I already hate NCL

I have cruised with Carnival for years and thought to give NCL a try this year. I have been nothing but disappointed and we are not even set to sail until December. First of all, I have been on hold with them twice for over 20 minutes each time, both of which I ended up hanging up before being helped. Second of all, my teenager loves to get a soda card but we do not drink soda. NCL tells us we either have to inconvenience his privileges and bring his soda on board with us, pay for his individual sodas all cruise or buy a soda package for ALL of us. Totally unacceptable. The boy is already bummed about no free daily sushi. The worst part is every time I do call to ask a question, the customer service is severely lacking. Not that I expect the answer I want every time, but they are not even sorry about having to deliver the bad news. I get a true feeling of 'take it or leave it' from them. Almost to the point of rudeness. I am pretty sure we are going on our first and LAST NCL cruise.

We too are taking our first NCL cruise coming up real soon.I can only comment on the customer service that I have received and that is has been a joy.

We live in the UK and I have spoken to NCL UK on the telephone few times and the response I have had has been excellent.

1) Don't use the general CS line. Too many people in the queue. Get and use a PCC.

2) You can still get the unlimited soda package for just one person. Either write to groupevent@ncl.com and request it be added for the person in question or wait until you are on your cruise and buy it. I would advise the former.

3) Hope you enjoy your cruise.

I always tend to enjoy myself no matter what, and I am not a person who usually complains, heck, about anything. Just irritated that this particular cruise seems to be all wrong for us. Maybe I am not NCL material. LOL But I will try the groupevent email. Even if we are only a group of three? :)

I have cruised with Carnival for years and thought to give NCL a try this year. I have been nothing but disappointed and we are not even set to sail until December. First of all, I have been on hold with them twice for over 20 minutes each time, both of which I ended up hanging up before being helped. Second of all, my teenager loves to get a soda card but we do not drink soda. NCL tells us we either have to inconvenience his privileges and bring his soda on board with us, pay for his individual sodas all cruise or buy a soda package for ALL of us. Totally unacceptable. The boy is already bummed about no free daily sushi. The worst part is every time I do call to ask a question, the customer service is severely lacking. Not that I expect the answer I want every time, but they are not even sorry about having to deliver the bad news. I get a true feeling of 'take it or leave it' from them. Almost to the point of rudeness. I am pretty sure we are going on our first and LAST NCL cruise.

While I have never bought a soda card, I'm surprised your rep told you everyone in the cabin must purchase the card. Did you book direct or with a TA? Someone has their info wrong.

We have the best PCC at NCL. Sorry your experience has not been the same we've experienced.

If you are that disappointed with NCL already why are you going on the cruise? You are within the cancelation period and would receive a full refund. Everytime someone complains about food on board I tell them to speak up, things will change. I'm speaking up to you, if you're so unhappy cancel your cruise and rebook with someone else.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

You still have time to cancel.

Better yet spend more time on the NCL board and you'll get lots of good info. Lots of helpful and NICE folks here............the same kind you will be cruising with.

Bet you'll find that you love NCL:)

First of all, no excuse for the customer service to be that poor

Second of all, I mean this respectfully, but letting things like soda and sushi ruin your impression before getting on-board seems like you're sabotaging your vacation before it starts.

Each cruise line will have their own nuances, and none of them are perfect, I think when your son goes into Osheehans and sees the kid friendly menu and all the games that he'll have a great time, and the sushi on NCL is better (in my opinion than the Carnival)

To break it all down, relax, let the cruise experience onboard speak for itself, go into it with an open mind and enjoy yourself!

Edited by ggooglyboogly

OP - if you had only done some research at this board you would see that you can easily get your son's soda package on board - that is what my son did. His was the only one. You really don't have to buy anything in advance if you don't want too.

And before they offered Diet Pepsi onboard I would take a couple of bottles for myself - they never had a problem with that.

I will be cruising on Celebrity for the first time in April - some things are going to be different than what I am used to (having to prepay my gratuities because I have anytime dining - what's up with that???) , but that is the whole point of trying a new cruise line to experience new things.

And if you already "hate it" then cancel now. You are only going to go looking for problems at this point to justify your attitude.

Without making excuses for the CS agent, it may hinge on how you asked, or how they HEARD you ask the question.

The drink card, for example must be bought be all adults in the cabin. The SOFT drink card, does not have such a restriction.

There's also free daily sushi in the buffet. So he can stop be bummed about something which hasn't happened.

You don't have to buy a soda package for anyone other than those that want it. The only package requiring everyone to buy in is the UBP (alcohol). We never buy in advance but do it while waiting at the pier or upon boarding. There is free sushi every day at the buffet. 20 minutes on hold is not too bad depending on time of day etc. If you booked directly with NCL find out who is assigned as you person cruise consultant and deal with him/her.

If these two items are going to make your party this upset 6 months before your cruise, you may want to reconsider your choice of cruise lines? NCL does a good job of what they do, provide a great cruise at a moderate price, if you've had more success with another line, that may be your best answer. Hope it goes well for you and yours either way.

I wouldn't go into a cruise thinking I will be disappointed. You still have time to cancel and get your money back and book with a cruise line that you feel will fill all your needs.

The thread title is very harsh and in my opinion not necessary. Your post doesn't improve much in tone either. From what you've posted I doubt very much NCL will be able to live up to your expectations, which surprises me with you having cruised Carnival for years. People have answered your 'totally unacceptable' thoughts on the soda package which should please you :D as for the boy being bummed out over sushi, he'll have to live with that extremely sad situation I'm afraid :( but never mind you can cancel and stick with your pals at Carnival, so don't hate, it's not a nice word, move on and forget your bad experiences here :p

Edited by DevonianCruiser

I bet the free sushi and one person soda package was really appreciate on that carnival ship that floated at see for days with no power. The thing is don't sweat the small stuff there most likely be something free daily your son will like and like the others have posted get the package on board for one person.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

First of all, remember the customer service people that you spoke to are land-based people who may or may NOT have been on cruises ...

Cruise Critic is the best place for you to enquire ...

Take a deep breath and read my comments in RED ...

I have cruised with Carnival for years and thought to give NCL a try this year. I have been nothing but disappointed and we are not even set to sail until December. First of all, I have been on hold with them twice for over 20 minutes each time, both of which I ended up hanging up before being helped. Second of all, my teenager loves to get a soda card but we do not drink soda. Prolly there were about 100 or so other people calling in at the time as you ... have you tried calling at different time? NCL tells us we either have to inconvenience his privileges and bring his soda on board with us, pay for his individual sodas all cruise or buy a soda package for ALL of us. We have been on a few cruises where our son had the Soda package and we didn't. MAYBE since the introduction of the UBP the land based Customer Service Reps (CSR) might be confused ... if there are anyone in cabin wanting to get UBP, the ALL other members in same cabin must also get either UBP or Soda package Totally unacceptable. The boy is already bummed about no free daily sushi. Yes there are some sushi found in the Garden Café Buffet - just the basic ones The worst part is every time I do call to ask a question, the customer service is severely lacking. Not that I expect the answer I want every time, but they are not even sorry about having to deliver the bad news. I get a true feeling of 'take it or leave it' from them. this is true, I'm afraid. It is possible they do not have real answer for you Almost to the point of rudeness. I am pretty sure we are going on our first and LAST NCL cruise. you are still before the final payment due date, why don't you cancel now?

We never call CSRs to ask questions - we prefer to go on cruise and see for ourselves .... and LEARN from each cruise to make our next cruise a better experience.

Lastly, do NOT expect that NCL is the mirror of Carnival. There are differences.

I hope you are able to learn what you need to from these boards and decide to keep the cruise on the Dawn. Be aware, the Dawn is one of the older ships and not as big as the newer Carnival cruises you have been on.

Enjoy.

Looking forward to our first NCL cruise in October after 14 cruises on other lines.

I have never phoned customer service with questions.

If I can't find the answer from my TA or the cruise line web site I know I'll find it on Cruise Critic

It is a sad post. I thought it was a joke at first. I have sailed both lines and they both have their good points and bad. I know people like this and they do not enjoy life very much because they are too busy finds fault.