SCUBA in P.V.?

scubalisa

DH and I will be in Puerto Vallarta in late May and are considering a dive at the Mariettas Islands. Has anyone ever done this? Was it worth the time and money, or would we be better off spending the day on a land tour, like one of the canopy ones? Which dive shop did you use? Thank you so much for any advice!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I was in PV about 18 months ago, didn't dive there. The reason for that is that when I talked to people in the know, they said that in the Pacific, unless you want to wear wet suits, the water is a little chilly. Actually, they said cold.

I did snorkle once in Mexico and the thermocline was VERY close to the top. The vis was not super good either.

Now, mind you, this was a January cruise, so for May the temperatures might be different, but I'm not a fan of wet suits under ANY circumstance.

Ultimately I cancelled my dives and opted for other tours. (Can you say Tequilla factory! :D ) Aaahhh, fond memories of that...still have some of what I brought home. And, FYI...there's a Wal Mart in PV.

I was in PV about 18 months ago, didn't dive there. The reason for that is that when I talked to people in the know, they said that in the Pacific, unless you want to wear wet suits, the water is a little chilly. Actually, they said cold.

I did snorkle once in Mexico and the thermocline was VERY close to the top. The vis was not super good either.

Now, mind you, this was a January cruise, so for May the temperatures might be different, but I'm not a fan of wet suits under ANY circumstance.

Ultimately I cancelled my dives and opted for other tours. (Can you say Tequilla factory! :D ) Aaahhh, fond memories of that...still have some of what I brought home. And, FYI...there's a Wal Mart in PV.

Man you are a fair weather diver. :D ;)

I do most of my diving in Monterey, where the water temp is about 47 degrees at depth. Personally I think the people wearing dry suits there are babies. :D

That's the problem with diving in the caribbean you get so spoiled. There is nothing wrong with diving in the Pacific it is just a different experience.

ETA: To the OP, I have never been to PV but I am going in October so let me know how it goes.

I was in PV for a week about 2 years ago. DH and I wanted to try snorkeling, so we booked a tour that did whale watching, snorkeling, other activities for the day (I'm not sure what the name of the island was). The snorkeling here was bad. You could not see anything. The only time we did see a few fish was when they dumped a bucket of bread crumbs in the water, but even with the fish swarming they were hard to see. I'm not sure if it would be the same for diving or not.

PV also has a lot of waves, and I mean these are HUGE! Some days even just swimming was difficult because you would get monsterous waves plowing into you. I think I was told that the reason the water was so murky was because of all these waves. I'm assuming it is like that all the time, but I could be wrong... Anyway, I'm not sure if any of this matters for diving, but I thought I would give you my experience. We wished we did not do the snorkeling and had spent that time doing something else.

oh geez.... Diving in PV is just like anywhere else- good conditions equal good diving. When we were there in October a few years back, the water was warm enough for a shorty, the vis was really good 70 ft+, there were no big waves and there was plenty of underwater life to see.

The mariettas islands are great- that's where we went- and you'll have a blast. We used Pacific Scuba and can't reccommend them enough. Have a blast and let us know how it was when you get back!

oh geez.... Diving in PV is just like anywhere else- good conditions equal good diving. When we were there in October a few years back, the water was warm enough for a shorty, the vis was really good 70 ft+, there were no big waves and there was plenty of underwater life to see.

The mariettas islands are great- that's where we went- and you'll have a blast. We used Pacific Scuba and can't reccommend them enough. Have a blast and let us know how it was when you get back!

What's with the "oh geez"?? Like I said in my post, I am not a diver and I didn't try to act like an expert on the subject. I was in PV for 7 days, and the waves were huge every single day. It's not like I was just there for a few hours on a cruise, so I assume this is how it is most of the time. All I was trying to do was give my experience since there were not many responses for the OP.

Archived