Crystal, Silversea or Oceania?

UmaS

Looking at Crystal's Cote d' azur Collection(Monte Carlo to Barcelona) Sept. 28 - Oct. 5 vs. Silversea Civitavecchia(Rome) to Barcelona Sept. 3 -10 vs. Oceania Riviera Rendezvous Monte Carlo to Rome Oct. 11 - Oct. 18, and hoping for some feedback. Haven't sailed on any of these lines previously. Ports of call(we're fine with all three itineraries), food, cabins, service, excursions are important to us. Cost will be a big factor(waiting to hear back from travel agent). Aside from that, appreciate any input.

I can tell you that the feedback will be all over the place because we all have different preferences. It is analogous to which do you recommend Lexus, BMW or Mercedes or which is better four seasons or the Ritz Carlton.

A few suggestions. Take a look at the ocean cruising book updated annually by Douglas Ward and published by Berlitz and read about each ship. He gives a nice writeups on each ship. Study the ships using the cruise line web sites because even within two of the lines the ships in use vary considerably form one another. Know what is included in the cruise fare. On Silversea and Crystal drinks, and tips are included and even other items such as laundry is included so just be aware you know about any differences.

Read the cruise reviews on cruise critic and go with what I call the 80/20 rule. That is if 80 percent of the people say something is goo or bad take that. As fact until you experience it yourself.

If you were not already working with a TA I would have recommended finding a TA who has sailed all three lines and is familiar with the products.

Again I would not rely on so,done on this tread saying on is better then the other because what is important to the might not be important to you and often people have not sailed all three or even had an experience god or bad from just one cruise which is not indicative of the cruise line.

Keith

My first suggestion is to follow the suggestions of Keith1010--he always provides excellent information and advice. The Berlitz guide is also available as a iPhone/iPad app from iTunes--I strongly recommend using it as a reference source in any format.

I have sailed on both Crystal and Silversea and chose the former for my Mediterranean cruise, mainly because the larger size ship provides for more activities (or variety of activities) and better entertainment, but with the post-intensive Western Mediterranean itineraries I am not sure that matters much. Both cruise lines provide incredible service and great dining choices. I do not think you can go wrong with either one. I can't provide any input on Oceania but people who sail on that line give it consistently good reviews. (However, it is not considered a luxury line (by Berlitz), like Crystal and Silversea).

Two things I would mention. First, I would let itinerary guide me since any of the ships you mention are lovely with excellent service. And secondly, if you do choose Oceania I suggest you book at least a penthouse category or the accommodations will be rather tight.

Two things I would mention. First, I would let itinerary guide me since any of the ships you mention are lovely with excellent service. And secondly, if you do choose Oceania I suggest you book at least a penthouse category or the accommodations will be rather tight.

for upcoming Oceania cruise. Agree NOT considered luxury,but premium it seems.But itinerary and dates were better for me.Sort of "forgot" how much was inc.on past "luxury" cruises.Now having to actually PAY FOR tips,drinks,shore excursions,etc......starting to be same price as the Regent,Seaborne,etc.

Also, agree with first post.Lots of research to find out whats BEST FOR YOU,everyone s different.

Also, can t find a luxury ship doing S.Caribbean over xmas,not sure WHAT line NOW? Celebrity,Royal Caribean,Princess..no ideas??.Any hints.?:confused:

Found another sailing that I think will actually work

well for us. Regent's Barcelona to Civitavecchia(Rome) on the Mariner. We've sailed with them twice before when they were Radisson (to Alaska on the Navigator and on the Paul Gauguin). We liked the all inclusive(comes in very handy now with ability to more reasonably upgrade to business class for two people with bad backs), the cabins, food, service, country club casual dress code. T.A. is getting us a hefty onboard credit. Would still consider Crystal, Silversea and Oceania in the future. Thanks for your input.

Archived