Poseidon

jingming

I know this isn't a NCL thing. But would you watch and still go on a cruise? It seems interesting but I don't know if it's wise to watch this before my first cruise in Sept! I guess it's especially not for little children.:p

I know this isn't a NCL thing. But would you watch and still go on a cruise? It seems interesting but I don't know if it's wise to watch this before my first cruise in Sept! I guess it's especially not for little children.:p

I am looking forward to the remake. I would watch it on a cruise if it was showing on board.

I don't watch movies very often, but my main reason for not particularly wanting to see this one is that the remakes just usually aren't as good. If I hear that it's worth watching, we'll probably go see it. Then again, my cruise isn't until November, so I'll have a chance to forget it by then :D .

On the first day of our first cruise, we were still in port. My sister and I had gone back to our cabins to see if our other sister had arrived yet (which she had), and pick up some documents we needed. I walked out of my cabin and burst into laughter. They both looked at me and asked why I was laughing. I said, "Can you hear the music?" They said yes, but we don't know what it is. I laughed even harder before informing them that it was the music from the original Poseidon Adventure -- "There's got to be a morning after". Made me wonder about the sense of humor of whoever was responsible for picking the music on board.

I'm torn on this. The original film is such a classic! I'm just not sure whether I want to see the remake or not. I guess I'll wait to see what the reviews say, but either way, it won't deter me from cruising again.

Sure, we'll see it! It's just fantasy.

Those of you who've been on the Jewel will understand this: When Mr. Droopy and I were on her last fall, every time we passed through the atrium Mr. Droopy would whisper something like, "Those icicles are really going to hurt when the ship turns over like in the Poseidon Adventure and the ceiling becomes the floor." Cracked me up every time.

Being a "cruise ship fanatic," I will watch any movie relating to cruise ships.....good or bad.

Do you watch movies where cars crash, where planes crash, etc.?

Do you still drive in cars and fly in planes or do anything else that is in movies?

My wife does not want to see it, so I am going to see it with my kids (all going on the cruise with me in July)!

Don

I have absolutely no interest in seeing the 3rd version of a fantasy about a cruise ship floating upside down. Repetition cannot make it any more believable. It also demonstrates the lack of originality in a Hollywood that believes special effects can compensate for the lack of an entertaining new story.

Don't let it deter you from your cruise. You have a better chance of punting a football and having it land on the moon than having that scenario take place.

Take it as what it is: just entertainment. Nothing more.

True story: I was talking to a co-worker a while back about cruising, and he asked me, "what if something happens?" Then of course, the inevitable "Titanic" story comes up. I told him, 1) we're off the coast of Mexico, so it's unlikely we'll hit an iceberg ("The only ice you'll hit is the one when you get to the bottom of the glass!"), 2) we're 20 miles off the coast, not 1500 miles out, and 3) if anything should happen, the Coast Guard and the Mexican Navy would be on us like that.

He's going to book the trip and propose to his girlfriend.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Jerry

But in the original only 6 were rescued. Boy must have been a small ship. What happened to all of the others? Blame it on the bermuda triangle? Going to be tough to be as good as the original. The version that was on TV a few months ago, was the exact of the original. They could have been a little more creative. Must be a lot of people out here that don't remember the original. I must be showing my age........:)

But in the original only 6 were rescued. Boy must have been a small ship. What happened to all of the others? Blame it on the bermuda triangle? Going to be tough to be as good as the original. The version that was on TV a few months ago, was the exact of the original. They could have been a little more creative. Must be a lot of people out here that don't remember the original. I must be showing my age........:)

I'm not even counting the made-for-TV version because it was so laughably bad!

Then again, Shelley Winters' pre-death speech was a classic of maudlin bad acting!

This stuff is just for fun. Call it mind candy.

As you can see in my signature I am an original WAVE RIDER. Though it was scary while it was going on things like that don't happen often. So yes I will see the movie and be able to somewhat relive what happened on our cruise. As Jetskier said we suffered only minor injuries and broken windows on our Dawn Rogue Wave Adventure. Will also be sailing on the Dawn again in April 2007.

When we walked to pier 88 on april 26 to get on the Dawn, there was a huge sign about the Poseidon movie right next to the pier! We found that pretty funny actually, and I have probably never felt as safe on a holiday as I did on that cruise. Well, maybe in Tokyo but nothing compares to that.

I might as well see this movie along with Titanic before this Sunday and my first cruise to get me ready.:D :eek:

LOL I will probably see the new movie. I was amazed when I booked my first cruise to the south caribbean 4 years ago and told people about it.

I was amazed at how many said "didn't you see Titanic?" :)

My first thought was hmm ice burgs down in the south caribbean are not usually a problem and I am a woman so I get first dibs on the life boat!

I can't believe this thread has been allowed to go on. Last month my daughter and I watched the old movie, because she had never seen it (she's 17) in anticipation of seeing the remake. When I asked on CC if anyone was planning on seeing it the thread was QUICKLY REMOVED. I don't know why.:confused: :confused:

I'm not even counting the made-for-TV version because it was so laughably bad!

Then again, Shelley Winters' pre-death speech was a classic of maudlin bad acting!

This stuff is just for fun. Call it mind candy.

I remember the original being so fantastic that we rented it before our Star cruise, just to get "in the mood" (we are a little bizarre) Watching it as an adult was not nearly as much fun as it was in my youger days. It was really campy, terrible acting, and cheap special effects. But you can't beat Shelley Winters floating past and hubby still thinks Pamela Sue Martin is the best. Our kids thought it was funny.

While on our cruise, I noticed my daughter always looking at the ceilings. She was trying to figure out what it would look like upside down--and where would be the best spot when we flipped over:eek:

I will probably rent the new one-it should be in stores soon!!

My daughter and I are going to Bermuda on the Majesty in June. She just told me she's taking me to see "Poseidon" on Sunday. Wonder where she got her funny sense of humor?:rolleyes:

Heck, I'm going to get married on my Bermuda cruise in June 2007. But my fiance and I are going to watch Poseidon at an IMAX theatre (gigantic screens) this Friday, opening day.

Hopefully we both won't be scared to go on that cruise next year! :D

While on our cruise, I noticed my daughter always looking at the ceilings. She was trying to figure out what it would look like upside down--and where would be the best spot when we flipped over.

Not the Crystal Atrium on the Jewel!

ladysadie, ever notice how movies shown on planes always remove any scene including a plane crash or even sudden landing? Mr. Droopy and I once watched Crash being shown during a flight with the exploding jet scene completely removed. We were recently watching CNN in an airport and when some footage of a plane crash came on, the story abruptly blacked out. Pretty funny.

Archived