Not happy with customer service on new reservation

mdmourges

Yesterday I booked a 2/22/14 10 cruise on Riviera (Mia to Mia). When I went on-line, there were only 2 PH rooms left which was my room of choice, so time was of the essence. I called my TA in Canada (I am in the US) and was told that since it was Boxing day, they were operating with a small staff. That being the case, I left a voicemail with my TA's assistant. I then contacted Oceania by phone and asked it I could put a 24 hr hold on the room but was told they didn't do that but I could transfer the booking to my TA within 30 days. So, all good, I booked the room and since the cruise was within 90 days, 100% payment was due. Today I contacted by agent with the res # etc so they could transfer the booking and I could then get any TA amenities and their good customer service. When they contacted Oceania, who I had sent a consent e-mail to earlier in the morning, they were told they could transfer the booking but they would rec no commissions since it was fully paid. Had I been told this, I would have taken the chance of losing the room and booked by way of my TA as soon as I spoke to her. Both my agent and I have spoken to the nice people at the reservation center at Oceania (elevated it to the supervisor) and we were told tough luck, the "rules" are the "rules". This is very disappointing to say they least. Just curious if anyone has experienced something similar and has some advise. Thanks.

Mark

I am going to differ a bit with the others ahead of me. Only because while "rules are rules", there are times when they should be set aside.

The rep you first spoke to SHOULD have told you that booking the way you did, with full payment due NOW, that you wouldn't be able to transfer the booking to your TA. You were told that you had 30 days to do so.

It seems to me that O can well make an exception in such a case because you were not given the full and correct information.

Whether you will get very far I have no idea. But in your place I would at least make the attempt.

Then again, if nothing can be done ... just enjoy the cruise.

Mura

You have been told both yes and no by Oceania's staff. Hopefully you have the name of the representative who told you yes. Track him/her down and see if they will say yes again. If so, ask them to fax a copy of their rules that allow commission. If that fails, ask the staff to fax you a copy of the rules that disallow it. Since they don't all have the same answers, it is at least worth a shot to see if they can show official printed proof that your TA can or can't get commission. If you don't check on this, you'll always wonder about it.

Thank you all. I have requested a copy of their written policy on this and where I have agreed to it. This is not so much about getting any amenities from my TA, but that would be nice, it is more about being able to get the quality service I get from my TA. I have called Oceania 3 times in the past few days and it has taken me 20+ minutes to get through each time. That is what I don't want to have to deal with when I have to deal with issues regarding my upcoming cruise. Again thank you.

I have had the same problem getting to them, maybe they have cut back on reps! I also missed out on 800$ of perks from my TA as I made a reservation while on board. By the time I got home it was too late to transfer the booking. Live and learn, it will not happen again. We are taking a trip on Crystal and it is less per day than Oceania and is AI. You can not be stuck on one line to get the best value.

Edited by hypercafe

I have had the same problem getting to them, maybe they have cut back on reps! I also missed out on 800$ of perks from my TA as I made a reservation while on board. By the time I got home it was too late to transfer the booking.

I thought if you booked onboard it went to your TA on record???

Is this no longer the case :confused:

If you book online through O website does it go to your TA or do you need to go & ask for them to transfer the booking?

Seems confusing

So far my TA has been there for me even on weekends ;)

Lyn

I thought if you booked onboard it went to your TA on record???

Is this no longer the case :confused:

You only have 30 days to request it. I booked at the start of the trip, by the time we got back etc. The 30 days were up. I guess it was my fault however it was 12 months before the trip.

It always was true when we booked on board. Our TA's name was on the printout handed to us as a confirmation,

That is what I thought

I have never booked onboard as we are already booked usually well in advance

Good to know if we ever find a good deal onboard that we cannot resist ;)

In anycase I would email my TA as soon as I booked anyway

Thanks for the info

Lyn

Some of the blame needs to be shared by the travel agent and the choice to have an agent out of the country,

Since you say you always book penthouses then the agency should have been eager to reward their cash-cow.

The fact that they did not care enough about your past relation and a customer eager to book and pay in full a five figure cruise tells me they are either arrogant or stupid of both. " Were busy"... was their response and in business laughable .

Tome for another agent who respects you and your business.

They can transfer it to your TA even you book 3 days before departure -- but transferring it does not mean your TA will get commission if you book within the full payment due period.

Two different things.

If you have a longstanding relationship with your TA and he or she has made a considerable amount of money over the years from your bookings and referrals, your TA night manage the booking for you with no commission this time -- be your go to person if you have a problem. I would ask.

I guess that the 30 day time limit is in place to discourage those who TA comparison shop to get what they judge the best deal. Yet it also allows enough time to locate a TA and have the booking transferred.

If the onboard rep advised this it might seem that O was trying to lose the booking for themselves. Some folks are perfectly content booking with O and leaving it that way.

O is very forthcoming about telling cruisers on board that you can transfer the booking to your TA and that you have 30 days to do it. It is also part of the future cruise presentation.

They need to say it is from when you talk to them on board, I booked at the start of the trip thinking I had 30 days after I got home. How can you be expected to talk to your TA while on the ship?? This is a strange policy as I booked a trip 12 months out, I guess I should of canceled and rebooked as the perks from Oceania for booking onboard were very little compared to the TA perks, live and learn. The service from Oceania is substandard as I had a hard time getting them to answer the phone, first few times I felt it was time of year but I still could not get them, after long time on hold got hung up on. Finally called at 9 am and got them. Since they are saving by not paying a TA comm. Should give better service!!!

Perhaps O is up front with telling you that you can transfer within 30 days but they ARE NOT up front about your TA losing commissions if you transfer within 30 days but have paid in full. And if you book online within 90 days, you have NO choice but to pay in full to complete your reservation. This is a poor policy (not letting you transfer a fully paid fee that is commissionable), or even worse, a so called policy since I can't seem to find it in writing or on their website.

Mark

Perhaps O is up front with telling you that you can transfer within 30 days but they ARE NOT up front about your TA losing commissions if you transfer within 30 days but have paid in full. And if you book online within 90 days, you have NO choice but to pay in full to complete your reservation. This is a poor policy (not letting you transfer a fully paid fee that is commissionable), or even worse, a so called policy since I can't seem to find it in writing or on their website.

Mark

The Commission which you are speaking of would theoretically have been earned as a result of your Agent either:

A) convincing you to TAKE an Oceania Cruise, or

B) acting as a liaison between you and the Cruise Line as regards Customer Service for that Cruise

From what you say here, your Agent hasn't acted in either capacity, and because the sailing date is so near, probably never will.

With all due respect, their policy is unclear and not documented. And their services level at their reservation department pales in comparison to any I have experience with any TA. Anyway, I will suck this up and have a great time on the cruise but being in the service business myself, when there is an issue and it is not clear cut, we always defer to the customer. That policy has always worked well for us.

Mark

I'm having trouble understanding the "30 days to transfer" a booking to one's TA. Every time I've booked on board, the representative already knew my travel agent, and the booking was entered in their name, with them getting full credit and commssion. Before I even got home, I received email copies of my invoices from my TA.

Perhaps the policy applies to those who never used a TA before?

sent from Galaxy Note 8