Need Itinerary Help Please!!!!! Overwhelmed!!!!

jormot

This is our first and possibly only cruise to Alaska and there are so many options out there from different cruise lines to different itineraries. The two I am looking at are:

Royal Caribbean Radiance Southbound from Seward or Princess Southbound from Whittier. The main difference is Princess goes to Glacier Bay & Hubbard Glacier with 3 port stops while RC goes to Hubbard Glacier but has an extra port stop in Icy Strait Point.

For those of you who have been, some of you multiple times, which would you suggest and why? Knowing we may never make it back to Alaska we want the best most varied experiance.

What's at Icy Strait Point that interests you enough to miss Glacier Bay NATIONAL PARK ?

That's just it...I don't know. I have always assumed time in port is better than time on the ship but maybe that is not the case.

That's just it...I don't know. I have always assumed time in port is better than time on the ship but maybe that is not the case.

In Alaska, it's the journey on the ship through places like Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier that are really special. Scenery itself is the focus here. I'd go with the Princess itinerary.

Not really the case in Alaska. These aren't simple "sea days". Princess will get you the "big three" ports. Cruising the glaciers is a huge part of the general Alaskan cruise experience.

On this board search for Icy Strait Point and see if there's any excursions here that you feel are a "must do" for your family. I have never been there but from others trip reports the "things to do" seem to be zip lining and whale watching, both of which are available at other ports.

Then, search for glacier bay and take a look at the photos. Way the photos verses the shore excursions you found and then decide for your self which is best for your family

I had this dilemma as well and decided on the Millennium, which sails the same itinerary as Radiance. We did a whale watch in Icy Strait, aka Hoonah. It was fabulous! They are trying to build a dock in Icy Strait so you don't have to tender any more, but politics is involved, so who knows when or if it will ever get built. I chose this itinerary because I wanted to maximize my time on land this trip.

Next trip (and yes there will be one), I'll probably opt for a cruise to Glacier Bay.

Don't consider Glacier Bay a day at sea, although technically it is. Look at it more like a fantastic excursion where you don't have to get off your ship, you get fed all day and the Rangers come to you! I think most people think of GB as a real highlight!

It's best to do a little research and learn about your options. For every person who says to skip Icy Strait, someone else says they had a great excursion there.

Perhaps you could borrow a few Alaska travel books from your library. There are a few devoted to Alaska cruises .... Ann Vipond's "Alaska by Cruiseship", Fodors " ALaska Ports of Call, and Joe Uptons "alaska cruise handbook'. LEARN about all the options so that you can choose an itinerary that best suits YOUR interests and priorities.

Another great resource ... read the thread called "2013 Cruise Review List" where you can read detailed trip reviews and look at photos.

Check out the cruise reviews for sure but also google "cruise videos" if you like to see some clips of others cruises. Can't speak on RCI but Princess is very good and the train from Anchorage to Whittier is pretty cool also.

This is our first and possibly only cruise to Alaska and there are so many options out there from different cruise lines to different itineraries. The two I am looking at are:

Royal Caribbean Radiance Southbound from Seward or Princess Southbound from Whittier. The main difference is Princess goes to Glacier Bay & Hubbard Glacier with 3 port stops while RC goes to Hubbard Glacier but has an extra port stop in Icy Strait Point.

For those of you who have been, some of you multiple times, which would you suggest and why? Knowing we may never make it back to Alaska we want the best most varied experiance.

Had the same dilemma as you. Settled on RCl because it was slightly less. My experience - the whale watching trip out of ISP was undoubtedly the best. Having said that the Hubbard Glacier day, we couldn't get close to the glacier so would have loved an additional glacier day.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived