Chef's Table: Cost Increase???

tennisobo

I read on another thread that the cost of the Chef's Table has increased to $90. Can any recent participants confirm this? If so, do you know the new cost for the Chef's Table without the alcohol. (I think this used to be $60).

I read on another thread that the cost of the Chef's Table has increased to $90. Can any recent participants confirm this? If so, do you know the new cost for the Chef's Table without the alcohol. (I think this used to be $60).

This is what I know: It has increased to $95 (not sure if it has increased on all the ships); it used to be $75 (at least since 2009 when we had the opportunity to enjoy our first CT). I'll find out if the price increased to $95 first hand when my DH and I board the Golden in 3 weeks!

This is what I know: It has increased to $95 (not sure if it has increased on all the ships); it used to be $75 (at least since 2009 when we had the opportunity to enjoy our first CT). I'll find out if the price increased to $95 first hand when my DH and I board the Golden in 3 weeks!

I still think we should all try to pack the Chef's table together! :p

A lot of others have been reporting the $95 price, I'm still willing to do it though. At least once.

All of the online info on each ship's dining options now says that the CT is $95/pp & is subject to change. Since no one would need such a notification for a price reduction, I interpret that to mean that they're considering an even larger price increase. :eek:

Here's the link for the Golden & there's also links to their other ships:

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/dining/dining_options/golden.html

It'a a great experience which we've done 4 times but won't in the future. I've seen portions reduced from the 1st to our last CT but still there is too much wasted food. I'm a big eater & hate to waste any food but there's too much & they could have reduced the portions even more to reduce their costs instead of increasing our costs to enjoy a CT. I would have preferred eliminating the cookbook, photo & flower because they're not that important to me.

The CT is a great experience, one that I'd highly recommend to do once after this 27% price increase. To spend $190 more than a MDR meal is not something we want to do again. :rolleyes:

We did it as well in 2009 and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. But almost a 30% increase in less that 2 years ........ My guess is it is the old supply and demand thing .... too many people requesting it thus raise the price.

That very well could be the bottom & it'll be interesting to see if any further changes will be made in the future. While it's still early, I've read posts that sometimes it has been cancelled due to lack of interest which never happened before the price increase. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for your knowledgeable responses. I have never done the Chef's Table but I was considering trying it with my sister-in-law next February. $90 is just too much for my budget, so unless they lower the price, I will just have to give it a miss. :(

Thanks again...

We had planned on going for it again next year, but, Princess if you are reading this, you have just priced yourself out of my price range.:(

john

I felt the same way & emailed Customer Relations with my feelings which I feel they will read but not necessarily consider. They said thanks, will forward it to management & that the CT hasn't decreased in popularity. That was their reply a couple of weeks ago after it was brought up on CC. Either those on CC aren't the norm for Princess passengers or Princess is fooling themselves. I haven't read many say they'll do it at the new price...one subject to change which must mean they're considering another price increase. :eek:

Haven't done the Chefs Table but have read many reviews and viewed many pictures. Even at $95 per person it still looks like a great deal for the price. We spend that much at a nice restaurant here in Roanoke and the addition of the rose, cook book and picture makes it even nicer. (Also no tip required!!) I can see that if you have done it a number of times you would not want to spend the extra money for the additional items. Maybe now with all those who feel it is too expensive we will have a better chance of getting chosen to attend;)

I agree with somomaphil: $75 was just so-so. $95 is totally out of line with what the dinner is. Unless they significantly upgraded both the food and wine, $95 is nuts!

I barely ate the entree on our last CT (overcooked, tough meat) and the wine was very pedestrian as well as "tightly" poured.

I agree with somomaphil: $75 was just so-so. $95 is totally out of line with what the dinner is. Unless they significantly upgraded both the food and wine, $95 is nuts!

I barely ate the entree on our last CT (overcooked, tough meat) and the wine was very pedestrian as well as "tightly" poured.

Indeed the wine waiters objective on several of our Chef's Tables seemed to be to pour the least possible and have half bottles of everything left over at the end of the meal.

However the last one we did four of us sat there at the end and emptied every bottle.

A tough job but someone had to do it!

Ever see waiters look sad?

We did.

Maybe we ruined their after hours party?

Indeed the wine waiters objective on several of our Chef's Tables seemed to be to pour the least possible and have half bottles of everything left over at the end of the meal.

However the last one we did four of us sat there at the end and emptied every bottle.

A tough job but someone had to do it!

Ever see waiters look sad?

We did.

Maybe we ruined their after hours party?

I also noticed this change between our 1st & our last CT...smaller pours & not as easy to get a refill.

... and the wine was very pedestrian as well as "tightly" poured.

I also noticed this change between our 1st & our last CT...smaller pours & not as easy to get a refill.

With Princess' rather liberal corkage policy, is there any prohibition against bringing a special bottle (or two...or three) to the CT? Sounds like treasures from one's cellar may be a more appropriate match for the meal. And if you are drinking (and sharing) your own wine, there is no reason for short pours.

With Princess' rather liberal corkage policy, is there any prohibition against bringing a special bottle (or two...or three) to the CT? Sounds like treasures from one's cellar may be a more appropriate match for the meal. And if you are drinking (and sharing) your own wine, there is no reason for short pours.

Like many things, the enjoyment of wine is subject to each person's tastes.

I found the quality of champagne & wine to be excellent...Veuve Clicquot champagne in the galley & a very nice bottle of Kenwood's Jack London Cabernet Sauvignon which costs about $60 onboard are some of the ones I recall. With champagne in the galley and white, then red, then white dessert wine during the meal...everyone seems to get as much as they desire.

So for me, I think the quality of the wine & champagne is great even if it's getting more difficult to keep your glass filled. I'm just a little bit more persistent than the pourer & I've always ended my four CTs full & happy! :D

I have to agree as to the wine being 'Tightly Poured'.

john

We had planned on going for it again next year, but, Princess if you are reading this, you have just priced yourself out of my price range.:(

john

Just got back from the Sapphire Princess and very much wanted to do the Chef's Table based on all the wonderful things I read here on Cruise Critic. We raced to the specialty dining area as soon as we boarded as I also heard it was very popular and you had to book early. Was I extremely disappointed to find out that as of about 2 weeks ago the price increased to $95/pp. That's just a ridiculous ripoff and yet one more way Princess tries to dig deeper into its customers' collective pockets. We were a party of 8 celebrating my mom's 75th birthday but I just couldn't justify spending $800 for dinner (it was going to be my treat). They should really be a little more sensitive to these hard economic times and not be so greedy.

Just got back from the Sapphire Princess and very much wanted to do the Chef's Table based on all the wonderful things I read here on Cruise Critic. We raced to the specialty dining area as soon as we boarded as I also heard it was very popular and you had to book early. Was I extremely disappointed to find out that as of about 2 weeks ago the price increased to $95/pp. That's just a ridiculous ripoff and yet one more way Princess tries to dig deeper into its customers' collective pockets. We were a party of 8 celebrating my mom's 75th birthday but I just couldn't justify spending $800 for dinner (it was going to be my treat). They should really be a little more sensitive to these hard economic times and not be so greedy.

Hopefully you have expressed your feelings to Princess?

Do you know if they had the CT during your cruise or was it like a recent post where it was cancelled due to lack of interest? I don't think it's a lack of interest but instead a lack of willingness to pay their 27% price hike. :rolleyes:

I have had the pleasure of participating in the CT two times, once each in 2009 and 2010. The CT is not just a meal, it is an experience--touring the kitchen and learning how they serve thousands of meals per day, chatting with the Exec. Chef and Maitre 'd, enjoying champagne and hor'dourves, having a beautifully set table (flowers, candles, special dinner plates. etc), we had generous pours on both of the CT's I participated in (if you want more signal the waiter), the lobster risotto was wonderful, meats were cooked perfectly for my taste(if it wasn't I would have requested another piece), the meats were different at each CT, the dessert was beautifully presented on a spun sugar plate (got to meet the pastry chef), all in all a great experience. Plus, we received wonderful service, a nice picture to capture the event, a rose, and a cookbook.

The first CT was more "fun" because we got to enjoy the dinner with two couples from our Roll Call (plus, there were 3 other couples that we had the pleasure to get to know). It was a great evening. The second CT was a little more subdued--but it was still a wonderful event.

I'm not a foodie per se, but I do enjoy good food, good wine, and good company. The CT provided all of these things.

After reading everyone's concern over the price increase, I asked my husband if he wanted to pay $95 to participate in the CT on our cruise next month. He said."absolutely". So we're going to get our name on the CT list as soon as we get on board-hopefully we'll be selected to participate.

One other thought--the CT is a purely voluntary event. If the value is not there, you can choose not to participate. There are many other dining options to choose from. This is what we love about cruising--there is something for everyone!

I have to agree as to the wine being 'Tightly Poured'.

john

I did notice this on the Golden's CT back in February.

As far as the price increase goes, I'll continue to book the CT as I think it's still a great experience for the price. I totally understand differing opinions but I still don't mind paying for an event I'll only experience once every year or two.

Bob

Absolutely, if they have raised the price to $95 per person it is no longer a fun event, but one where you have to think about the money all night. I would much prefer they reduce portion size, or shorten a course.....there was way too much food in the CT we did two years ago. Hopefully Princess will listen, this event was a real treat but not at the new price.

Hopefully you have expressed your feelings to Princess?

Do you know if they had the CT during your cruise or was it like a recent post where it was cancelled due to lack of interest? I don't think it's a lack of interest but instead a lack of willingness to pay their 27% price hike. :rolleyes:

I did indeed -- I let Princess know in the post-cruise survey and I posted a member review on CC which mentions my disappointment. I did not follow up to see if the CT actually happened and/or how many participants they got. You're absolutely right about it not being a matter of lack of interest but most certainly the lack of a willingness to pay. It may be my small way to protest, but perhaps if others refuse to pay the increase then maybe Princess will listen.

Archived