Need advice from Arabella cruisers

ddgg

My DH and I are thinking about a cruise on the Arabella next spring. It would be our first on a windjammer-type ship. Our 1st choice is the Spanish Virgin Islands, 2nd choice US/British Virgin Islands.

When I called them, they recommended the BVI as a first cruise. I think her reason was something about "protected waters" in the BVI as opposed to open water on the SVI itinerary.

We are elite on Princess, so we have sailed before. I do not like the big ships whose stabilizers eliminate the "motion of the ocean". I like to feel the ocean, and neither of us has ever been seasick. We are 61 & 62 with no mobility issues.

Veteran Arabella alumni, what's your opinion on the SVI as a first cruise?

• 1 month later...

My wife and I cruised (or is that sailed) on the Arabella in December 2009 in the BVI.

It was great! Cabin was a bit crowded but that was worth the experience.

Even in the BVI, Captain Sandy found some "rough" waters but it was fine.

I am not sure about the Spanish version but try the BVI.

You may want to look at the post from Sept 20 2011 regarding Arabella ceasing operations for the forseable future.

Those of us with future cruises booked received word that they will no longer be sailing.

However, I'll answer the question of BVI vs SVI anyway in case you decide to do it on another vessel (charter or something). I've done both SVI and BVI, and the SVI definitely had rougher waters. The BVI was calm sailing our entire time and the SVI we had one day that was pretty rough between Vieques and Culebra and another day somewhat rough between Culebra and St. John. On the BVI cruise as far as know nobody felt seasick, but on the SVI cruise about a third of the passengers seemed bothered by the motion--some were quite ill.

Archived