Sihanoukville, Cambodia

ibfern

Sihanoukville, Cambodia

12/25/2014

This was a tender port and we were on the first tender. We had a private tour with eight of us hosted by Don Bosco's hotel school for disadvantaged children. Our guides were Bunkea and Sokea, and they were wonderful, touching guides. Our first visit was the very stinky fish market, located on the docks close to where we tendered in. We walked cross unstable boards and it was kind of scary, but our guides guided us through with ease.

We piled into our small 10 seater van and headed for an interesting Buddhist temple on a hill. As we got out of the car we were surrounded by a large group of children, they were orphaned beggars, and they were very sad and touching. I was afraid to get money out because there was so many of them I thought it might be dangerous. We walked around the temple saw a monk doing some kind of cleansing ritual, it was very interesting and also very sad. I was walking around holding hands with two of the little girls who put flowers in my hair. Then they started asking for money and I didn't think it would be right give them any. I wish I brought some candy or toys to give them. It is very sobering to interact with them.

Next we headed to Don Bosco's ice cream parlor where we had coffee,tea, cookies, drinks, and ice cream. The ice cream was delicious, I had mango and passion fruit. We learned that part of Don Bosco's hotel training included making this wonderful Italian ice cream. We left a generous tip and departed for our next stop, a beautiful waterfall and park area. We climbed around the rocks & took some pictures. We crossed some funky wooden bridges carefully because there was on coming traffic; some people, as well as some motorcycles! As we reach the other side of the banks I was pushed aside by a rude boy and his parents. I could not help laughing when the nasty mom slipped and fell, the father started screaming at her so loudly and the little girl cried as if she fell. I felt sorry for the girl as the father slapped her! OMG, this was unbelievable behavior and later we saw the on the tender boat, they were loud and rude there as well. They clearly missed the message about this place, how blessed we all are and how grateful we should be that we can afford this lovely cruise. Sihanouk is clearly filled with a few "haves" and mostly "have-nots".

Back to the tour.after the waterfall we headed towards the spot where we were going to see monkeys. We saw so many monkeys it was awesome, they were eating out of peoples hands and very very friendly almost to friendly. I spotted a mother with her baby clinging to her underbelly, it was very cool. Many of the monkeys were grooming each other, picking what I assume where fleas and other debris off each other. After a few minutes of watching them we got back into the van and headed to the beach.

The beach was unbelievable it was very beautiful The white sand was gorgeous and the water looked quite inviting. Sadly there was beggars and poor people everywhere. We could see that there were some very fancy resort on the beach as well as shacks in a juxtaposition of realities. In this place you see giant mansions and resorts on the beaches with lines (walls) separating the poor from the wealthy everywhere. So sad. Some of the man went down to the water and put there feet in, we all took a picture the headed to Don Bosco's hotel for our Christmas lunch.

They had a banquet room filled with food for us, a magnificent Christmas lunch. We met several of the volunteers who help run the school, and then we had our meal. It was yummy, one of the best meals I've had on this trip. We had lovely appetizers such as cheese balls, and tomatoes filled with spicy cous-cous, cheeses, and salads. The main courses included Turkey with all the trimmings, omelets, a fish dish, and lasagna. Deserts were plentiful with a Christmas log, cookies, lemon pie, fruit, and more. It was an incredible meal prepared by a chef trained here!

Many of us decided to sponsor a child for next year, for $250 we could help a child learn a trade. I decided that this is what I wanted for my anniversary gift! My favorite gift ever! After lunch the children sang Christmas songs to us then we sang to them, it was a joyous experience. We exchanged Facebook info and friended each other using the free wifi at the hotel. This was quite a touching experience.

We headed back to the port and Sokea tearfully said goodby to us, we all wanted to take them with us! We hugged both kids many times, having made deep connections with them during our tour. This was the best excursion I ever did, the best Xmas ever, and truly a life changing experience. I'll never forget those kids, and Don Bosco's hotel. There are over a hundred of these places throughout the world and I will always be looking for them when I a, looking for tours.

We paid $60 pp for the who day including lunch, Ice cream and coffee stop, and all entrance fees. I highly recommend this experience to anybody coming here in the future.

Tour info: Sihanoukville, Cambodia

We used Don Bosco's hotel school for disadvantaged children and this was an incredible experience. Google Don Bosco, well worth the $60 pp we paid which included a lavish lunch. Ice cream stop, a visit to all the best sights, and the opportunity to interact with some incredible young adults and others. I highly recommend this tour to all who visit.

We did the Don Bosco tour last month and can only echo ibfern's comments. Whilst our lunch might not have been so extensive as the Christmas Day lunch, it was beautifully presented and delicious. The hotel school students were a delight.

A memorable tour that is excellent value for money.

Edited by Omega1

We did the Don Bosco tour last month and can only echo ibfern's comments. Whilst our lunch might not have been so extensive as the Christmas Day lunch, it was beautifully presented and delicious. The hotel school students were a delight.

A memorable tour that is excellent value for money.

We were celebrating our anniversary and decided to sponsor a child at that time and each year onward as our best anniversary gifts to each other, the gift of helping these wonderful, deserving children!

Don Bosco's is great place and the tour was a very "feel good, do good" experience!