Live from the Golden

cynbar

Here we are , checking in live from the Golden Princess. We're in Aruba today and the weather is perfect, as it's been all week. The ship is gorgeous and really well maintained, the crew are all frendly and helpful, and the food has been exemplary. They're even changed the menus somewhat (a pleasatn surprise for alll of us repeat Princess cruisers!!) ---- last night was English Night, which I've never seen before, featuring roast beef and lemon sole which were both excellent. The only minor problem has been that bar waiters are sometimes very hard to find, quite a change from the old days when you couldn't get much peace from them. We did find a great waiter, Garvin who has been in the Explorers Lounge --- he's personable, friendly and a real pleasure to interact with, please look him up if you'll be on the Golden soon. I know that this is the last Caribbean cruise of the season, but if anyone has any questions, I'll be glad to answer them. DH and I are traveling with some friends from back home, and all of us are giving this cruise high marks.

Thanks for checking in. Did the English menu have Yorkshire Pudding w/ the Prime Rib??? Are there alot of Brits on board??? Usually when there are,

the menu's are modified to accommodated them.

We will join her on Sunday sailing into NYC. Can you please tell me

what shows they've had, who the bands in the Wheelhouse Bar are &

who is the piano player in the Promanade Lounge???

Thanks again & enjoy the rest of your cruise!!!

Any word on when this ship will be outfitted with MUTS? Sailing on 11/5 and would LOVE to have this experience! Taking first time cruisers with us and this would be quite a treat for them as well!

Yes, there are a lot of British passengers on board -- we've chatted with several, and they all seem to be doing a 21 or 28 day cruise, starting on one of the Southern Caribbean routes and continuing on all the way to Southampton. The roast beef dinner did have Yorkshire pudding (really a popover) with it, also horseradish if desired, and my DH said it was delicious. We also had Caribbean Night, so I don't know if that will continue on your cruise. We have a lot of Spanish-speaking passengers on board, and the band in the Wheelhouse has been a Latin music kind of band. Maurizio is the piano player/singer in the lobby lounge. Our first show was Words and Music of Broadway (very good) and tonight we get Caribbean Caliente. There have also been some comedians and a hypnotist whom I didn't see. No mention anywhere on board of adding MUTS, so I don't have any info there. We also had a great meal in the steakhouse, well worth the surcharge. Hope all this helps!!

Thank you so much for doing this; we're doing the 5/22 British Isles Cruise. Is the Hypnotist Fernandez? Wonder if he will be on our sailing. He was on the Grand in January and it was the best and funniest show I ever saw in my life. We absolutely can not wait!

Thanks for the report, flying out in the morning to board the Golden as she heads to New York!

CruiseAholic, would you please continue this thread when you get on the ship? And PLEASE check on that Hypnotist--Thanks

I was recently on the Golden B2B in March for a reunion. We had an awesome time. Maurizio was singing then. He is excellent.

The Yorkshire pudding when we were onboard was quite disappointing. Overdone & dry. Sounds like your's was better.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

I will be meeting up with friends on the Golden in NYC 5/8.

We are in anytime dining, and we've had nothing but good experiences all week. I was on the Diamond in January, and quite frankly the DR service was not up to the standards we were used to on Princess. We had concluded that the auto tipping was affecting performance, but that hasn't been the case at all this week. The 2 anytime DRs are Bernini and Donatello, both off the atrium on decks 5 and 6. We've eaten in both, and haven't had bad service yet. The other DR is traditional --- I don't recall the name right now, but it's the way in the aft of the ship with it's own entrance by elevator or stairs. The service in Horizon Court has also been excellent ---- our plates have been cleared promptly, almost before we finish them!!, and the waiters are eager to fetch water or coffee or iced tea. Carts are also circulating during breakfast hours with coffee and tea. Last night was lobster night and it was as delicious as ever---I really don't know how they manage this so successfully.Our cabin steward has also been wonderful, about the best we've ever had --- he is James Berdos on Dolphin deck port side, if any of you are lucky enough to have him. Someone asked earlier about the music in the Wheelhouse Bar --- in addtion to the latin group, they have had the Jean Mac Quartet and they have been very good. Deep Blue has been the pool band, but unfortunately, they said they're getting off the ship tomorrow. The Golden is really a beautiful ship -- this is our 6th Princess cruise, and I thnk it's the best one yet. I'll check for you on the hypnotist -- I think I have all the Patters back in the cabin. Signing off for now----

Well, we're back and I'll post some more info soon, but I wanted to send along a picture of Garvin, our favorite bar waiter---- he's usually in Explorers' Lounge in the evenings and by the pool during the day, so please say hello if you see him!

336613059ZJwOpj_ph.jpg.3b4bee13602ce21b2d328071b93d39a9.jpg

Cynbar, that's a great photo! Now we'll know who to look for when we need an Irish coffee (it'll probably be cold in Scotland!). Hope you're having a fantastic time! How did you get the photo to upload to the internet from the ship?

Cynbar, thanks for the picture, Beth will get the Irish Coffee but I'm partial to the Chocolate Banana!!!! We leave May 22! Thanks for doing this thread! Where was your cabin? I'm glad PC worked out for you because that's what we're doing and we had wonderful luck on the Grand in January. Looking forward to hearing more from you!

I posted that picture after I got home on Sunday and downloaded my pictures onto my computer --- but I think I probably could have done it from the ship if I had put my pictures onto a CD, which I know the photo shop will do for passengers. At that point, I should have been able to save my picture into its own file, used Paint to make it smaller and then added it to my post via Manage Attachments at the bottom of my reply. I actually thought about doing that, but my memory card was big enough for all my pictures (about 150 total) so I didn't bother. The cruise director for us was Paul O'Loughlin and he was good, with a nice, dry British sense of humor, but I don't know how long he'll be on the ship. We were in a mini suite, D626, just forward of the aft elevators --- the cabin was in great shape, with the best steward we've seen. Here's a link to our webshots album, although I know you won't be anywhere near our itinerary in the Caribbean: http://community.webshots.com/album/336576000PcUTNH

Can't believe you two ALREADY got to go on another cruise. We were with you on the Diamond in January and don't get to go again until December on the Star.

Sounds like you had a great cruise! NOW STAY HOME! ;)

Gloria

I was recently on the Golden B2B in March for a reunion. We had an awesome time. Maurizio was singing then. He is excellent. ""

Wow! Is he still on the Golden? We stopped by every night to hear him sing and play and we bought his CD. Don't miss this entertainer he is fantastic.

Archived