Help for a UK visitor please

AudBee

Hi

Id like a little info please.....I fly into JFK and I am spending 2 nights in NYC before boarding QM2 for a voyage home......my questions

Cost of a cab from JFK into New York City?

Hotel recommendations (centrally located, as we want to do the tourist stuff)

Cost of cab from New York City hotel to the cruise terminal?

Recommendations of car service we should use if better than off the street cab

and thank you :)

$200 is a tough budget for your dates. That is Columbus Day weekend here. On aa.com I found the Seton Hotel on E.40th St. near Grand Central Station for $180 plus tax. Prepay but cancellable up to 24 hrs ahead. Shared bathroom and possible small bed, but excellent reviews for what is described as a boutique hotel. Very centrally located - convenient to walk many places and excellent subway access. You could take the airport bus from JFK to Grand Central and walk to the hotel.

If you can handle your luggage, a quick, inexpensive transfer from JFK is the Air Train - direct from the terminal to Jamaica Station where there is an easy transfer to Long Island RR train to Penn Station -just across the street from Hotel Pennsylvania (probably $250+/-) which is conveniently centrally located.

A taxi from JFK to Manhattan is a set fare of $52.50; with tip and tolls, plan on ~$70.

The sights that most tourists want to see are spread out in Manhattan. As long as you're near a subway stop (on google maps, they're marked by little blue Ms), it will be easy to get around.

Taxes add 15% to the price of a hotel; if that $200/night is all-in, you're talking about $175 for a hotel, which would be hard to do in October.

If there are only 2 of you, you could consider bidding on Priceline; if you havem't done that before, read betterbidding or biddingfortravel to learn how.

A taxi from JFK to Manhattan is a set fare of $52.50; with tip and tolls, plan on ~$70.

The sights that most tourists want to see are spread out in Manhattan. As long as you're near a subway stop (on google maps, they're marked by little blue Ms), it will be easy to get around.

Taxes add 15% to the price of a hotel; if that $200/night is all-in, you're talking about $175 for a hotel, which would be hard to do in October.

If there are only 2 of you, you could consider bidding on Priceline; if you havem't done that before, read betterbidding or biddingfortravel to learn how.

Thank you.......actually budget is £200 (my error), which is $300 dollars.......priceline sounds interesting I might give that a go :)

Edited by AudBee

I actually like Hotwire because you don't have to fuss around with the bidding on it. There us currently a 4.5* midtown central hotel for $215 which ends up being about $268 with taxes and fees. It has a 90% approval rating which is very high. It will be a very nice centrally located hotel in midtown.

I've used Hotwire in central London and been very happy with it.

In that case, you should consider Hotel Pennsylvania for its location.

I think there are many nicer properties than the Hotel Pennsylvania. The location is nothing special. The 4.5* on Hotwire that 138 suggests will be much nicer.

I think there are many nicer properties than the Hotel Pennsylvania. The location is nothing special. The 4.5* on Hotwire that 138 suggests will be much nicer.

I totally agree. You can do much better and be in a nicer area of town.

:eek:even more confused now lol......definitely thinking of a Manhattan hotel......I have a few websites where i can get deals so not too worried about that........transport is my main concern, or rather question......subway is not an option as too much luggage so we need to know best way to get from JFK to Manhattan, car service or cab? Then again best way to get to the cruise terminal from Manhattan hotel......Thanks again for all your input :)

:eek:even more confused now lol......definitely thinking of a Manhattan hotel......I have a few websites where i can get deals so not too worried about that........transport is my main concern, or rather question......subway is not an option as too much luggage so we need to know best way to get from JFK to Manhattan, car service or cab? Then again best way to get to the cruise terminal from Manhattan hotel......Thanks again for all your input :)

You can take either a taxi or a car service from JFK to Manhattan. The taxi fare is fixed rate at $52.50, plus tolls (which can be zero) and tip. Figure on $65-$70. Car service will cost about the same.

From the hotel to the cruise terminal (presumably the QM2 will be berthed in Brooklyn) take a taxi or car service. Taxi fare will be metered, based on the distance traveled and time spent waiting in traffic, car service will quote a flat rate. Figure on a fare of about $30 to $40 from midtown Manhattan to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

Two of the biggest car services in NY are:

Dial 7 http://www.dial7.com

Carmel http://www.carmellimo.com

Edited by njhorseman

Personally I prefer getting a cab at JFK. Whenever I arrange a car service to pick me up I just end up frustrated with trying to find them and if your flight is delayed that's a whole other hassle. Whereas the taxi line is pretty straightforward. Yes, occasionally there is a wait. But I prefer chancing that over trying to locate my car. YMMV, but that's my two cents.