotel and the address printed out in Chinese to show to the taxi driver. Even if he says the name of the hotel the same way you do, they don't understand you.

• 2 weeks later...
staying in shanghai for three nights at Grand Central Hotel, before cruising with Celebrity. Any suggestions for tour?

We didn't find it necessary for a tour and just did it ourself..very easy to get around..An easy walk to the Bund from the Grand Central..we used a taxi to get to the museum,Yuan Garden & Bazaar, and for shopping 580 West Nanjing Road...See my post #4...Enjoy !!

Edited by Ashland

staying in shanghai for three nights at Grand Central Hotel, before cruising with Celebrity. Any suggestions for tour?

I agree with Ashland. Shanghai is very "do-able" on your own. Come with a good guidebook such as "Lonely Planet". Plus the Grand Central is convenient to the subway if you're up to it, which will take you to within a short walk to most if not all you'll want to see and do in three days... including Ashland's favorite shopping spot.;)

I live in Shanghai... if you have any questions I'll be happy to help. :)

We're at the Renaissance Yu Garden right now for a non-cruise stay. Our room has a great view of the river and garden - especially at night.

Taxi this morning from the airport was 180 CNY including tip. ATM's and currency exchanges easy to use at the airport.

Two tour companies we used last year and loved:

UnTour Shanghai -- tomorrow we're going back to revisit street breakfast locations. It's not just about the food, it's walking through the neighborhoods near the French Concession, seeing how the people live. Not to be missed.

Shanghai Insiders gives tours in the sidecar of a motorcycle. It's a Chinese copy of a Russian copy of the WWII German military bike. What a blast.

Try the circus -- very popular and you can get tickets online in advance

• 2 years later...

Great info from everyone.

Stowaway2K, I have been looking at the Marriott near the river, the Marriott across from a garden, and one downtown (which seems to be less interesting to me). I will be with my daughter. My husband passed away, so it will just be the two "girls." We are there two days pre-cruise on Oceania.

I see the Renaissance has been recommended. Your comments re hotels.

We will probably do the HOHO. Would you have any idea the hotels' locations to the HOHO route?

Thank you so much.

Just an update about shopping...when we went back a 2nd time at the end of a cruise we had done out of Singapore (2014)...I discovered the shopping under the Science and Technology Museum...OH MY how did I ever miss this the first visit... easily went there and back using the MTR just steps from the Grand Central Hotel where we stayed again...yes our favorite hotel in Shanghai :D

Edited by Ashland

The Hop On Hop Off buses are a great way to see the city. On my last visit, I used the Big Bus company. I planned my route so that I would start at Jing'an Temple and Jade Temple and work my way back to the Bund, so that I could see the Bund lit up at night. Amazing!

Just an update about shopping...when we went back a 2nd time at the end of a cruise we had done out of Singapore (2014)...I discovered the shopping under the Science and Technology Museum...OH MY how did I ever miss this the first visit... easily went there and back using the MTR just steps from the Grand Central Hotel where we stayed again...yes our favorite hotel in Shanghai :D

Yes, the underground market behind the Science museum is called AP Plaza. It was one stop on the metro from my hotel in the Pudong district. I did all my Christmas shopping!

Stowaway2K, I have been looking at the Marriott near the river, the Marriott across from a garden, and one downtown (which seems to be less interesting to me)

The Marriott at Tomorrow Square, adjacent to People's Square, is a great location.

You can walk to the Bund from here via the famous East Nanjing Road shopping street, and quick access to a few different subway lines. Plus this futuristic high-rise will give you amazing views over the city.

As for Hop on Hop off, there are two companies, City Sightseeing which begins its route at People's Square and the Big Bus, which also stops at People's Square. I can't tell you which one is better, maybe your concierge can make a recommendation.

Thank you Stowaway 2.

Brunello2 - that would be a great idea to see the bund lit up.

Shorex, is that the garden near the Renaissance?

On a clear night (very rare), the views from the rooftop bars at the Hyatt, Ritz Carlton, and Shangri-La hotels are spectacular!

Edited by brunello22

• 1 month later...
I agree with Ashland. Shanghai is very "do-able" on your own. Come with a good guidebook such as "Lonely Planet". Plus the Grand Central is convenient to the subway if you're up to it, which will take you to within a short walk to most if not all you'll want to see and do in three days... including Ashland's favorite shopping spot.;)

I live in Shanghai... if you have any questions I'll be happy to help. :)

Hi DO you think we are making a good decision to stay at Sofitel Hyland Hotel for 3 days after our Cruise - area and things to do and see?

Many Thanks :)

Hi DO you think we are making a good decision to stay at Sofitel Hyland Hotel for 3 days after our Cruise - area and things to do and see?

Many Thanks :)

Yes.

Fine hotel, convenient location on East Nanjing Road pedestrian shopping street clost to the subway, walk to The Bund and walk to People's Square.