Tired ship? Silver Shadow

texasskier

We just spent 2 months on the Shadow and will do so again in January. Yes, she needs some attention...but so do I! Still the best thing afloat if you value attention and a content crew. So be it.

Love the great wisdom and wit of duck tape. Wonderfully cute, creative and funny!!! And, probably very true!! Will know more on the varied questions about the Silver Cloud after our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day , Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 86,930 views for this posting.

• 3 weeks later...

On the surface the state of the ship looks good, however peer a little more closely and things look slightly worn.

Its obvious to me that maintenance on the ship is stuggling to keep up with general wear and tear.

Examples:

Emergency pool maintenance mid morning.

IMG_9810.jpg.7c758ed14cef9f3b62483507d71b7470.jpg

IMG_9811.jpg.8978df17a6367a0999d2a0780c743588.jpg

IMG_9812.jpg.e126e5208b9fbfd775c0eb357dbfae12.jpg

Recent reviews report a worn , tired ship in need of serious refurbishment. Does anyone know when/if this will occur?

I think 'worn and tired' is in the eye of the beholder. If I choose not to behold, I probably won't notice. Whatever, it's bound to be be better than sitting at home, not cruising. Even if I behold, I'm sure a glass or three of champagne will dull the pain.

We came off the shadow on the 5th Dec. after 15 days on board and I can confirm the above statements of duct tape post 5 and Silver Spectre post 7.

Happy crew, contented guests.

I watched a few time as a general maintenance person did some odd jobs around the ship, so they are keeping on top of what they can.

I understand that they will be renovating the boutiques -- while passengers are on the ship -- sometime early next year. This work on the sister ship Whisper was apparently very disruptive to anyone who had a suite in the vicinity of the boutiques (including upper decks). The fact that this work must be undertaken while the ship is cruising with paying guests (and not as one would expect in dry dock) suggests how rarely the Shadow gets a rest and a cosmetic (and mechanical) refreshing in dry dock.

Silver Spectre: Why must you post these images regarding the state of Shadow? Photos don't lie. But can't you concentrate on the positive? The boutiques will be remodeled next year while the ship is sailing with passengers. The pounding and disruption (for a couple of weeks as I recall when it was done on Whisper) will mean that Silversea can make more money from the boutique concessionaire. Can't you focus on this important good news? :)

For details on Shadow boutique renovation from someone who apparently knows the schedule, see page two of thread on "Silversea Offer Not Honored." Posters there suggest (as I had understood from others) that the disruption caused by the renovations -- in this case apparently on a Grand Cruise, no less! -- yields only a boutique with overpriced jewelry and perfumes, etc. I still wear some shorts that I purchased at a very reasonable price (~$15?) on a Silversea cruise not so long ago. Apparently, those days are past.