Never too old!

Musicus

Please note #1449 post. That is the most recent. I don't expect one each and every day from him. He is still e-mailing things that he enjoys to me, but nothing else.

Oh duh on my part...I had read that to mean your Steve, who was struck by the truck. Don't know why I should have known with the music refererence it was from Egon's Steve...oops!

Patty

Oh duh on my part...I had read that to mean your Steve, who was struck by the truck. Don't know why I should have known with the music refererence it was from Egon's Steve...oops!

Patty

I now can see where you were confused. My Steve is in rehab and apparently progressing slowly. Some depression has set in.

Pat,

The dog video is hilarious! Egon has not lost his sense of humour:)

Will keep good thoughts going for your Steve,

Gail

Gail..the "stuff" he sends me gives me an indication of his frame of mind. Just wish I had a new video of him playing the piano for us all. Maybe I'll request it soon.

As for "my" Steve, his Mom told me he may be coming "home" to her house in October because of regulations. She is a CNA supervisor at a nursing home. Their house, luckily, has a handle on the bathtub from the previous owner. They are also going to empty Steve's apartment soon and put his things in storage, as it is on the second floor and can't be alone.

Prayers for both of them need to keep coming for these 2 special guys!

I just read all 74 pages of this fasinating thread! It makes me appreciate life more, with all its ups and downs, joys and sorrows. But mostly it makes me appreciate humanity.

One of the funniest quotes I read from Egon's journey was when he was people-watching on the ship. He was commenting about the frenzied mass of people embarking on the ship, everyone was rushing around with a look of either panic or annoyance, and acting as if their meal would be their last as they heaped their plates full of food that was mostly wasted. He wrote "What I realized is that humanity is nothing to shout about." I found his observation of people on vacation and his comment hilarious! How often have I thought the same way!

Later, when I read the touching stories of everyone on this thread, including Egon's, where it involved the help/prayers or others, I was touched. The journey of Egon's adventures (along with life's experience from a few of you) taught me that there is hope for us, after all. Life is glorious, isn't it?

It's not the experience in life that counts, but the life you experience.

I just read all 74 pages of this fasinating thread! It makes me appreciate life more, with all its ups and downs, joys and sorrows. But mostly it makes me appreciate humanity.

One of the funniest quotes I read from Egon's journey was when he was people-watching on the ship. He was commenting about the frenzied mass of people embarking on the ship, everyone was rushing around with a look of either panic or annoyance, and acting as if their meal would be their last as they heaped their plates full of food that was mostly wasted. He wrote "What I realized is that humanity is nothing to shout about." I found his observation of people on vacation and his comment hilarious! How often have I thought the same way!

Later, when I read the touching stories of everyone on this thread, including Egon's, where it involved the help/prayers or others, I was touched. The journey of Egon's adventures (along with life's experience from a few of you) taught me that there is hope for us, after all. Life is glorious, isn't it?

It's not the experience in life that counts, but the life you experience.

And this thread keeps growing and growing and growing because there are still some people in this world who actually care about others. We don't get the same results from them, but that doesn't matter. Egon sure is an inspriation to us all. None of us know when we will take our last breath. Life is glorious! Confusing at times, but glorious.:)

Edited by yellowbird23

I got an email from Egon. I am hoping he will continue to write about his observations and perceptions, especially after what he has been through. The journey he is on is much different from what he or any of us expected, but it is still a magnificant journey that he can share with us. With over 139,687 views, there are many of us who are not ready to have him "retire."

Dear Karie,

of all the comments on my musings yours takes of cake! Thank you so much!

I am recuperating from the bladder operation and well as from the stroke, but I am still more or less "speechless" - but I can write. I am now in Canada at my son's place www.torbay.net but I have grave doubts that I might be embarking on "many more exciting journeys" as you suggest.

Maybe you would like to look at my website (Below).

Best regards,

Egon

http://home.cablerocket.com/~egon/index.htm

Edited by Just4You

I got an email from Egon. I am hoping he will continue to write about his observations and perceptions, especially after what he has been through. The journey he is on is much different from what he or any of us expected, but it is still a magnificant journey that he can share with us. With over 139,687 views, there are many of us who are not ready to have him "retire."

Dear Karie,

of all the comments on my musings yours takes of cake! Thank you so much!

I am recuperating from the bladder operation and well as from the stroke, but I am still more or less "speechless" - but I can write. I am now in Canada at my son's place www.torbay.net but I have grave doubts that I might be embarking on "many more exciting journeys" as you suggest.

Maybe you would like to look at my website (Below).

Best regards,

Egon

http://home.cablerocket.com/~egon/index.htm

Just discovered this website and now this thread. I am hooked and have been reading alll day. What a man!! Thanks Karie for the update on Egon!!

quote]

What is his email address.?? I would like to send him a note.

I was very concerned because I received nothing from Egon yesterday. I heard from him 5 times today already and would love you to see what he sent, but it wouldn't be allowed on here I'm afraid. It shows his frame of mind as always. You can e-mail me if you want to see it at proos at windstream dot net.:D

Edited by yellowbird23

Finally a strong update from Egon. Makes me a little sad for him.

My dear Karin,

your up-beat email, so encouraging and so caring, touched me deeply. But much to my chagrin I fail to find much excitement in my present state of suspended animation.

While it hardly has anything to do with cruising, I agree whatever small readership interested in a detailed account of what happened to me healthwise, might benefit. So here goes.

In February 2012 I noticed blood in my urine. I was then in Cozumel, Mexico, went to the hospital and had it tested, but there was no infection. During the coming month it disppeared for some time, and then came back steadily. On July 2, in Southampton where an cousin of mine had arranged to be seen by a urogolist in a private hospital, lab tests were made, ultra sound and CT scans (2) were odered, all on the some day. Result: I have a 4x2/12 tumor in my bladder. The ship, MSC Opera, return on July 10, 18 and 26, so the opration was arranged for the 13th of July. I had time to think about it, and rather than impose on my cousin (who is in her 80s), i cancelled the operation and return to Canada, which I did July 13, forgoing two trips on MSC Opera and 36 days on Princess Cruises which would have taken me to New York.

I was able to see an urologist and the operation was scheduled July 27. But in the night of

the 24 i had a stroke, my son Steve reactued promptly and I was by ambulance brought to the hospital. I was lucky in that I wasn't paralized, only lost my speech. The nest few days where a delicate balance of how of many bloodthiners to give me, to prevent a second stroke, and exsessive bleeding during the operation. The result: it was cancerous, but I am not going to do anything about it.

I am making small progress in my speech; apart from seeing a speech pathologist twice a week, I am reciting pages on a dictionary or reading aloud pages of "Anne of Green Gables"in my Kobe Reader.

My big problem is to decide what do to with the rest of my life. If I got my speech back I am tempted to go back to sea, but there are other manifestations also connected with the operation as well as the stroke speak against this. So I have three choices. The easiest one is Marina Point Village in in North Bay which I visited, and one which would be close to my son. Then there is Mariposa Garden in Osoyoos, which I already knew, and since I have lived there for 35 years, I have a lot of friends. Then there is my return to Bern, Switzerland, where I have many friends and in-laws and but this would be a complicated move. But I would love it.

This it how it stands today.

Dear Karie, you of course may post this forgoing, but I send a copy to my good friend Pat Roos,

proos@windstream.net, who has been responsible for posting on Cruisecritic my ramblings for ever.

Much love -

Egon

PS: How about Karie - you have a lot of information on me?

It might be transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder but unsure of the stage (I'm a doctor). I believe Andy Williams died recently of bladder cancer. I'm betting he still has a few good years left, after all, he is otherwise healthy, brilliant, and a talented musician.

So relieved his mind is intact and he continues to keep us in the loop. Now if we can just get him to write about his perceptions and observations, or his new "journey," maybe it will help form connections around the damaged part of the brain.

I just want to scoop him up in my arms and protect him! I invited him to our home near Houston this winter because it gets cold where he is. Also secretly wishing he gets to go back to Bern Switzerland. Anyway, I thinks he still looks great (MSC slippers and all :D).

Im so happy to see such an upbeat email from him. Whatever he does I hopwe he gets his speech back and ends up wherever would make him the most happy! Would love to keep seeing updates. After reading this whole thread I feel like he is family. Best of luck and health Egon!

It might be transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder but unsure of the stage (I'm a doctor). I believe Andy Williams died recently of bladder cancer. I'm betting he still has a few good years left, after all, he is otherwise healthy, brilliant, and a talented musician.

So relieved his mind is intact and he continues to keep us in the loop. Now if we can just get him to write about his perceptions and observations, or his new "journey," maybe it will help form connections around the damaged part of the brain.

I just want to scoop him up in my arms and protect him! I invited him to our home near Houston this winter because it gets cold where he is. Also secretly wishing he gets to go back to Bern Switzerland. Anyway, I thinks he still looks great (MSC slippers and all :D).

I told Egon that he has to wait until I meet him to decide where he is going so he can play "Moon River" for me. That song is my favorite of all time and he knows it. What a nice gesture to invite him to Houston. I took note of the slippers as well.

Edited by yellowbird23