Question about Dolphin Deck Pacific Dawn

We are booked on Pacific Dawn in April next year. We have a 4 berth cabin and have a few questions:

1. Which 4 berth cabins are the original 4 berth ones (the beds come down from the celiing not out from the wall)?

2. Is the deck type area at the back of the ship accessible (on the deck plan it has stairs and doors)?

3. Are we able to put the 2 lower beds together (we did this Dec 07 when we sailed on the Pacific Sun with the kids)?

4. how many laundries are there on the Pacific Dawn (I can only find 1 on the plan)?

Thanks

Rach

We are booked on Pacific Dawn in April next year. We have a 4 berth cabin and have a few questions:

1. Which 4 berth cabins are the original 4 berth ones (the beds come down from the celiing not out from the wall)?

2. Is the deck type area at the back of the ship accessible (on the deck plan it has stairs and doors)?

3. Are we able to put the 2 lower beds together (we did this Dec 07 when we sailed on the Pacific Sun with the kids)?

4. how many laundries are there on the Pacific Dawn (I can only find 1 on the plan)?

Thanks

Rach

1. Not sure

2. Yes, you can access the back deck areas. The stairs are external ones if you want to access the deck above.

3. If your intention is to use the 2 top bunks and then have the two lower bunks together, that would not work as that would leave no floor space around the bottom beds whatsoever, as the top bunks would intrude into the standing height. You would have to move around the bottom beds crouching.

When it's a 4 berth cabin, the room steward raises the top bunks in the day time which then makes the room seem a bit less closed in.

4. Two laundries on the Dawn. One on Baha deck midship. The other on Plaza Deck 5 midship Aft, just down from the pursers desk.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Rach

Rach, some time ago someone posted a Regal Princess deck plan showing which were original 4 berth cabins, if you seach on 'deck plans' you might find it.

It's possible to go from Dolphin Deck (8) to Sun Deck (14) on the outside at the rear of the ship.

Thanks

Rach

In answer to question 1, there are no beds that come out of the ceiling.

If you have a look at the deck plan on the P&O website for Dolphin Deck on Pacific Dawn, you will notice two black dots in some of the rooms. This represents a 4 berth cabin. These rooms are also used in a twin configuration however you can not be placed in a 4 berth cabin if the cabin in the diagram does not have the two black dots. Hope this helps.

Hi Rach

If it's any help my wife & I have travelled on 'Dolphin' deck in Cabins D140, D142 and on our next cruise it will be D141. We find the location so convenient - close to lifts, stairs, dining room, promenade bar etc. It is also very quiet.

Cheers, Roy

Hi All,

Here is a link to Regal Princess deck plans, before she became Pacific Dawn

http://www.tq-international.com/SkyTelSymposium/STSRegalPrincessDeckPlans.htm

Hope this helps....

In the original 4 berths, the bed do come down from the ceiling

Like they did on Pacific Sky - yet another similarity betwen Pacific Dawn/Regal Princess and Pacific Sky - showing their heritage as Sitmar ships.

The upper bunks in the "new" 4 berth cabins are stowed against the wall and fold down when in use, if they're the same as the ones on Pacific Sun & Pacific Star. This can be a bit dangerous when they're folded up against the wall as the edge is at head height and easy to bump into particularly if other two beds are configured as a double across the cabin, with the head end underneath the upper bunk. That's what we found in the 4 berth cabin we had as a 2 berth on Pacific Star in 2007.

Hi!

We had a 4 berth cabin on Caribe deck last year - one of the 'new' 4 berth cabins with bunks coming down from the wall - yes a bit of a pain if you bumped your head!

Having said that you will notice that on the Regal Princess deckplans all of the original 4 berth cabins are at the rear or very far forward - the 'refurb' ones tend to be midship.

Whilst we would have liked to have a cabin with the bunks coming from the ceiling (as they do seem to be roomier and it removes the head bumping/knocking issue!!), we have again chosen a 'refurb' 4 berth with bunks on the wall as we prefer to be closer to midship (a bit of a contingency against seasickness.... well that's what I like to think anyway!!:o).

I also recall (and I may be wrong - someone else may remember....) that the newer 4 berth cabins had a bit more storage/cupboard/drawer space??? Handy when we were travelling with all the associated paraphenalia of a 1 and 3 year old!!!

We are booked in a 4 berth on Emerald deck in August.

Just another thought on the location of the 4 berth cabins and why you may choose one over another...:rolleyes:

Happy planning.....

Dea

Thanks everyone for your help. I have emailed our TA and asked to swap to an original 4 berth on Dolphin deck (eg the ones that go into the ceiling). I am only short - 5 foot and when we sailed on the Pacific Sun and Pacific Star we were in 4 beths and I kept hitting my head - i don't want that to happen this time. Also think if we get one where the beds go into the ceiling we might be able to put the 2 lower berths together as DH and I have never slept apart when on holiday.

Rach

Hi Rach,

These are all the original 4 berths (copied from an earlier thread), so you can check that you've got one of them.

Insides:

CAT I – Baja deck B107, 108, 111, 112, 116, 117, 120, 121, 124, 125, 128, 129, 132, 133, 136, 137, 290, 294, 295, 299

Outsides:

CAT DD – Caribe deck C226, 229, 230, 233, 234, 237, 238, 241, 242, 245, 246, 249, 250, 253, 254, 257

CAT D – Dolphin deck D166 to D179 inclusive

CAT E – Emerald deck E109, 110, 114, 115, 134, 135, 138, 139, 142, 143, 144, 146 to 153, 155

CAT E – Plaza deck P188 to P195 inclusive

As you can see, there are not many of them. We were in D151 last August, which is one of the re-furbished ones. It was fine, but at times the cabinets were a bit intrusive. This year I've requested one of the original 4 berths, which hopefully will work a bit better. I saw one of them last year, but it was made up as a twin. It did seem a bit roomier than ours, but didn't have as much storage. Hopefully that won't be a problem as we only used 3 of the 4 wardrobes anyway.

We loved Dolphin deck, which is why we're back there again. The back deck was rarely used by anyone, and it was great being able to pop out in the morning to check the weather. It's a bit noisy out there due to an airconditioning outlet or something, and it can be a bit damp underfoot at times. There's some synthetic carpet which they must wash down daily, and it takes ages to dry. These are all the bad points, but the good far outweigh them. There are some deck chairs there, and it very relaxing. It's completely covered though, just the opening at the back.

Thanks everyone - we got confirmation from TA today that our cabin has been changed to D177. Which according to the orginal deck plan is one of the original 4 berths and is really close to that back balcony!).

It may also just be 3 of us cruising as DS (nearly 17) has just applied to join the RAAF so we will have to wait and see. He has his first interview in just over a week (he has been in the air force cadets for nearly 5 years and this is his dream).

CroydonCruiser, would you be able to take some photos of you cabin as you go before we do so I can get an idea of size etc?

Thanks Rach

Hi Rach,

These are all the original 4 berths (copied from an earlier thread), so you can check that you've got one of them.

Insides:

CAT I – Baja deck B107, 108, 111, 112, 116, 117, 120, 121, 124, 125, 128, 129, 132, 133, 136, 137, 290, 294, 295, 299

Outsides:

CAT DD – Caribe deck C226, 229, 230, 233, 234, 237, 238, 241, 242, 245, 246, 249, 250, 253, 254, 257

CAT D – Dolphin deck D166 to D179 inclusive

CAT E – Emerald deck E109, 110, 114, 115, 134, 135, 138, 139, 142, 143, 144, 146 to 153, 155

CAT E – Plaza deck P188 to P195 inclusive

As you can see, there are not many of them. We were in D151 last August, which is one of the re-furbished ones. It was fine, but at times the cabinets were a bit intrusive. This year I've requested one of the original 4 berths, which hopefully will work a bit better. I saw one of them last year, but it was made up as a twin. It did seem a bit roomier than ours, but didn't have as much storage. Hopefully that won't be a problem as we only used 3 of the 4 wardrobes anyway.

We loved Dolphin deck, which is why we're back there again. The back deck was rarely used by anyone, and it was great being able to pop out in the morning to check the weather. It's a bit noisy out there due to an airconditioning outlet or something, and it can be a bit damp underfoot at times. There's some synthetic carpet which they must wash down daily, and it takes ages to dry. These are all the bad points, but the good far outweigh them. There are some deck chairs there, and it very relaxing. It's completely covered though, just the opening at the back.

Hi Rach

I agree with Jo's comments above. I made a few posts in the original thread last year about the cabin size differences.

We were in cabin D170 last year and it was fantastic! I will be in cabin D166 this year and have requested no upgrade so I don't get moved. We went with 2 kids and still had plenty of storage space. The desk is actutally longer in the original 4 berth cabins too!

I think you have made a good choice :).

CroydonCruiser, would you be able to take some photos of you cabin as you go before we do so I can get an idea of size etc?

Sure. I'll post some pics when we get back. We're in D167, and like Rose, have requested no upgrade. I posted some pics of D151 last year in this thread (posts 23 and 50), if you are interested. I'll be able to give you a comparison of the two types when we get back too.

silly question really, but someone told me the cabins were smaller the lower down you travel, I stayed on Baha last time and it was excellent and am on Emerald this time which is a few floors lower....can anyone confirm that for me

We have cruised on PD twice in a 4 berth cabin (originally a 2 berth cabin on Regal Princess). We made a point of checking out one of the original 4 berth cabins on this cuise and we've decided that if we ever cruise on her again needing a 4 berth (less likely now she's going to Brisbane) we will specifically ask for one of the original 4 berths. Less storage but a bit roomier and the beds are way better going into the ceiling. I took a copy of cabin numbers with me but as it turned out some friends were in one so we just checked hers out.

The cabins are the same size, friends of ours had a balcony cabin which was smaller because of the balcony, but still big enough. I don't know why people like the higher decks as we have found that Plaza deck is great for movement etc. Much cheaper too!

Archived