Prefered HOHO New York City/ with or w/out tours?

Is there a preferred company for hop-on/hop-off bus service in New York City?

Right now New York Tours is offering "all loop" 72 hours for the price of 48 (roughly 60.00 pp).

Is is worth it to upgrade to VIP to avoid bus lines? I ran into a problem with full buses in Barcelona. Not sure how busy these buses are in NY. We will be in town Thursday August 14- Sunday August 17.

For an additional $60.00 pp we can choose 3 of the following tours. Which would you select? I'm leaning toward any of the options I have bolded below. Any 'don't miss" attractions?? Would it be worth it to purchase one of the dining options? If so, which one?

Here are the choices from the tour company: "You may choose a total of 3 of the following cruises, attractions, dining, museums and fun items options while in New York City:"

Cruises

City Sightseeing Cruises

Ferry to the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island

Attractions

Empire State Building Observatory

Madame Tussaud's All Access Pass

Ripley's Believe It or Not

Top of the Rock Observation Decks

Tours

Lincoln Center Tour

The Radio City Stage Door Tour

Rockefeller Center Tour

Walking Tours Audio Guide (good compliment to the hop-on hop-off double-decker bus tours). Includes: World Trade Center Site, Financial District, Central Park, Chinatown, Little Italy, Flatiron Building, Madison Square Park, 9/11 Tribute Center

Dining

Lunch at Grotta Azzurra (Little Italy)

Lunch at Bella Napoli (near the Empire State Building)

Lunch at Buca di Beppo

The Original SoupMan (259 W 55th Street)

Lunch at Earl of Sandwich (Near Radio City)

Lunch at Planet Hollywood International

Perfect Picnic in Battery or Central Park (call before 10am to schedule fresh delivery)

Lunch or Dinner at Copper Chimney Indian Restaurant (near the Empire State Building)

Blue Planet Grill Restaurant (next to 9/11 Memorial)

Breakfast or Lunch at Applebee's (42nd Street and 50th Street)

Museums

American Museum of Natural History

The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)

Cloisters Museum

Guggenheim Museum

Metropolitan Museum of Art

Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum

Museum of the City of New York

Museum of Arts and Design

The Jewish Children's Museum

Thank you :)

I did a HOHO in NYC a couple years ago with family from England and there really was never a line for a bus....maybe at one stop, but we actually didn't get off (it wound up pouring...ugh.)

You could spend the better part of a day in one of the museums...

I would do either Top of the Rock or the ESB as the cost for those is not cheap, and I think it's a decent deal...

The 3 days for price of 2 is good, that way you're not rushed, and you can just stay on the bus for a full loop, and then pick what you want to go back to.....

Hmm...

It will be hot....

Guess that wasn't much help was it...sorry!

Having plenty of time to see things and to rest is a really good idea though...

In the past I used them :

http://www.newyorksightseeing.com/tourpage.php?item=ALYANK

All 5 loops, including the night loop :D, VIP access a 10-50% discount on over 100 restaurant in NYC ...AND a behind the scene tour of the Yankees Stadium :eek:

It is available for only a few dates this summer but your dates are in !!! I would jump on this!!!

If you book the one you already looked-up, I would not book a restaurant via the tour operator...so many to choose on your own in NYC.

I would do the Top of The Rock and not the Empire State Building... from the The Rock you will have a superb view of the Empire State Building for some great pics of it.

I would choose one of the two, either Mme. Tussaud or Ripley's...I know they are not the same kind but I wouldn't "loose" too much time in those attractions...I really preferred Mme Tussaud over Ripley's.

To avoid "loosing" time in long lines to go up the Statue of Liberty, I would go on the ferry but I would stay on the ferry...it turns both ways so you have great pics of the Statue and with the ones with you in the foreground. And when I cruise out of NYC I do not even do the ferry anymore...the cruise ships out of the Manhattan terminal passes right in front of her and makes for great pics also.

"...Walking Tours Audio Guide (good compliment to the hop-on hop-off double-decker bus tours). Includes: World Trade Center Site, Financial District, Central Park, Chinatown, Little Italy, Flatiron Building, Madison Square Park, 9/11 Tribute Center..."

I would not do an audio guide tour because I would want to "limit" the time spend in those places to see the essentials of NYC...

Central park is HUGE...I could recommend a portion of it that takes about 1h to do and lets you see the most common and known part ( due mainly to films that were filmed there ). World Trade Center Site is still a must I think, Financial district is beautiful if you are interested in architecture and some famous film scenes...or finances :p, Chinatown ( famous for knockoffs ), and Little Italy are easily done on your own with a little research in advance. Flatiron IS my favorite building in all of NYC and is right on the corner of the Madison Square Park which is rather small but beautiful AND it hosts the famous Shake Shack :D .

You could spend between half a day to a full day in any of the major Museum in NYC....choose wisely and set a time limit....so many things to see and do...

There are problems with long line-up for the buses on only a few stops...Empire State is one of them, Chinatown ( for the shoppers ) is an other, the ones very close to Times Square ( that are not the start of the loop of course ) are also very crowded...but that is only a few out of many stops...the only advantage would be regarding weather...if it is gray and rain or light mist...the inside of the buses will be packed and on the opposite, if it is sunny and hot, places on top would be hard to get....so it might be a good option for the VIP...

Between the Empire State Building and Times Square, on 6th avenue and 42nd Street there is the Bryant Park...for me one of the most beautiful parks in NYC, not often talked about but soooooo beautiful.

If I were to make one "extra" offered by some tours ( at least it was ) it would be a Gospel celebration in the Bronx ( lower safer Bronx ).

If you have questions, feel free to ask ! I LOVE NYC :D

I noticed this (The Original SoupMan @259 W 55th Street) was listed as a dining option. You should be aware that while the soup is excellent, as is the $10 lobster roll), Al Yeganeh (the inspiration for the the Seinfeld "No soup for you!" guy) is long gone from this business, and there is no seating at all; you will have to go find a plaza with benches nearby or eat standing up on the sidewalk. Here's a newspaper article about the place: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/famed-seinfeld-soup-****-al-yeganeh-no-show-reopening-original-soup-man-article-1.467314

Edited by Langoustine

If you choose both museums go on different days. Too much overload for one day. Both museums are on Central Park so you can easily visit the park. If you are a John Lennon fan the Museum of Natural History is close to the Dakota and Strawberry Fields.

If you choose both museums go on different days. Too much overload for one day. Both museums are on Central Park so you can easily visit the park. If you are a John Lennon fan the Museum of Natural History is close to the Dakota and Strawberry Fields.

Dakota building / Strawberry fields is a stop on all bus tours.

A year ago I was in NYC with gf and we parked near the Dakota building, we walked to the building, I explaned her what that building was ( she is much younger then me ;) ) and guess who walked out of the building ??? Yes Yoko herself :) we walked shoulder to shoulder across the street and to Strawberry Fields...I guess it is a early morning ritual of hers....it was a magic moment for me !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

This is why I <3 NY! On another trivia note, don't forget that the Dakota was the building where they filmed "Rosemary's Baby" staring Mia Farrow. (really showing my age here. lol)

Dakota building / Strawberry fields is a stop on all bus tours.

A year ago I was in NYC with gf and we parked near the Dakota building, we walked to the building, I explaned her what that building was ( she is much younger then me ;) ) and guess who walked out of the building ??? Yes Yoko herself :) we walked shoulder to shoulder across the street and to Strawberry Fields...I guess it is a early morning ritual of hers....it was a magic moment for me !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

No recommendations on a HOHO company; the one time I did it in Manhattan was a nightmare due to traffic, and rain. They are good for seeing a lot of the city in a short period of time, and the uptown loop on the tour I did was a good overview. I prefer to be on the street and experience the city, but that's not your question.

I'll second Top of the Rock. You can price it out for comparison, but it think it's $20+. Of your others, you really need to consider time. You can cruise by the Statue of Liberty, but if you stop at Ellis Island, which I highly recommend, you'll be there for awhile. The Met is a half day or more. MOMA is pretty cool, and can be seen in 2-3 hours unless your an art historian. Natural History is also large.

Assuming you're using the HOHO as your transportation, you'd get off at Battery Park for the SoL. I'd want to know if the tickets give you front of line privileges, or you could waste a lot of time waiting for a ferry. They probably stop at the Met, but you want to be there early as it's a zoo by early afternoon in the summer. Ditto MOMA. Ditto SoL. The lines weren't bad when we did Top of the Rock, but I think we had a timed ticket.

Skip the meals. They really have Planet Hollywood and an Applebee's as choices? There's great food on every corner!

Where are you staying? It may make more sense to do the HOHO for a day for orientation, and do the sites on your own. Just a thought.

Thought you might like to know that the Museum of Natural History, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the Cloisters are all recommended admission. You do not have to pay those prices to get in (although for certain exhibits there may be an additional mandatory fee). Just hand them a dollar or two per person and enjoy the museums. Additionally, if you visit the Met, the admission includes the Cloisters (it's part of the Metropolitan Museum). Also, you don't have to go to the Cloisters the same day, I think the admission is good for a week.

So, spending $60.00 for those places would be wasting your money.

Thought you might like to know that the Museum of Natural History, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the Cloisters are all recommended admission. You do not have to pay those prices to get in (although for certain exhibits there may be an additional mandatory fee). Just hand them a dollar or two per person and enjoy the museums. Additionally, if you visit the Met, the admission includes the Cloisters (it's part of the Metropolitan Museum). Also, you don't have to go to the Cloisters the same day, I think the admission is good for a week.

So, spending $60.00 for those places would be wasting your money.

I really don't recommend handing them a dollar or two. If everyone just handed them a dollar or two, these institutions would not be able to remain open. And most visitors do not only pay a dollar or two. The "recommended" fee is not so people can cheap out, it is so that all can enjoy no matter what their income. jmo

Thanks everyone for such thoughtful and helpful responses. We're in town for 3 nights pre-cruise which is why I thought the 72 hour pass would be a good option. It also does a night tour (included) and a route through brooklyn.

Where are you staying? It may make more sense to do the HOHO for a day for orientation, and do the sites on your own. Just a thought.

We are staying in Gramercy park. I figured the bus could take us to the sites, sort of like a taxi. I'm not familiar with distances in Manhattan. How long should it take us to walk from Gramercy Park/Union square to let's say central park?

Thanks again!

I really don't recommend handing them a dollar or two. If everyone just handed them a dollar or two, these institutions would not be able to remain open. And most visitors do not only pay a dollar or two. The "recommended" fee is not so people can cheap out, it is so that all can enjoy no matter what their income. jmo

Your opinion, however I think you referral that people who don't pay the "recommended" fee are just trying to cheap out is wrong. The Met is a heavily funded museum, one of the richest in the world, pays no rent or city property taxes, has an investment portfolio of over 2 billion dollars, receives donations from corporate and private benefactors, and gets over 6 million visitors a year, some of which pay the "recommended" price, some of who become members ( myself included), some who give a dollar or two, many who spend money in the gift shops and cafes/restaurants, etc... etc.... they aren't hurting for money. There are many museums that are struggling, so my suggestion is search them out and support them.

OP, obviously you should pay what you are comfortable paying, be it a dollar, or twenty five dollars. I don't know anyone who understands the "fee" structure at the above museums who pay the full recommended price. I stand by what I stated, if you are paying $60 extra for the HOHO ticket, use it for other attractions.

Thanks everyone for such thoughtful and helpful responses. We're in town for 3 nights pre-cruise which is why I thought the 72 hour pass would be a good option. It also does a night tour (included) and a route through brooklyn.

We are staying in Gramercy park. I figured the bus could take us to the sites, sort of like a taxi. I'm not familiar with distances in Manhattan. How long should it take us to walk from Gramercy Park/Union square to let's say central park?

Thanks again!

You are looking at a good 30 minute walk. Or a 12 minute subway ride, or a 7 or 8 minute taxi ride...depending on traffic.

I think the HOHO bus is the best way to "see it all" for a first visit in NYC. On your next visit you will be able to plan your own tour :D

Your opinion, however I think you referral that people who don't pay the "recommended" fee are just trying to cheap out is wrong. The Met is a heavily funded museum, one of the richest in the world, pays no rent or city property taxes, has an investment portfolio of over 2 billion dollars, receives donations from corporate and private benefactors, and gets over 6 million visitors a year, some of which pay the "recommended" price, some of who become members ( myself included), some who give a dollar or two, many who spend money in the gift shops and cafes/restaurants, etc... etc.... they aren't hurting for money. There are many museums that are struggling, so my suggestion is search them out and support them.

OP, obviously you should pay what you are comfortable paying, be it a dollar, or twenty five dollars. I don't know anyone who understands the "fee" structure at the above museums who pay the full recommended price. I stand by what I stated, if you are paying $60 extra for the HOHO ticket, use it for other attractions.

If you're a member as you claim to be, you've paid for that membership, and that paid membership includes free admission to the Met and the Cloisters...so for you there is no admission fee.

I find your line of reasoning to be odd at the very least if you're actually a member. You pay (through your membership fee), so you support the museum despite your knowledge of how well-funded it is and the tax breaks it gets from the city, etc., yet you seem to think that it's OK for others to not support it while making use of the facilities.

By the way, I would assume that anyone who can afford to vacation in NY City for a few days and is taking a cruise thereafter would be able to afford the suggested admission fee.

Sorry, call me ignorant (oh, wait, you kind of did :roll eyes:), but, if I've paid for a membership, that cost includes admission, so unless I am sneaking into the museum through some back door, I'm not sure how I get in free. I've paid, just not each time I go.

Yes I support the museum through my membership, and in addition, there are some years I also send them a donation. As for my membership, I actually lose money due to the fact that there are years I don't make it to the museum. In a good year I might get there twice, but more often than not it's maybe once a year or not at all.

Why is my reasoning odd? I don't tell people to walk into the museum for free, but I do tell them that they don't have to pay the suggested/recommended fee, which is a fact, and one that many people seem to not know about. To guilt or shame people into paying the full "recommended" fee is wrong.

I honestly don't understand why people make statements about being able to vacation in NYC, or anywhere for that fact, shouldn't be allowed to ask how, or be informed how, to save money and/or budget for other things. I'm sure the OP will spend lots of money in the city. I'd say a large majority of people that come to these boards come hoping to not only learn about the ins and outs of cruising, but also ways in which to save money and perhaps make their budget for a vacation stretch a little further. I know have, and am not the only one. I'm sure you, and just about everyone else here has reaped the benefit of such knowledge at times.

My Grandfather would take me and brother as a kid to Museum of Natural History and the MET, would walk up and give a nickle and ask for 3 admissions (1970's).

Over 6 million people visit the Met a year, think of the numbers.

Met Lawyers (below) say the average paid is $11

Here is an Times article on the subject from 2013 and two lawsuits about the Met and the definition of Admission/Recommended

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/08/arts/design/seeking-clarity-on-fees-at-the-metropolitan-museum.html?_r=0

Sorry, call me ignorant (oh, wait, you kind of did :roll eyes:), but, if I've paid for a membership, that cost includes admission, so unless I am sneaking into the museum through some back door, I'm not sure how I get in free. I've paid, just not each time I go.

Yes I support the museum through my membership, and in addition, there are some years I also send them a donation. As for my membership, I actually lose money due to the fact that there are years I don't make it to the museum. In a good year I might get there twice, but more often than not it's maybe once a year or not at all.

Why is my reasoning odd? I don't tell people to walk into the museum for free, but I do tell them that they don't have to pay the suggested/recommended fee, which is a fact, and one that many people seem to not know about. To guilt or shame people into paying the full "recommended" fee is wrong.

I honestly don't understand why people make statements about being able to vacation in NYC, or anywhere for that fact, shouldn't be allowed to ask how, or be informed how, to save money and/or budget for other things. I'm sure the OP will spend lots of money in the city. I'd say a large majority of people that come to these boards come hoping to not only learn about the ins and outs of cruising, but also ways in which to save money and perhaps make their budget for a vacation stretch a little further. I know have, and am not the only one. I'm sure you, and just about everyone else here has reaped the benefit of such knowledge at times.

No one said you get in free. I said you paid for membership and that paid membership includes free admission.

I'm a native New Yorker and I've never had a permanent home that was outside the city or it's suburbs. I'm one of the people who regularly provide advice here to make people's visits to the area as satisfactory as possible. While it's true that occasionally I learn something new, in reality I'm one of the teachers, not one of the students.

By the way, your earlier statement " I don't know anyone who understands the "fee" structure at the above museums who pay the full recommended price." is laughable. I'm sure you personally know a huge percentage of the millions of annual visitors to the museum, so what or who you say you know should be guidance for everyone.

Edited by njhorseman

No one said you get in free. I said you paid for membership and that paid membership includes free admission.

I'm a native New Yorker and I've never had a permanent home that was outside the city or it's suburbs. I'm one of the people who regularly provide advice here to make people's visits to the area as satisfactory as possible. While it's true that occasionally I learn something new, in reality I'm one of the teachers, not one of the students.

By the way, your earlier statement " I don't know anyone who understands the "fee" structure at the above museums who pay the full recommended price." is laughable. I'm sure you personally know a huge percentage of the millions of annual visitors to the museum, so what or who you say you know should be guidance for everyone.

Guess you and I are both being laughed at over this. You are absolutely right, no one pays less than the recommended amount, no i don't know a huge percentage of the millions of annual visitors to the museum, however you do. You are a wonderful teacher. Consider this student scolded. I can only say what I know as far as the people I know who go to the museum, most of whom are native New Yorker's, or have lived in the city for many, many years.

My Grandfather would take me and brother as a kid to Museum of Natural History and the MET, would walk up and give a nickle and ask for 3 admissions (1970's).

Over 6 million people visit the Met a year, think of the numbers.

Met Lawyers (below) say the average paid is $11

Here is an Times article on the subject from 2013 and two lawsuits about the Met and the definition of Admission/Recommended

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/08/arts/design/seeking-clarity-on-fees-at-the-metropolitan-museum.html?_r=0

As a kid I loved getting the little metal tags to wear after paying to get in. I remember paying a quarter (1960's and '70's).

Thanks again!

To answer the OP, it would take about 45 minutes to walk that. A good way of estimate how long it will take is that you can walk about 1 block per minute (blocks run north to south). Avenues (east to west) take longer.

A good website for directions and gauging distances, including walking, is https://www.hopstop.com/

I personally don't love the HoHo buses, I think riding the subway is part of experiencing the city and most people will help you out if you get lost. But I know some people aren't up to that.

But please, don't come to NYC and eat at chain restaurants! We have so many better options.

... I personally don't love the HoHo buses, I think riding the subway is part of experiencing the city and most people will help you out if you get lost. But I know some people aren't up to that.

But please, don't come to NYC and eat at chain restaurants! We have so many better options.

Totally agree with the restaurant thing...

But I went about 15 times as a tourist in NYC and I have to disagree with the subway suggestion...

Now I mostly use the subway, a bit of taxi and lots of walking to go around the city

It's is NOT a question of safety, access, speed, fee, or anything like that...

But on a first visit to NYC, you ( I ) don't want to go around the city ..under ground :eek: ... Everything is a sight to be seen in NYC... the HOHO bus is the best way IMO to see a great part of it.

Just the Brooklyn loop is worth it...going on the famous bridge by bus is more interesting than using the subway and exit in Brooklyn...

Same for the Uptown loop...a first time tourist would not want to wonder around alone north of Central Park...

Yes with the HOHO you might have your head chopped off by a street sign, or being knock unconscious by a street light or whipped in the face by a tree branch or having a bird doing it's thing on your head.....all part of the experience..right ? ;)

I agree riding the subway is part of the experience, plan on doing a few stations...go from Times Square and stop at the Flatiron Building...heck... why not grab a burger at the Shake Shack :D

So many things to see....so little time....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi thank you everyone for your advice. I too am wondering if one tour company is better than the other. Big bus seems to get better reviews than Grey line. Any thoughts about this?

We prefer to use one or the other for just an orientation tour. We already have tickets for the Statue of Liberty on another day. We also are attending a reception at 230 fifth.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi thank you everyone for your advice. I too am wondering if one tour company is better than the other. Big bus seems to get better reviews than Grey line. Any thoughts about this?

We prefer to use one or the other for just an orientation tour. We already have tickets for the Statue of Liberty on another day. We also are attending a reception at 230 fifth.

Read the reviews and see if there are any issues that repeatedly come up. Trip Advisor is notorious for phony posts so you need to weed out the fake ones.

The first thing I do on Tripadvisor is to put the reviews in order of " recent to older" I do not really care for a bad review more than 18 months old....things can change...for the better :)

I used Grey Line many years ago:) and based on my "old" experience I would try them again. For an orientation tour I think you should do the Uptown+Downtown loop. The other loops are good too but not really "orientation", they are more of an "in dept" tour of NYC.

Have fun !