Luggage Question

HippieMama76

I am excited to be booked for my first cruise in 2015. We actually decided to add another cruise to the mix for next year as well that we will be booking soon.

I have a question about luggage. The requirements listed for the cruise line are not very clear. I'm assuming a bag that meets size requirements for standard bags for checked luggage on flights will work for the cruise. Right?

Thanks so much!

I am excited to be booked for my first cruise in 2015. We actually decided to add another cruise to the mix for next year as well that we will be booking soon.

I have a question about luggage. The requirements listed for the cruise line are not very clear. I'm assuming a bag that meets size requirements for standard bags for checked luggage on flights will work for the cruise. Right?

Thanks so much!

Certainly.

The cruise lines don't really have size limits for luggage. I've seen people bringing trunks for world cruises. The only limit is that I've seen some lines say they prefer passengers to not go over 200lbs in total weight.

The only size limit is for carry on bags. They must be able to fit through an airport sized X-ray machine.

The cruise lines don't really have size limits for luggage. I've seen people bringing trunks for world cruises. The only limit is that I've seen some lines say they prefer passengers to not go over 200lbs in total weight.

The only size limit is for carry on bags. They must be able to fit through an airport sized X-ray machine.

Some lines actually do place a limit on you also please consider the staff who have to lift the bags.

If you are evaluating whether to go with spinner versus pull-behind bags, look carefully how they are constructed. Bags get piled into a cage which is then transported to the ship. Many (but not all) spinner wheels are completely exposed and get caught in the cages. Then other bags get piled on top then - snap!

Very often I see relatively new spinner bags put out as curbside trash. Each one has a wheel set snapped off.

(Just an observation and opinion FWIW.)

Krazy Cruizers ~

The first cruise I booked is for Oct. 2015 aboard the Carnival Victory leaving from Miami. The one I booked this week is for Feb. 2015 aboard the Carnival Elation leaving from New Orleans.

The one in Feb. is with my hubby, while the one in Oct. is with friends.

Thanks so much!

As others have said, no limits. But: a) you are going to have to get the suitcase(s) and trunk(s) to the ship. Smaller & lighter is better. b) someone is going to have to take your suitcase(s) and trunk(s) from check-in onto the ship, up the elevator, down the corridor... Smaller & lighter is better. c) now you've got it all in your cabin. You unpack. Where do you put all that stuff that you brought?!? Where do you put those suitcase(s) and trunk(s)?!? Smaller & lighter is better.

Seriously, in my experience, you will be much happier all along the way if you leave 2/3 of your stuff at home, take one small carry-on bag with you, and make sure you have space under your credit card limit so that you can buy whatever you decide you really really should have brought along and didn't. If you follow these simple policies, the whole question of size and weight limits just won't be an issue.

I remember 59 years ago, I was 10-11 years old, we were just off a three-week cruise from New York to Buenos Aires, my Dad was running around trying to arrange a cab to the airport for our onward journey, and he kept telling me, my brother and my mother "watch the luggage! Count the luggage! Watch the luggage! Don't let anyone touch the luggage! Remember we have 17 pieces; don't let anybody touch the luggage and keep counting to be sure all 17 pieces are there!" We made it with all 17 pieces of luggage but I was and am forever convinced that smaller and lighter is better. Unless you are talking about my camera backpack...

I always pack lightly. For a 7-day cruise, I only pack 5 days worth of clothing. I then do laundry half-way through the cruise. I got tired of packing 7 pairs of jeans, tops, and whatever I needed for formal night. I don't care of someone sees me in the same jeans or tops more than once.