Half Moon Cay vs Nassau

Shutterlady

I'm trying to plan our next cruise for Jan. 2013. I really wanted to go to Half Moon Cay, everyone rants and raves and I want to see what it's all about. The problem is we can only travel within the first 3 weeks of January. The first 2 weeks on January would be more ideal than the 3rd week. That being said, my only choice is Fantasy out of Charleston, SC for Half Moon Cay. Or, out of Miami on Liberty, and it goes to Nassau. Unless I'm missing something.

DH really wants an Ocean Suite and with the Fantasy your choices are Junior Suite or Grand Suite. We just sailed on the Liberty this last November and he fell in love with the Ocean Suite. So I wouldn't mind the Liberty again it was a beautiful ship. I've sailed on the Paradise, and to me I think the Fantasy looks just like it.

Is Nassau just as nice as Half Moon Cay??? Someone help me decide? All you experts out there, any pros and cons??? We did like the 2.0 stuff on the Liberty, and we loved the size of the bathroom.

Thanks in advance for any info/help.

Half Moon Cay and what's the other stop? The ship just doesn't go to HMC? Unless they have made a major change recently, it's usually HMC and Nassau or Freeport. HMC is a must if you are a beach person! It is a private island. Nassau is the the Capitol of the Bahahas, there is a city there, along with excellent beach choices, but HMC is just an island, no city, just the most beautiful beach in the world. IMHO. Check again and see if you don't have another port attached to that cruise. Half Moon Cay is a tender island, meaining no dock, and if there are rough seas, you may not even go there. January should be fine.

There are other stops on the Fantasy to HMC, but I'm trying to figure it out based on HMC or Nassau. The other stops on both cruises are fine with me. Can't remember off hand exactly what they are at the moment.

I know we will love the Liberty as we have already been on that ship. If the Liberty was going to HMC in January it would be a no-brainer. Just not sure about the Fantasy. My DH really likes the bigger rooms.

Been to Nassau three times, been to HMC three times. I'd take HMC in a heartbeat. Gorgeous beach, nice swimming, and no one crowding around you to offer hair braiding. As for sailing on Fantasy - we sailed her in August after 14 cruises on larger ships. We loved her. No, she doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the larger ships, but she has a lot to offer.

I booked my Destiny cruise in May so I can go to HMC. Already have my cabana booked and so looking forward to feeling the soft, powdery sand and relaxing. One of my other stops is Nassau. After being there 2 times, I'm staying on the boat. Not that its a bad port, just really nothing there to make me venture off the ship this time.

My vote, HMC :)

IMO Nassau doesn't hold a candle to HMC...HMC is a little slice of heaven...

Agreed! Even though I haven't been to HMC, Nassau is kind of blah and I have seen and heard so many awesome things about HMC. It depends...do you cruise for the ship or for the ports?

Nassau is pretty blah, BUT>>> the Liberty is a LOT better than the Fantasy IMHO, especially with the 2.0 upgrades.

Plus the other stops...doesn't Liberty also go to St Thomas, Grand Turk, San Juan?

where does Fantasy go?? Half Moon Cay and ?

Really hard to compare, you have to figure out what is important to YOU

I would personally pick the Liberty

Well, my husband thinks he wants to go on the Liberty again. But, it only goes to HMC on the 1/19/13 trip. So only one choice I guess. And, it doesn't show any Ocean Suites available. I can't believe that. There are aft wraps and premium balconies, but no ocean suites???? Guess I'll have to give them a call. Hopefully it's a glitch. Fingers crossed.

The Fantasy goes to Grand Turk, HMC and Nassau. But, I think he would like the Liberty more.

*sigh*

We have been in the Bahamas 3 January's out of the last 4 years. We visited Nassau or Freeport or both each time.

Here is the problem with the Bahamas in January. It can be coolish at this time.

We really enjoyed Nassau this January but it was too cold for a beach day.

More or less true on one of the others trips. For the holiday period, you may get hot weather

but I wouldn't count on it. I haven't been to HMC and would love to but not in January.

The advice everyone else is giving you may be correct the rest of the year ,but not when you are looking to visit.

If it is cold, how much fun is shivering on a beach?

Archived