Stingrays at Mahogany Bay beach?

RedbirdFL

Are there stingrays in the water at MB?

A few years ago, I got stung by one in shallow water in FL, and I've been pretty afraid to get in the water since then. The beach where it happened recommended the "stingray shuffle" to scare them away while you were walking in the ocean but I was in below-knee-deep water and thought I would be ok. My wound hurt A LOT for about 24 hours (and I'm not a pain wimp), and it took several weeks for it to heal.

Do they have any warnings in the area about the stingray shuffle?

Do they have any warnings in the area about the stingray shuffle?

No warnings but if it makes you more comfortable then do it, as long as your not on or near the corals. Stingrays are in every ocean in the world.

Seems the problem was you were warned about them but chose not to heed the warnings because for some reason you thought they would not be in a foot or so of water, have you ever been to ny of the amusement places where you can feed them? they are often a foot or so deep along the sides

We've been there for a land stay as well as a couple day trips, and never saw any along the beach. Nor any warning signs for anything.

If there were warnings before entering an area (water or land) I wouldn't presume anything and would avoid it like the plague. Maybe I'm overly cautious. :o

But what you "thought would be okay" was your downfall.:eek:

Have a great time on the beach.:)

Archived