Booked Alaska! Pearl Sept 1.

scrambled

Very executed now that we booked Alaska for Sept 1st on the Pearl! Any suggestions on excursions for Juneau and Ketchikan? We will be doing the train in Skagway and we also have two 13yr old boys with us... Whale watching looked great but not sure on the $650 price tag. Any ideas?

congratulations on choosing alaska and especially the pearl. it is a fabulous ship for fabulous area. i always use the local for my tours in juneau, ketchikan and skagway. they are very dependable and give smaller passenger tours that make it more personal. $650 seems high for 4 people for the whale tour. is that with the ship? check out www.orcaenterprises or www.harvandmarve.com . they are both popular whale tour co's that give wonderful whale tours. ketchikan is great for ziplining, fjord flightseeing, nature walks and seeing salmon at creek street, deadliest catch type tour with the crab lunch and the lumber jack show is there also. some say it is kind of hokey but fun. skagway of course has the train and many other things too do. that is the port that you will be in that port the longest. bike riding is great there also. i do not recommend taking the bike ride back down the mt. it is dangerous with hardly any place too ride on the side of the road with very heavy traffic. i have seen these bike riders and pray none of them get hit. that is just my opinion only. or stay on the ship and enjoy the pool and slide when the ship is pretty much empty. i know you will have a great time. keep us informed on what you are going to do. the more popular tours book very fast so dont wait till the last minute if you have something that you really have your heart set on doing.

Here is a site that might help you http://cruiseportinsider.com/index.html

Also the Pearl arrives in Juneau around 1:45 PM and leaves around 9:30PM - in Sept it will be getting dark - even in late June it was what I consider dusk when we arrived back from our tour around 9:00. The attached photo of the Pearl was taken from our tour boat.

All tours in AK are expensive, but most are well worth it. Most all of the cruise lines use Allen Marine for water based tours - they have larger boats that can hold lots of people while the Orcas and Harv and Marv's have much smaller boats for a more personalized tour and often cheaper tour.

The same holds true for Skagway - check out Green Jeep, Dyea Dave, and Chilkoot tours.

Not sure what your kids would like, but there are things like Ziplines, white water rafting, bicycle tours and more. They might also like the bowling alleys and climbing wall on the Pearl. They might also be brave enough to go into the pools too - I prefer the hot tubs :cool:

047.jpg.883f4ff5ac4429a9a7ac0e4f0a784a8c.jpg

Archived