Go With Gus versus NCL

macrush53

I really want to do the Humanitarian trip with Go With Gus in Guatemala but it's my first time on a cruise and I am scared that we won't make it back to the ship in time.

What are other people's experiences? Do you feel totally comfortable with the private tour and returning on time?

I really want to do the Humanitarian trip with Go With Gus in Guatemala but it's my first time on a cruise and I am scared that we won't make it back to the ship in time.

What are other people's experiences? Do you feel totally comfortable with the private tour and returning on time?

It really depends on the details. If your time on shore is 9 hours and your tour is 4 hours, then that reduces your chance of being late. If you have researched the tour company and find them reliable, that should give you comfort. Also, find out details about the specific transportation on the tour, state of the roads, and any factors that may impact delay. Also, remember to consider the country and culture you are visiting. If your tour is scheduled for the full time the ship is in port, the roads are poor, transportation less than topnoch it might not be a great idea.

Also consider your (and your traveling companion's) tolerance for stress - and whether you want to deal with it on your vacation. I have often suggested to DH that we try to book a private tour and he always says the same thing. For him, on vacation, it's not worth the added stress of worrying about whether we'd make it back to the ship on time. He would rather pay more, and have fewer options, secure in the knowledge that if we are on a ship sponsored tour, they will not leave us behind if there is a problem.

My parents on the other hand, always go off on their own and do independent tours. They don't worry about it. The stress of the possibility of being left behind, it just doesn't bother them.

Different strokes for different folks.

:-) amcb

After our first 2 or 3 cruises we have always done private excursions, including in Turkey and Egypt on our most recent cruise. We have never been disappointed, and have not ever regretted taking a private excursion. We actually feel more secure about returning to the ship on time when we are dealing directly with the operator than we do when relying on the ship's chosen operator.

As for the ship not leaving without you if you are on a ship excursion, don't be so sure. The ship cannot wait forever. We witnessed the Carnival Spirit leaving the Captain behind (along with two busloads of others) in Kauai, Hawaii because they got delayed by traffic. The port authorities there do not allow ships to operate in the harbor after sunset, and we sailed off without them, actually seeing the buses arrive at the dock just a few minutes after we pushed off.

Were you concerned about getting the ship in time?

Nope...There was no issue. We had plenty of time to spare. :)

When you find someone highly recommended on the Port of Call Boards here, it's usually a safe bet.

These independent operators know of Cruise Critic and they know having anyone miss the ship will result in a posting here and will cause a huge dent in their business. They take getting passengers back to the ship very seriously.

I first read about Go With Gus here and no one had a complaint, so I went with him and was so happy that I did!!

In my opinion ... (and I work in Guatemala) I would suggest a couple of things to you. First do some research ... and not just on Cruise Critic. Check out other internet site that "Go with Gus" may have reviews posted. Also I suggest that you check out the lasted news information about Guatemala. This may give you a better idea of what decision will work for you and your fellow travelers.

Gus is very good and people who travel to Guatemala really enjoy his tour company ..... however, one very important thing to keep in mind is that situations happens at no fault of the independant operator and if you don't make it back to the ship in time..... the ship will leave you.

In this case I would spend the extra money and book through the ship. Giving myself, peace.

Good luck on your decision and safe travels.

OceanDreams

• 2 years later...
In my opinion ... (and I work in Guatemala) I would suggest a couple of things to you. First do some research ... and not just on Cruise Critic. Check out other internet site that "Go with Gus" may have reviews posted. Also I suggest that you check out the lasted news information about Guatemala. This may give you a better idea of what decision will work for you and your fellow travelers.

Gus is very good and people who travel to Guatemala really enjoy his tour company ..... however, one very important thing to keep in mind is that situations happens at no fault of the independant operator and if you don't make it back to the ship in time..... the ship will leave you.

In this case I would spend the extra money and book through the ship. Giving myself, peace.

Good luck on your decision and safe travels.

OceanDreams

We always book our own private tours. If we miss the ship, so what, our VISA card will get us to the next port in a timely fashion. Make sure you also have your passport with you.

Archived