Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

Just booked an Alaskian cruise..can anyone tell me the how the spa facilities are on this ship? Steam rooms..saunas...in locker room or coed...free or a charge...thanks.

I was on Radiance last month to Alaska. As with the previous reply, yes, it is separate facilities, and free for the sauna and steam. Plenty of lockers, although I seemed to always get keys to only 2 of them. Lots of towels. Three showers in the room with the steam and saunas.

The dry sauna was somewhat small. It was never crowded in the spa, so 3 or 4 guys all had enough space in it at the same time.

The problem was the steam room. It is a rectangular, with benches on two

of the sides. Those benches were most likely designed to sit 3 or 4 each. But--the steam out of the vents was very hot, and the vents were spaced in a way that no-one could sit directly by them. In order to not burn feet/ankles/legs meant that only 3 or 4 max could sit in the room at the same time. Luckily that was not a real problem, since the spa was not busy. I bet that on an itinerary with fewer ports, this could be an issue since it was only possible to sit in the corners, not on the middle part of each part of the L-shaped bench.

The spa staff was the nicest and most professional I have found on any RCL ship. Facilities in the spa were always clean, and in good condition.

You will definitely enjoy Radiance.

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from 7 nights on Adventure of the Seas sailing out of Malaga. The mens spa area on this trip was quiet on most of my visits, it seems that the majority of the passengers who were Spanish, were not interested in using this facility. The area was kept quite clean, with attendents passing through and drying the floor with a mop every ten minutes or so! On a minus note beware the showers here as they are VERY hot & cold water was hard to come by - except at the water fountain. :)

I M going on the Allure in November, I will give you an update when I get back. If anyone has any first hand information about the Allure and what to do and not do it would be appreciated.

Hi Jim Bill, Looking foward to your review. We are also sailing the Allure in November, when are you sailing?

• 3 weeks later...

I have just returned from 8 days on the MSC Orchestra, fantastic ship, well designed with good gym and equipement and excellent spa. There are 2 steam rooms and 2 sauna. All are co-ed, the only downside to these facilities is the 16 euros charge for an hour. This is an expensive leisure time, always like to use sauna/steam after gym session, but the cost put me off.

We just returned from a 16-day on the Celebrity Eclipse - what a beautiful ship!

I was concerned about the Persian Garden, due to previous comments. For one, the area was secured. In exchange for your sea pass card, you would receive a swipe card to access the Persian Garden. People were not allowed to "come and go".

The relaxation area, with the tiled warm loungers was very, very quiet at all times. It was rarely completely booked and there were chaises available. The steam and dry sauna were both co-ed and very nice. The rooms are bright as floor to ceiling windows take up the entire length of the wall.

The men's only locker room has a small dry sauna which can comfortably seat 8 men, 10 a little cramped. I think the most I saw in there were 5 men. The locker room area is very small, a big disapointment from the M-class ships. Only three small cushioned box chairs to sit on. For cooling down, you would need to go into the showers.

There are 3-showers and the doors don't always flop open like on the M-class. There are wooden secure benches in the shower area. The disabled person's shower area is quite large. ;) All of the shower doors are frosted. The shower and vanity / sink area are very nice.

What's interesting though is the Solstice class ships hold about 900 more passengers, yet the sauna area and men's locker room are smaller. The persian garden area is very nice though and larger. The relaxation lounge is on the second floor of the Aqua Spa and is very nice, with about 18 - 20 large cushioned loungers. This is all the way forward on the Aqua Spa deck (deck 11) with windows facing the bow of the ship. There is a spiral staircase which connects the persian garden and men's locker room area to the relaxation lounge.

We just returned from a 16-day on the Celebrity Eclipse - what a beautiful ship!

I was concerned about the Persian Garden, due to previous comments. For one, the area was secured. In exchange for your sea pass card, you would receive a swipe card to access the Persian Garden. People were not allowed to "come and go".

The relaxation area, with the tiled warm loungers was very, very quiet at all times. It was rarely completely booked and there were chaises available. The steam and dry sauna were both co-ed and very nice. The rooms are bright as floor to ceiling windows take up the entire length of the wall.

The men's only locker room has a small dry sauna which can comfortably seat 8 men, 10 a little cramped. I think the most I saw in there were 5 men. The locker room area is very small, a big disapointment from the M-class ships. Only three small cushioned box chairs to sit on. For cooling down, you would need to go into the showers.

There are 3-showers and the doors don't always flop open like on the M-class. There are wooden secure benches in the shower area. The disabled person's shower area is quite large. ;) All of the shower doors are frosted. The shower and vanity / sink area are very nice.

What's interesting though is the Solstice class ships hold about 900 more passengers, yet the sauna area and men's locker room are smaller. The persian garden area is very nice though and larger. The relaxation lounge is on the second floor of the Aqua Spa and is very nice, with about 18 - 20 large cushioned loungers. This is all the way forward on the Aqua Spa deck (deck 11) with windows facing the bow of the ship. There is a spiral staircase which connects the persian garden and men's locker room area to the relaxation lounge.

Did you have to pay to get in to the mens locker room to use the sauna?

• 1 month later...

Just returned from my cruise on the Allure. What a great ship. In the Thermal Suites there are 2 steam rooms, 1 sauna, and two rain showers. There are also 4 thermal chairs which feel good after the steam rooms. They were never crowded...most was 2 people in the steam room which is good since they are very small. The locker room is a nice size with 3 showers and plenty of lockers. There is a $99 price for the use of them for the week. I found it worth the money. The steam rooms and sauna are coed. They require a swim suit or a towel ( I opted for the towel). You have to walk from the locker room to the sauna area, so robes are provided for the short walk. Was in the steam room one time with a man who "uncovered" and said he would coverup if a women came in...no problem...frosted glassdoors that give you time to "cover" up if you want..although Im sure the ship does not condone this behavior.

All in all...worth the money. Hope this helps everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I was on the sensation in September 2011 and was impressed with the free, very nice sized steam and sauna in the mens locker room. They seem to be new. no window inside either room but outside of them is a big window with a small windowsill that you can cool off in and enjoy the view.

Thinking about a 14 day Alaska cruise on the HAL Amsterdam...

Anyone steamed on this ship?

:)

Sorry, not this particular HAL ship but several others, I have cruised exclusively on Holland America. Several friends and I are going to celebrate a birthday on the Sept 7th sailing (14-day return) via Seattle. We love the service on Holland America.

Four more weeks and will be ready to join the Oriana cant wait, understand it has been refitted so will be interesting to see if any new facilities. Not sure the Spa has been re furbished or not, I do hope they have separate facilities for sauna etc. You cannot beat a good sauna after gym session.

Four more weeks and will be ready to join the Oriana cant wait, understand it has been refitted so will be interesting to see if any new facilities. Not sure the Spa has been re furbished or not, I do hope they have separate facilities for sauna etc. You cannot beat a good sauna after gym session.

Sorry no they have not updated the sauna and steam I think it is still Co-ed like it always was.

Let us know when you return, hope P&O have not started to charge for this.

• 5 weeks later...
I am sailing on the Crown Princess in a few weeks time & was wondering if anyone had sailed on her recently & could tell me about the mens spa facilities?

Lots of good info on this thread! Anyone know about the gym & Men's sauna facilities on the Carnival Magic? Going out of Galveston soon!

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Hi David, I think I read somewhere that the little dry sauna on the Ryndam (and any other HAL ship similar) was rarely, if ever, used. Did you find this to be the case?

I have sailed on R, S, and Vista class HAL ships, and have found "rarely" to be the norm on all of the HAL ships.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been on the Norwegian Jewel: Separate Male, Female, Coed spa areas. Men’s area has a large Steam Room, Dry Sauna, Cold Plunge, Tropical Shower, Large Whirlpool, Exposed Showers, Private Showers, Lockers, Lounge Chairs and Big Screen TVs.

I have also been on the Norwegian Pearl: Separate Male, Female, Coed spa areas. Men’s area has a large Steam Room, Dry Sauna, Cold Plunge, Two Personal Sized Hot Tubs, Exposed Showers, Private Showers, Lockers and Lounge Chairs.

Both were awesome. The Jewel was the best. Does anyone know of a ship with a Men’s only Spa area, free or not that compares to these two ships now days?