Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Cruise Foodies

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old March 6th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default ST. MARTIN - BEST Restaurant for Fine French Dining Experience?

Hey guys! I am a HUGE foodie, going on Carnival Valor's southern caribbean itinerary a month from now. Now, I know I'm for sure not going to get a "gourmet" experience on the boat (though I'm sure everything will be perfectly adequate), so I'm hoping I can satisfy my inner foodie needs on some of the islands.

I've heard Grand Case in St. Martin is a great place to find authentic french food. The question is...how do I choose?? I've looked on trip advisor and seen their top choices but I'd really like to hear if any of you fellow foodies have had first hand experience.

Also, if anyone knows if any restaurants have prix fixe type tasting menus that would also be nice to know...

Grazie!

2015: 7 Day Western Caribbean; Carnival Dream
2013: 7 Day Southern Caribbean; Carnival Valor
2010: 7 Day Mexican Riviera; Carnival Splendor
2004: 4 Day Bahamas; Sovereign of the Seas

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 6th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Addendum: Will also need to be a place that's open for lunch (Cruise leaves port at 5:00pm)

Old March 7th, 2013, 12:08 PM
10,000+ Club

You will receive more responses on a forum such as Chowhound than on Cruise Critic. Here is a link to a fairly recent thread on a similar subject: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/844646

You might want to see if any of the restaurants mentioned on that thread are open for lunch and look good; if not try posting a question on Chowhound.

Completed Cruises:
RCI Allure of the Seas - September 2, 2012 - Eastern Caribbean (Aft Boardwalk Balcony; 24 Restaurants in 7 Days)!
Celebrity Millennium - May 27, 2012 - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise with Temecula, San Diego, and Vancouver Land Add On (Sky Suite GTY)
Celebrity Millennium - February 20, 2012 - Western Caribbean (Adult Spring Break: SoBe, Millie & The Penthouse)
Celebrity Silhouette - September 27, 2011 - Holy Land (Concierge Class)
Celebrity Equinox - October 31, 2010 - Mediterranean & Westbound Transatlantic with the Hobgoblins (First Suite)
Celebrity Equinox - December 4, 2009 - Southern Caribbean (Aqua Class "Hump" Stateroom)
RCI Jewel of the Seas - January 9, 2009 - Panama Canal Cruise with the Panamaniacs!
Celebrity Century - April 28, 2008 - Transatlantic: Miami to Amsterdam Honeymoon Cruise with the Centurions!
HAL Noordam - May 13, 2007 - Alaska Inside Passage
RCI Adventure of the Seas - November 26, 2006 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI Grandeur of the Seas - February 11, 2006 - Western Caribbean
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - January 8, 2005 - Western Caribbean

Old March 7th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Many thanks! Wasn't sure where/who to ask.

Old April 18th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wish I found this post earlier! We lived in St Martin for a few months and I would highly recommend Le France. We would eat there once a week and their escargot is to die for. They serve it in a puff pastry. Where did you end up going?

Old June 23rd, 2013, 10:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Le Tastevin in Grand Case, St. Martin

Based upon your dates, I know this reply is a bit late, but I had to weigh in - we too had heard what a foodie mecca Grand Case is, so we were very excited to go for lunch, on our day in port off of the Celebrity Summit this past October. We were honestly, super disappointed in Grand Case as a town - after reading all of the hype, I think our expectations were very high. We did, however, have a very good lunch at Le Tastevin - excellent red snapper, beautiful table right at the water, all very nice. You can read my review on TripAdvisor. Which, in fact, as someone else wrote, is a better place to get recommendations - which is why we decided upon Le Tastevin, that, plus once you are boots on the ground, so to speak, you get a better feel. I would love to hear where you went!
The one venue that we indisputably LOVED was Sarafina's in Marigot, WOW, pastries like we have never had before, amazing!
Celebrity Summit October 2012; 7 Night Caribbean Repositioning, NJ to San Juan - review
Celebrity Solstice Jan 2013; 12 Night Sydney, Australia - Auckland, New Zealand - review
Celebrity Solstice Jan 2013; 18 Night Auckland, New Zealand - Perth, Australia - review
Celebrity Equinox April 2013; 15 Night Eastbound Transatlantic; Canary Islands, Strait of Gibraltar - review
Celebrity Silhouette Sept 2013; 11 Night Adriatic Venice to Rome - review
Celebrity Summit April 2014; 8 Night Bermuda & Caribbean Repo, San Juan to NJ - review
Celebrity Eclipse August 2014; 14 Night Baltic Sea - Scandinavia & Russia
Celebrity Solstice Sept 2014; 11 Night Alaska - Skagway, Juneau, Inside Passage
Disney Magic Feb 2015; 7 Night Western Caribbean
Celebrity Infinity April 2015; 17 Night Panama Canal, FL to San Francisco
Celebrity Infinity May 2015; 11 Night San Francisco to Alaska
Celebrity Silhouette Sept 2015; 10 Night Mediterranean - Sardinia, Corsica