Senior citizen and out of shape

FAD

The last time I went snorkeling it was a sad waste of time. I am 65, out of shape and a bit overweight. With the waves tossing the boat, the type with the low ledge/step in the back) I had a lot of trouble getting in and out of the boat. And once out I couldn’t swim well enough to get to some of the reef site.

Hate the thought that my snorkel days, few that they were, are over. I do love the fishies.

Any suggestions for an easy snorkel site and hopefully one that actually has some pretty and intereting fish.

There are many Caribbean islands that you can do a beach entry. I went to Bonaire last Dec. and am going again this Dec. The amount of fish 10 feet from shore was unbelievable!!

Also I would suggest you wear a snorkle vest, it is for safety as well as making your snorkle adventure easier.

You don't have to be in great shape to snorkel, but it would appear that you need to find a place and start to exercise to get ready for your next trip. I too have been guilty of being out of shape and then deciding too late to get ready for a ski trip, etc. I would start a walking program immediately, and then after a couple of weeks get some resistance bands, go to a gym if that's possible and use some Nautilus or similar equipment. A Bullworker classic or their Steel Bow might be something you could use at home and get into shape over the course of time. It should make your next snorkeling trip more enjoyable.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have an itinerary that you are wanting to go to? Eastern, Western, Southern, Bermuda...you didn't say.

There are tons of places that you can snorkel with easy beach entry right into the water where you can even stand and see the fish or be in very shallow water with the coral and sea animals.

St Thomas, eastern, is one of them with a wonderful beach at Sapphire. It doesn't get much easier than that for snorkeling.

Here's a review I did from there: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=26210037&postcount=1

Another that is basically the same, beach entrance and fish and coral right there, western, is West End beach at Roatan.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30663211&postcount=24

There are other places like Cozumel that isn't exactly a "walk of the sandy beach into the water" type snorkeling, but still there are steps leading down into the water and area's that you can just float along side the shore and view tons of fish and coral.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30683350&postcount=59

All of these places have snorkeling life vest that you can rent. I'm a decent swimmer but would still never snorkel without one (unless I'm just standing in the water). ;) It's just safer that way. The sea can be unpredictable and you never know when a boat is going to go by causing waves and such.

Hopefully you will find the perfect place to go. Enjoy yourself and don't give up on seeing the fishies yet. :)

Now that you have narrowed down either Bonaire or the Cayman Islands I think i'll make a final decision based on the snorkeling and "other activites". I've looked at http://www.infobonaire.com/otheractivities.html and "50 things to do in Bonaire" and next i'll research the Cayman Island.

Thanks so much for your replies.

Eden rock really is awesome, easy to access, and close to the tender pier. Easy swimming and almost zero current most of the time.

• 1 year later...
Any suggestions for an easy snorkel site and hopefully one that actually has some pretty and interesting fish.

Hi FAD, Did you ever go snorkeling? Where did you go and how did you do?

I love mitsugirly's pictures of Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas! It's on my list of possibilities for my Nov. 20, 2013 visit to St. Thomas on NCL Gem. It looks like paradise! I'm also looking for easy places to snorkel in St. Martin, St. Thomas or Samana in Dominican Republic.

Happy cruising!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
There are many Caribbean islands that you can do a beach entry. I went to Bonaire last Dec. and am going again this Dec. The amount of fish 10 feet from shore was unbelievable!!

Also I would suggest you wear a snorkle vest, it is for safety as well as making your snorkle adventure easier.

Please give us the name of the great walk in snorkel spots in Bonaire. Did you take a tour and who are they? Did you have a guide?

Archived