Has Disney cancelled due to Irma?

Reenie75

I've sailed with Disney always a very safe cruise line. Irma is coming unknown yet where to hit. I have a sail date out of Miami with MSC Sept 9th

Norwegian and RC have cancelled some of their cruises. Someone posted that Miami port is closing. I have heard nothing from MSC.

Has Disney released anything?!?!

Based on the track, there will be about a day difference between the storm hitting Miami and if it even affects PC. Some of the models have the storm going into the gulf and up the West side of Florida. So PC might not be shut down.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It is quite interesting when one listens to various weather forecasts, etc. They are varying substantially in their predications. One has Irma approaching PC about Sunday while another says the storm will go into the gulf...which makes me think they really don't know.

DCL has a history of not making announcements until essentially the last minute. That may or may not be a wise policy, but it is what they have always done...and even when they know internally what they plan to do, they dono't always make it public!

It is quite interesting when one listens to various weather forecasts' date=' etc. They are varying substantially in their predications. One has Irma approaching PC about Sunday while another says the storm will go into the gulf...which makes me think they really don't know.

DCL has a history of not making announcements until essentially the last minute. That may or may not be a wise policy, but it is what they have always done...and even when they know internally what they plan to do, they dono't always make it public![/quote']

Dream 9/8 & 9/11 and Fantasy 9/9 cruises have been cancelled.

Dream 9/8 & 9/11 and Fantasy 9/9 cruises have been cancelled.

Wonder if they'll dump the current passengers and just head up north out to sea with crew only for a week?? If so it will either be a fun week for cast members or they will be doing a top to bottom scrub of the ships! :eek:

they're bringing the dream and fantasy back to port canaveral early...

it seems they learned their lesson from hurricane sandy!!!

while the crew will have a vacation from passengers, it also means those in tipping positions will be denied part of their salary (tips)....i wonder if disney makes it up to them for the week of tips lost..

Both RC and NCL have already made announcements to its passengers on their FB pages for cruises departing through Sept. 9. Disney - crickets, not a peep
NCL departs from Miami, not Port Canaveral. In a storm like this, that's like comparing apples to oranges. Regardless, Disney has canceled the 9/9 and 9/11 sailings of Disney Dream and the 9/9 sailing of Disney Fantasy.

Carnival and Royal Caribbean have also canceled three-night cruises, two each, just as Disney has now cancelled their three night cruises on 9/8 and 9/11. On short cruises like that there's simply no way to substitute ports. Carnival has left their options open for the longer weekend cruise sailing on 9/9 to watch to see if the track changes today. Even the projected path to the west has the storm slowing so much that the Saturday cruises could embark without a hitch. I suspect they'll make a decision about that either today or tomorrow. Disney might have jumped the gun.

while the crew will have a vacation from passengers, it also means those in tipping positions will be denied part of their salary (tips)....i wonder if disney makes it up to them for the week of tips lost..

While I can't say what will happen this time, when the Magic spent 4 days at sea with no guests, crew were assigned "deep cleaning" duties. For example, our server told us that each of the main serving groups was assigned to one dining room and cleaned everything in the room, the stateroom hosts were assigned to deep clean each of their cabins. So, at least the lower level people worked hard! And I heard a story about a deck party...... I did ask our favorite server if they missed their pay. He said that when things like this happen, "Disney takes care of us."

Full text of DCL Advisory:

Tropical Weather Update

September 6, 2017 – 9 a.m.

Based on the projected path of Hurricane Irma, including its expected impact on the Caribbean and Bahamas, Disney Cruise Line is making the following adjustments to itineraries:

Disney Fantasy

The September 2 cruise of the Disney Fantasy is currently sailing a modified Western Caribbean itinerary and is expected to return to Port Canaveral two days earlier than planned on Thursday, September 7. Guests on this sailing will be refunded two nights of their voyage fare and provided a 25 percent discount on a future cruise, which may be booked by calling 1-855-347-2784 or 407-566-7054 from September 18, 2017, through October 18, 2017.

The September 9 sailing of the Disney Fantasy is cancelled. Refunds will automatically be processed back to the original form of payment used for the cruise booking. Guests are invited to book a future cruise at a 25 percent discount by calling us at 1-855-347-2784 or 407-566-7054 from September 18, 2017, through October 18, 2017.

While we always strive to deliver magical cruise vacations, nothing is more important to us than providing a safe experience for our guests and crew. We will continue to closely monitor Hurricane Irma and provide updates as necessary.

Disney Dream

The September 4 cruise of the Disney Dream is sailing a modified Bahamian cruise itinerary and will return to Port Canaveral one day earlier than planned on Thursday, September 7. Guests on this sailing will be refunded one night of their voyage fare and provided a 25 percent discount on a future cruise, which may be booked by calling 1-855-347-2784 or 407-566-7054 from September 18, 2017, through October 18, 2017.

The September 8 and September 11 sailings of the Disney Dream are cancelled. Refunds will automatically be processed back to the original form of payment used for the cruise booking. Guests are invited to book a future cruise at a 25 percent discount by calling us at 1-855-347-2784 or 407-566-7054 from September 18, 2017, through October 18, 2017.

While we always strive to deliver magical cruise vacations, nothing is more important to us than providing a safe experience for our guests and crew. We will continue to closely monitor Hurricane Irma and provide updates as necessary.

While I can't say what will happen this time' date=' when the Magic spent 4 days at sea with no guests, crew were assigned "deep cleaning" duties. For example, our server told us that each of the main serving groups was assigned to one dining room and cleaned everything in the room, the stateroom hosts were assigned to deep clean each of their cabins. So, at least the lower level people worked hard! And I heard a story about a deck party...... I did ask our favorite server if they missed their pay. He said that when things like this happen, "Disney takes care of us."[/quote']

i would assume they'd have lots of work to do....i said a vacation from passengers, not a vacation from work...

i'm glad to hear that disney compensates them for the work, when they're not getting their tips (which is their only payment in normal times)..

i would assume they'd have lots of work to do....i said a vacation from passengers, not a vacation from work...

i'm glad to hear that disney compensates them for the work, when they're not getting their tips (which is their only payment in normal times)..

It's not their only payment. Every crew/cast member has a base salary plus tips. They do not work for tips only, but it is the majority of their paychecks.

It's not their only payment. Every crew/cast member has a base salary plus tips. They do not work for tips only, but it is the majority of their paychecks.

every cruise line has a different set up for their tipping positions...

on disney cruise line, the official tipping positions receive most (if not all) of their pay from tips (moreso than on some other cruise lines)..

so if they miss two cruises, that's a lot of money they're not receiving......a major hit to their pockets if disney doesn't make up for the loss.. (while they're still being worked like crazy)...

Correct--DCL CMs in tipped positions get a minimal salary from DCL, but the vast majority of their income is from tips. They also receive all their "costumes," (work clothes), care and laundry for those clothes, and transportation back to their home at the end of their contract and back to the ship if they are renewing. CMs in non-tipped positions receive a regular salary from DCL. While these salaries may be a lot of money in their home countries, they are at the low end of what we might expect in the US. Of course they are receiving room and board as well.

To put things in perspective, we had an assistant server who had been an "engineer" on the ship. He told us that he has worked very hard on his English so he could take an assistant server position because the tips were better than his paycheck as an engineer.

Correct--DCL CMs in tipped positions get a minimal salary from DCL' date=' but the vast majority of their income is from tips. They also receive all their "costumes," (work clothes), care and laundry for those clothes, and transportation back to their home at the end of their contract and back to the ship if they are renewing. CMs in non-tipped positions receive a regular salary from DCL. While these salaries may be a lot of money in their home countries, they are at the low end of what we might expect in the US. Of course they are receiving room and board as well.

To put things in perspective, we had an assistant server who had been an "engineer" on the ship. He told us that he has worked very hard on his English so he could take an assistant server position because the tips were better than his paycheck as an engineer.[/quote']

Very true! And as a FORMER CM on Disney myself, I can tell you some of those that make tips are actually quite RICH back in their own countries and have bought houses, cars, put kids through school and live lives equal if not better than many of the guests when they are home as the money goes much farther than it does in the States, Canada etc....It's why they are willing to leave their homes and families for 9 months at a time and work 7 days a week more hours than most would be willing to.

Also, Disney does compensate tipped employees a little when there are emergencies like this, and I can tell you from working on other lines that DCL pays better than the others in most areas.

And they make no secret of it--we've had servers tell us of having bought 4 houses "back home" for their various extended family members...or were able to have a better lifestyle and permit a spouse to stay home with young kids. But they also work their tails off! I wouldn't want to be the mother who is working on the ship while grandma raises her child(ren). Even the normal 6 month contract on DCL is a long time to be away.

If they were good workers, we've seen lots of advancement for some--people who started as assistant servers who now have a couple of stripes on their uniforms. Yes, they studied hard, passes tests, and moved up the ladder to get those management or shoreside positions, but for them, it was a good company to be with.

As can be seen with the different lines canceling cruises, They are taking Irma very seriously, and right fully so. The photos starting to come in of Tortuga and St. Thomas show hill side wided clean of trees and vegitation , strong built homes and buildings destroyed. One photo I saw yesterday show a bay fulled with what must have been a 100 pleasure boats and commercial small craft.in the pile and sunk on the beach. The lines concern was not only at sea but hitting Florida. They knew it would do passengers no good to be dumped in port at the last minute and then not be able to leave Florida. The last I heard the Dream and her sister the Fantasy are hiding out south of Cuba, off Mexico. Most likely starting to ease back toward PC.

AKK

One of the big questions now is where will they go? St. Maarten had 70+% of houses on the island destroyed. The Dutch army is there to control looting and US State Department is evacuating all Americans who didn't follow the suggestion to leave before the storm hit. Maho beach and the airport are wiped out. The Bahamas was largely spared. NCL has already announced that Eastern Caribbean cruises will be canceled or re-routed thru at least November. It looks like some serious re-routing is in order.

DCL states on their website that any changes will be announced beginning 9/12.

The Dream is doing her usual Bahamas route, the Wonder is about to head to San Diego to do some West Coast cruises before her EBPC crossing, the Magic is still in Europe and will begin her WBTA on the 16th, so they only have one ship to deal with at the moment that's been doing the Eastern and Western routes - the Fantasy. And her first scheduled Eastern isn't until 9/23. So they can take a little more time to work out what they're doing (as opposed to lines that have multiple ships that do an Eastern route every week).

DCL states on their website that any changes will be announced beginning 9/12.

The Dream is doing her usual Bahamas route, the Wonder is about to head to San Diego to do some West Coast cruises before her EBPC crossing, the Magic is still in Europe and will begin her WBTA on the 16th, so they only have one ship to deal with at the moment that's been doing the Eastern and Western routes - the Fantasy. And her first scheduled Eastern isn't until 9/23. So they can take a little more time to work out what they're doing (as opposed to lines that have multiple ships that do an Eastern route every week).

This assumes that Castaway can be "guest ready" almost immediately. Yes, I know that the news reports state that the Bahamas was basically spared, but no one has been to the island yet to do an inspection (at least as far as we know).