Live from Viking Star!

editor@cruisecritic

Nine months after the all-new Viking Oceans' launched its first ship, Viking Star, Cruise Critic's editorial team is heading onboard to experience a cruise. For most of our team this will be their first exposure to Viking's Ocean Cruises (it'll be my third visit to Viking Star).

What's changed from the original plan both onboard and in port? What tweaks has Viking's team made to the experience? What would you like to know about what life is like onboard Viking Ocean Cruises and Viking Star?

Our "Romantic Mediterranean" cruise begins on Tuesday, December 8 and we're happy to check in daily, share our experiences and answer your questions. Our four country, one week cruise starts out with an overnight in Barcelona before moving on to France's Toulon (gateway to Provence), Monte Carlo, Corsica, Livorno (for Florence and Lucca), and finishing up with an overnight in Rome's Civitavecchia.

Beyond updating everyone on the experience on Viking Star, we're also quite intrigued to be cruising in the Mediterranean in the heart-of-almost-winter, when one oddity is that daylight is relatively short. However, there's the plus of sampling Christmas markets in nearly every port (something I grew to love on river cruises).

Have you cruised the Mediterranean in winter on any line (or having any great port-related tips to share)? Recently returned from a Viking Star trip? Please feel to join in and share your tips and impressions along with us -- we love to get your advice as much as we like to give it.

Best,

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I'm interested in whether you can easily get unsweet iced tea - like at the coffee/juice station, or whether they're still making it one glass at a time? Or only have the sweet peach iced tea in cans? This was my pet peeve on the 50-day maiden voyage - that I couldn't regularly get unsweet tea. Not too bad really if that's all that stands out for me on the negative side!

I'm part of a group of eight people also on this cruise, with the added bonus of a second week that returns us to Barcelona. We're also arriving two days early to get more time in the city. This will be the the first time in Europe for three of us and the first time on a Med cruise for all of us. I've been following the forum for the Star since the first cruise. I'm still chuckling over the tea controversy, which has been a pet peeve for many. I recall one story that they made hot tea and then put ice in it! Innovative.

We are looking forward to sharing the cruise with a band of experts. I have no concerns at all with the ship and its crew, but the quality of the excursions has been continuously questioned. As I am handy with a map and tour book, if they don't work out I'm prepared to strike out on my own. We're all doing several Viator tours also. But I have to say that the excursion prices seem very reasonable, assuming they do what the writeup describes. The one excursion I wish they offered was a "being the scenes" look at the ship. They've made a big deal about the technological wonders of her; the chance to look at her innards seems called for. As a young Ensign I once had to trace the steam lines on a Navy frigate, so I have some curiosity.

I've created a blog for a future North America motorcycle trip and plan on using this cruise as my beta tester. Test No. 1 is whether I'll have the energy/desire to post to it, so I'm not giving out the address yet. We'll see.

Doug Austin

San Diego, CA

Austinetc - they do offer a "wheelhouse" tour, but for some reason they don't advertise it - never saw it in the Viking Daily. My DH went on one and said it was fascinating. We had asked at the Explorer's Desk about it and the first person we asked had not heard about the tour and had to go ask someone else. The tour took about an hour and as I recall it was held around 5:00 pm. He said there were only 10 people allowed on it. So, if you're interested I would ask as soon as you board, as there's only one tour scheduled per cruise.

I would have loved a tour of the laundry facilities - with all that washing everyday, I'm sure it's quite a production. And the galley would be interesting too.

We'll be on the Star December 22, and stopping at many of the same ports. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the free and paid excursions.

Us, too! Very excited when I read that the ports are the same as ours! Happy to be getting some "insider tips" before we leave.

Hi, id4elizabeth, nice to be chatting all-things-Viking-Star with you again! Loved your reports from your cruise.

Carolyn

Austinetc - they do offer a "wheelhouse" tour, but for some reason they don't advertise it - never saw it in the Viking Daily. My DH went on one and said it was fascinating. We had asked at the Explorer's Desk about it and the first person we asked had not heard about the tour and had to go ask someone else. The tour took about an hour and as I recall it was held around 5:00 pm. He said there were only 10 people allowed on it. So, if you're interested I would ask as soon as you board, as there's only one tour scheduled per cruise.

I would have loved a tour of the laundry facilities - with all that washing everyday, I'm sure it's quite a production. And the galley would be interesting too.

Hi, Carolyn!

I am also a maiden voyage veteran, and have booked a second segment, Barcelona to Venice, on the Star, for Oct, '16. So, I will be reading with interest your impressions of the Star at this point and the ports, as we will be visiting many of those as well.

Becki

Viking's given Cruise Critic's editorial team -- 10 members strong, including the U.S., Australia/NZ, and the U.K. -- an unbelievable opportunity to make sure we all get to sample its Oceans' product. After next week, our coverage will reflect all our different voices -- not just mine but of course including mine. In the spirit of sharing my enthusiasm for Viking Star with not only my own team but also with our community, I drafted a very quick "My Favorite Things" about Viking Star piece.

ID4Elizabeth and Rjscott -- please weigh in with your own additions, thoughts and insights as I know you've spent a lot of time on the ship (more than me, actually) as well!

Here's the email missive I sent to our internal crew:

Having spent over a week on Viking Oceans' new Viking Star when it debuted in spring 2015, even with the usual new-cruise-line teething pains it was easy to see that the ship was something special. Fortunate to be heading back for a return visit on a winter-like cruise around the Mediterranean on Viking Star, here's a list of seven of "My Favorite Things".

1. The spa, which by the way is free to all passengers, has a fireplace (faux, very contemporary), and it sets a cozy tone for the facility, which also has relaxation rooms for men and women with outward facing chaises, a dump-a-bucket-of-water-on-your-head Nordic style shower, and a nicely warmish thallasotherapy pool and heated tile chaises. The Snow Room, which was such a curiosity on our warmer weather cruises, will likely get a miss on this winter sailing! Don't miss the spa's small gift shop -- lots of handmade Nordic crafts, from hand-printed notebooks to felt wooly mittens and of course more spa-centric potions and lotions. The spa is the first at-sea operation by Norway-based Liv Nordic.

2. What's nickel and diming? Doesn't exist onboard Viking Star. The free, unlimited WiFi, beer and wine with lunch and dinner, and a complimentary shore excursion in every port are just a few of the reasons you might find it hard to rack up a big bill. Those who enjoy alcoholic beverages can buy a package, but we noticed that even bar prices were more reasonable than we've seen on other lines.

3. Cabins are spacious, whatever the category, and all have private balconies. If December isn't great verandah-sitting weather, definitely take time to appreciate the pretty bathrooms with roomy showers and heated tile floors. As well, the décor is soothing and harmonious in subtle earth tones and with feels-like-home artwork (in some cabins drawings from kids showcasing their European home cities are beautifully framed), Norwegian wooly blankets, and deep armchairs.

4. Every restaurant we tried we liked. A particular stand-out and the toughest ticket on board, is Manfredi's, an Italian place whose menu and décor was guided by an Italian cruise line honcho who is great pals with Viking's CEO (can you guess who?). That means the food is terrific and authentically Italian -- the charcuterie is prepared in an open kitchen, the osso bucco is just the thing after a December day spent outdoors, and the primo dessert in all of cruising is the nutella panna cotta.

5. You've got to love a cruise ship that offers complimentary, unlimited WiFi to all passengers that actually works well -- at least better than other onboard services. You get the best service when most passengers are off Viking Star in port, but it generally worked decently almost all the time.

6. Viking Star has an atrium and it's a lofty, three deck space, but what surprises is how cozy the first deck Living Room is. It reminds me of an upmarket Ikea (in a good way) with lots of cozy nooks and crannies where you can hunker down for a good chat, a game of Scrabble, or a visit to the ship's corner museum, which celebrates Viking's Nordic heritage.

7. And finally…well, there's more than seven. There's a terrific pool grill for burgers (and the pool area itself is on a par with luxury cruise ships). The top floor of the two-deck Explorers' Lounge is a veritable maritime museum (and is a quiet hideaway with expansive floor-to-ceiling views). You've got to try the green pea soup at Mamsen's, the Norwegian-inspired café serving Viking CEO Torstein Hagen's mother receipes (and if you can get past Mamsen's without succumbing to the nutty sweet scent of its waffles you've a stronger will than mine). The best place for alfresco cocktails in good weather is is the indoor/outdoor Aquavit Terrace, on the ship's aft; the best place for late night drinks inside is Torshavn, a cozy boite. The World Café, by the way, is the only buffet at sea we have ever seen with an open kitchen. There's a free, self-service laundry on each residential deck.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I have to disagree with you about the Snow Grotto in your #1 favorite thing. I thought it was fabulous even when we were in the chilly Baltics. I loved going from the steam room to the snow grotto until I got icles on my bathing suit skirt and then went back to the steam room or jumped in the hot tub. Then when I got too hot, back into the snow grotto for a few minutes to cool off. So I would say it's pretty "cool" any time of year! Didn't much care for the cold dump--a-bucket-on-your-head though! :D

One of my favorite things related to the Spa was the fabulous massages and facials. Devine! And they didn't try to sell you "products" afterwards like they do on other cruise lines.

As far as WiFi, I was very frustrated by that and got very bad reception from about Barcelona to Stockholm. Was particularly bad from Gibraltar onward. I think though that that might have been due to all the Press that came on board and them uploading pictures and travel stories about the inaugural cruise - think they could have been sucking up the bandwidth, which didn't leave too much for us paying passengers. The Press were the only ones given passwords - regular passengers were not. Istanbul to Barcelona was pretty good though and it was great that it was free to all.

Agree with you that the cruise is pretty all inclusive, but not that it's hard to rack up a big bill. At the end of 50 days, what with optional excursions, massages, facials, hair cut, manicure and pedicures, I can testify that it's not impossible! ;)

One thing you didn't mention was the attitude of the day-to-day staff which I found to be remarkable. I know there were some exceptions, but our cabin steward, waiters, etc were first rate. "Management" at the time left a bit to be desired, but we were on the maiden cruise and they were juggling a lot of balls in the air, so hopefully management has improved by now.

One of my other favorite things was the free laundry. We were in one of the Junior Suites and could get free laundry service. It was fabulous! They did an outstanding job. If you're in a cabin that doesn't provide this service for free, the prices on the laundry slip seemed quite reasonable. Well worth it for items like jeans that take a long time to dry.

My most very favorite thing was the PORTS!

Carolyn - can I tag along?

Viking's given Cruise Critic's editorial team -- 10 members strong, including the U.S., Australia/NZ, and the U.K. -- an unbelievable opportunity to make sure we all get to sample its Oceans' product. After next week, our coverage will reflect all our different voices -- not just mine but of course including mine. In the spirit of sharing my enthusiasm for Viking Star with not only my own team but also with our community, I drafted a very quick "My Favorite Things" about Viking Star ....

On the 2/14 Med Getaway (Rome to Barcelona). A different port every day (wish there was one sea day!)...but hoping to still have time to enjoy the ship and it's amenities. Will likely eat lunch ashore...how can I not in Italy and Spain?!? A little bummed I will be sailing on Celebrity Eclipse when my reservation opens for me to book specialty dining. Have to do it when i get back home...hopefully some good slots at Manfredi's will still be available.

Anyway...the self-service laundry is a bit of a relief! Spending time in Barcelona after the cruise, and will be great to was/dry personal items so I don't have to over-pack. I am thinking the washers will be hard to come by except early morn/late night, unless there are a few on each floor. Also wondering - does Viking provide detergent, too?:confused:

Thanks all.

There are self-service laundries on every stateroom floor except the 8th. But the 8th floor is almost all Junior Suites with free laundry service, so this makes sense. Yes, Viking provides detergent and softener - they are plumbed right into the machines so no mess. Pretty cool actually.

Anyway...the self-service laundry is a bit of a relief! Spending time in Barcelona after the cruise, and will be great to was/dry personal items so I don't have to over-pack. I am thinking the washers will be hard to come by except early morn/late night, unless there are a few on each floor. Also wondering - does Viking provide detergent, too?:confused:

Thanks all.

I used the self- service laundry twice and found that just before dinner time seemed to be a good time to snag an open washer. The run time for the washers & dryers is about 35 min. There are also irons and ironing boards in there if you need one.

Becki

Glad to see you're back on board, Carolyn. Cliff and I are anxiously awaiting more ships and different itineraries before we rebook, possibly a transatlantic? Have they tried something different yet with that other specialty restaurant? That menu, along with the limited buffet hours, were (to me) the only drawbacks on what was easily the most beautiful and comfortable ship I've ever been on.

Enjoy, and we'll look forward to your musings.

Hi, guys -- will follow up on individual posts in a few minutes. But have to say: It's like October here in Barcelona (with the added bonus that the weather's gorgeous but the Christmas market at Sagrada Familia is in full swing). Just beautiful. I think I packed too many warm weather sweaters and socks and such. For some reason, in my imagination, a December cruise in the Mediterranean was about darkness and cold. Nothing could be farther from the truth! At least...for now.

We board tomorrow. This is a ship that many of you know I love -- and am so looking forward to getting back onboard. Bad weather? Bah humbug. Just means a spa day :)

Have you boarded cruises (or departed cruises) from Barcelona? Any hotel suggestions for pre- or post-cruise stays? Our Cruise Critic team (those who aren't flying in the day-of, I mean) is staying in a variety of places. I'm in an outside-the-town-center hotel, another editor is in a B&B, another is in a cool Las Ramblas-area boutique hotel that I've admired from afar (price per night is under $200, another great reason to come here now!) and a few are sharing an Airbnb place just across from the Sagrada Familia. I'm looking forward to hearing about their stays and will share -- and let us know if you have a favorite place here.

Carolyn

Laughing, id4elizabeth, so glad you're chiming in here.

I really didn't like the Snow Grotto, and it's probably because it was quite slick and I was afraid of slipping and falling, hard, on the ice (how old am I now that I worry about that?) -- but do agree it's a good idea. I'll check it out and see if it's as much of a safety hazard at this point :)

I'm married to a Finn and the bucket shower is part of what comes with being married-to-a-Finn. When we go to Teijo's family's summer cabin in central Finland, there's no actual shower or tub. You have two choices: Swim in a lake that's absolutely still freezing in August or ... heat up the sauna, and some water, and take turns dousing each other with big ladles of warm water. Interesting :)

The spa on Viking Star was terrific, and did a few massages. Loved the lack of sales pitches.

Agree with you as well on the press sucking up the bandwidth. Think they were frustrated too, as were expected to report on things, but am hoping that more "normal" cruises the WiFi will be okay. Still beats ships from other lines that offer impossibly expensive WiFi that doesn't work. That drives me crazy.

Excellent point about the crew -- they were terrific.

Am sure if you were tagging along we'd have a great voice joining us!

Carolyn

I have to disagree with you about the Snow Grotto in your #1 favorite thing. I thought it was fabulous even when we were in the chilly Baltics. I loved going from the steam room to the snow grotto until I got icles on my bathing suit skirt and then went back to the steam room or jumped in the hot tub. Then when I got too hot, back into the snow grotto for a few minutes to cool off. So I would say it's pretty "cool" any time of year! Didn't much care for the cold dump--a-bucket-on-your-head though! :D

One of my favorite things related to the Spa was the fabulous massages and facials. Devine! And they didn't try to sell you "products" afterwards like they do on other cruise lines.

As far as WiFi, I was very frustrated by that and got very bad reception from about Barcelona to Stockholm. Was particularly bad from Gibraltar onward. I think though that that might have been due to all the Press that came on board and them uploading pictures and travel stories about the inaugural cruise - think they could have been sucking up the bandwidth, which didn't leave too much for us paying passengers. The Press were the only ones given passwords - regular passengers were not. Istanbul to Barcelona was pretty good though and it was great that it was free to all.

Agree with you that the cruise is pretty all inclusive, but not that it's hard to rack up a big bill. At the end of 50 days, what with optional excursions, massages, facials, hair cut, manicure and pedicures, I can testify that it's not impossible! ;)

One thing you didn't mention was the attitude of the day-to-day staff which I found to be remarkable. I know there were some exceptions, but our cabin steward, waiters, etc were first rate. "Management" at the time left a bit to be desired, but we were on the maiden cruise and they were juggling a lot of balls in the air, so hopefully management has improved by now.

One of my other favorite things was the free laundry. We were in one of the Junior Suites and could get free laundry service. It was fabulous! They did an outstanding job. If you're in a cabin that doesn't provide this service for free, the prices on the laundry slip seemed quite reasonable. Well worth it for items like jeans that take a long time to dry.

My most very favorite thing was the PORTS!

Carolyn - can I tag along?

Carolyn - we stayed at the Hotel Montecarlo before a transatlantic and loved it. It was 10 years ago, though, so no idea if it's still as good. Right on Las Ramblas, fantastic location and double glazed windows to keep out the noise. I liked it because the bed was really comfortable. Mattresses in Spain tend to be really, really hard, and this one wasn't.

My "group" arrived in Barcelona yesterday (Sunday) and we are all having a remarkable time! My SO and I did a Viator Cooking Class only four hours after arrival. We made Paella, a vegetable appetizer and custard desert. So very educational! I never knew that Spanish food is not normally spicy. Big learning curve. Today we visited the Monastery Montserrat and then a cava winery (Codorniu). Both were terrific. I now have a goodly supply of sparkling wine for the cruise.

The rest of the group did other things, such as Famalia Sagrada and the hop-on, hop-off bus. Everyone had a terrific time. We are very excited to board the Star tomorrow, but Barcelona isn't done with us yet. We're all planning for Wednesday, as well as meeting our cruise mates. This has been a promising start to our cruise!

CSB

Would you please post about the pizza. When we were on the maiden there was none, apparently the pizza stones didn't get on board until after we debarked.

We joined the Maiden voyage in Bergen and there was pizza the entire cruise.

We are boarding the Star

again late this month in Rome and will let you know about the pizza;)

Sounds like a fantastic few days so far, austinetc. Didn't realize that Spanish food is not normally spicy either -- and I had a chicken curry last night that was pretty mild, which makes sense.

Look forward to meeting you onboard on Wednesday! We should all have invitations delivered to cabins....

Carolyn

My "group" arrived in Barcelona yesterday (Sunday) and we are all having a remarkable time! My SO and I did a Viator Cooking Class only four hours after arrival. We made Paella, a vegetable appetizer and custard desert. So very educational! I never knew that Spanish food is not normally spicy. Big learning curve. Today we visited the Monastery Montserrat and then a cava winery (Codorniu). Both were terrific. I now have a goodly supply of sparkling wine for the cruise.

The rest of the group did other things, such as Famalia Sagrada and the hop-on, hop-off bus. Everyone had a terrific time. We are very excited to board the Star tomorrow, but Barcelona isn't done with us yet. We're all planning for Wednesday, as well as meeting our cruise mates. This has been a promising start to our cruise!