LIVE FROM THE VEENDAM - RIO and the AMAZON

sansterre

Welcome to our journey to Carnival Festivities in Rio, then Amazon River. I will post from time to time as we visit various ports on are way to, from, and in Brazil. Others are welcome to also post photos, provide information about the cruise, or ask questions, etc.

The Veendam leaves from Ft. Lauderdale February 2 (tomorrow). First stop is Half Moon Cay, then various Eastern Caribbean islands as we head towards South America.

Welcome to our journey to Carnival Festivities in Rio, then Amazon River. I will post from time to time as we visit various ports on are way to, from, and in Brazil. Others are welcome to also post photos, provide information about the cruise, or ask questions, etc.

The Veendam leaves from Ft. Lauderdale February 2 (tomorrow). First stop is Half Moon Cay, then various Eastern Caribbean islands as we head towards South America.

I will be following along your blog!

Rio is wonderful, and the Amazon river cruise was an experience to behold.

Enjoy this fabulous journey!

Denise:)

I will be following your adventure. I am especially interested in the ship as we are booked on Veendam in late April.

My dad and his family first came to the US from Amsterdam on a former Veendam in 1952. Have an incredible trip!

Hi Sansterre,

Will enjoy reading your adventures and will be joining you on board in Rio on 26th February (a contingent of 9 Aussies), to explore Brazil and especially the Amazon. Good wishes for exciting, smooth cruising on Veendam

MateusRose

Have a wonderful time! We did this on the Maasdam in 2013 and took the Veendam on Voyage of the Vikings in 2015. Nice sized ships but tricky getting to the bridge lessons because of no center stairways. Be careful in Rio - we were warned over and over about no jewelry to be worn,etc., but that all changes in the Amazon - another world! Very beautiful and exotic. You won't believe it when you see Mananus arise from the horizon 1,000 miles inland! We didn't see any mosquitos but that sun is really hot. Bon Voyage.:)

Just a quick post to let you know all is well.

Our first stop was Half Moon Cay which we shared with the Eurodam.

The Veendam is cruising comfortably as we near our second port of Curacao.

This morning we held our Meet and Greet which was attended by about 75.

Tonight we enjoyed the singers and dancers presentation of “Classique”.

Sunday will be Superbowl mania throughout the ship.

My next post will include some of the staff on board.

Have a wonderful cruise, Sansterre. We met on the Volendam last October at the Meet & Greet and I think you came to our little craft group.

Daphne

Yes, I remember you in our knitting group! I am having trouble figuring out the new format on this website. It is taking more time than I wanted to spend on HAL WIFI.