comparison of stingray tours

Ready2Cruise2016

My family of 9 went on StingRay Sailings and it was the highlight of our cruise! When we got to Stingray City, there were much larger boats and groups and we were happy to have such a small group (15 I believe). You won't be disappointed if you take Stingray Sailings on their catamaran!

My family of 9 went on StingRay Sailings and it was the highlight of our cruise! When we got to Stingray City, there were much larger boats and groups and we were happy to have such a small group (15 I believe). You won't be disappointed if you take Stingray Sailings on their catamaran!

We also did a Stingray Sailings trip in April and were very happy with the experience. The catamaran was comfortable and the crew was great. They were very respectful of the stingrays and passenger safety and comfort was also a priority.

We visited Grand Cayman on the Carnival Freedom last week; I had made reservations with Moby Dick back in February. The Thursday before our cruise, I get an email from Mark telling me that he only had our group of 7 booked and had taken a wedding party from our ship that booked his whole boat. He said he could set us up with one of his friends, same price, meeting point. We get to Grand Cayman and I met him at his tent and he tells me his buddy filled up his boat early, but he was able to get us on another boat. The people on the boat he put us with were nice and it worked out, but were disorganized. I get that Mark is running a business, but it kind of felt like the Seinfeld episode with the car rental reservation. What was the point in making a reservation three months in advance if you can be booted at any time?

Edited by elvisran

We visited Grand Cayman on the Carnival Freedom last week; I had made reservations with Moby Dick back in February. The Thursday before our cruise, I get an email from Mark telling me that he only had our group of 7 booked and had taken a wedding party from our ship that booked his whole boat. He said he could set us up with one of his friends, same price, meeting point. We get to Grand Cayman and I met him at his tent and he tells me his buddy filled up his boat early, but he was able to get us on another boat. The people on the boat he put us with were nice and it worked out, but were disorganized. I get that Mark is running a business, but it kind of felt like the Seinfeld episode with the car rental reservation. What was the point in making a reservation three months in advance if you can be booted at any time?

Plus, some of us want to know the details in advance. For example, maybe I wouldn't want to go on a certain type of boat or with people I haven't researched.

I pointed this out as one of my red flags above but you did a better job of explaining the pain points.

Plus, some of us want to know the details in advance. For example, maybe I wouldn't want to go on a certain type of boat or with people I haven't researched.

I pointed this out as one of my red flags above but you did a better job of explaining the pain points.

Yeah, very valid concern! In retrospect once he canceled our trip with him, I should have just said thanks we'll figure something else out. Hopefully this was a one off, but it sounds like you've had a similar experience with them or another company.

Typically, it's just a buddy and me on a cruise. I like to plan things out, but don't mind being more flexible if it only affects me. However, for this one my sister's family (with kids 3,9,12) and one of our cousins were also on the cruise. When things kept getting changed, my sister started giving the frantic worried looks. I felt responsible because I set it up.

At that point it was either take our chances with who we placed with, go find something else on the fly, or do some shopping and call it a day.

It turned out fine, but would have preferred to have the reservation honored.

... but it sounds like you've had a similar experience with them or another company.

I didn't personally experience it but it was just something I turned up in my "research" when considering them for a tour. :)

Thanks for the question and resulting info, OP! I too am researching excursions on GC as I will be there with my 13 year old niece next year in March. It will be her first time to the Caribbean and I really want her to experience snorkeling there. I went to GC for the first time back in 1999 with my sis (her mom) and was blown away by the snorkeling. (that my first time snorkeling too). I think it would be so much fun to experience that with my niece. :)

Thanks to all the info here I sent an email to Native Way. Looking forward to hearing back from them.

I highly recommend Stingray Sailing. Chip will make sure you have a fabulous day. His catamaran is very nice - so spacious. He is wonderful with kids. The equipment is high quality - so important if you don't want to spend your day adjusting your mask and snorkel. Such an exciting and relaxing day all in one!

I highly recommend Stingray Sailing. Chip will make sure you have a fabulous day. His catamaran is very nice - so spacious. He is wonderful with kids. The equipment is high quality - so important if you don't want to spend your day adjusting your mask and snorkel. Such an exciting and relaxing day all in one!

Thanks so much for this info - we booked with Stingray Sailing for August. Really wanted a catamaran. Cannot wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I've narrowed it down to ....

Native Way, or Dexter.

Marvin's was high in the ranking, but their maximum amount of people per trip is 40, and I really REALLY prefer a smaller tour. And Moby Dick was high on the list, but I really don't like the idea of being switched to another company last minute - no matter what the reasoning is. That's why I'm researching and making a reservation.

With Native Way, if I can find 1 other person sailing also, we could get the group rate and save $5 off our tour. I'm not sure what their maximum on people is, however.

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto all the positive comments about Stingray Sailing. You will have a superior experience with them. Small group, beautiful boat - and more than one stop, contrary to the chart above. I've sailed with them several times. You'll get to Stingray City before anyone else, and will move on to one or two nearby (depends) snorkel spots by the time the huge groups arrive - and they will... Chip (owner) is native to the island and seems to have a personal relationship with the stingrays. Check them out on TripAdvisor. And, if you book with them (by email to his wife, Michelle), tell them that Peg sent you. Have a wonderful time - this is a great experience! :)

How do you know which tours are on a Catamaran?

Researching their websites, these boards and other travel sites.

We want a catamaran experience with a smallish group. A couple of folks in our group haven't been on a catamaran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I posted this in the other Stingray thread but then saw this one and thought it would be better to ask here since the other one was for a specific operator. Sorry for the repost, not sure how to delete the other one.

How hard are these boats to get in and out off the water? My wife has a bad back and bad knees and can't climb out of the water on a typical ladder (like in a pool or most recreational boats). If she don't have to pull her self out of the water or climb straight up she will probably do OK.

I was thinking about trying to book with MarineLandtours because they advertise their boat has a platform that lowers into the water but I don't know if it will be available by the time I can book (first time DCL cruiser).

Thanks

Most boats have a ladder. Not very accessible at all.

Marineland has at least one boat with really nice easy-to-manage stairs, very accessible-looking when I've seen their boat out at Stingray City. There's pics on their website.

They are who I'd recommend first to anyone with mobility concerns.

We did the Marineland Tours Deluxe String Ray Tour with the boat that has the steps that lowers in the back. We had a great time. The steps were a huge selling point due to similar reasons as you. So accessible. I hope they have availability for your group.

• 2 weeks later...
Looking for a recommendation on not just tour operators but tours also. We do not snorkel (I don't swim) but we would like to see stingrays and other activities.

Any suggestions?

thanks

http://www.fatfishadventures.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147365-d1006098-Reviews-Fat_Fish_Adventures-Grand_Cayman_Cayman_Islands.html

• 2 weeks later...