From Venice to Slovenia

BandBinPA

We will be starting in Venice for the new Viking Ocean Cruise in early September. My husband and I are interested in a few days in Slovenia before our cruise starts. How hard is it driving to Slovenia from the Venice airport where we would probably rent the car? What is a vignette, I saw on a post where you need this to drive out of Italy into Slovenia. Any info as far as route and what to expect would be beneficial.

I don't see anything on the Auto Europe site about that, it may be an older requirement that is now passe. From the AE Terms & Conditions:

'Travel is permitted into Western European countries as well as Slovenia and Croatia.'

I always check both Auto Europe (http://www.autoeurope.com) and Kemwell (http://www.kemwell.com) for pricing when renting cars in Europe, I've almost always found them to have the best rates.

A vignette is a special tax sticker on your rental car. I believe Switzerland requires them- at least they did two years ago when we last drove in Switzerland. Can't speak to Slovenia. Some rental cars may have them, if they have been purchased by previous renters, or that car was at one time assigned in the country requiring them.

If your car doesn't have them, there is usually a location very near the border where you can acquire them. For Switzerland, it was something like 30 euros. The fine for not having one is pretty steep.

Edited by CruiserBruce

From the official tourism web site for Slovenia,

Travelling by car around Slovenia is very straightforward, with the roads clearly and well signposted. Some local roads can get a little narrow and winding, but for all that they are pleasant and interesting. There are plenty of petrol stations. And if you want to get to the other end of the country in a hurry, you can take the motorways, for which you need a vignette.

Don’t risk driving on the motorways without a road toll vignette – the fines are heavy. Vignettes (stickers) can be bought at any petrol station.

So apparently it is required in lieu of tolls on major roads.

The info came from here: http://www.slovenia.info/en/By-car.htm?by_car=0&lng=2

Austria requires a vignette, also. On the autostrada between Venice and Innsbruck, there were several of the petrol stations just before the border that sold the vignettes.

As you usually travel at least a little on the highways and not just the secondary roads, it's a good idea to always buy that vignette.

If you rent, always ask if they have the vignette or if they can get it for you…

I can say that at least driving in Italy is pretty easy. It is within Florence and Rome that it is chaotic. Once outside of these cities, it's nice. Familiarize yourself with the typical international signage to ease the trip.

I am hoping my next road trip over in Europe does my Venice - Bolzano - Dolomites and into Slovenia and down to Trieste and back to Venice. The Dolomites are NOT to be missed!!!

As other described, vignettes are replacement for paying toll for using Slovenian highways. Replacement does not means you can choose how you will pay it but you MUST BUY vignettes and I suggest you to buy it in Italy maybe on last gas station before entering Slovenia. Slovenians are very strict about their control of that vignettes and you will pay 350€ if you are caught without it.

That happen to me last year, I entered Slovenia from Croatia (I do it all year round, and I am well familiar with it) and by mistake forgot to take turn to first gas station to buy vignet, in next 10km I run into vignette check and got penalty.

Also pay attention on height of your car because cleaver Slovenians introduced special vignettes for vans and other "high" cars so you have to mesure it :)... but more you can find on their web site http://www.dars.si/

Edited by AT8500