Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise Air

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:39 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default If government shuts down-- Can you fly?

Seems customs, TSA, flight controllers and who knows who else are government employees? If the government closes down will I be able to fly to Europe? Many of my neighbors are pretty worried. Worst thing is that all these little cogs in the machinery are real people with bills to pay.
And I am a real person wanting to fly on April 11

Barbara and Walter
Bowie, Md.

2014Oceanic Discoverer New Zealand South Island
2013 Disney Dream 2012Diamond Princess The Orient route Star Princess Cape Horn Route SA 2011M/V Evolution Galapagos Islands 2011 Uniworld River Duchess Tulips/windmills;2010 Crown Princess Canada/New England;2010 Coral Princess Panama Canal;2009 Oceania Nautica Greece and Turkey;2008 Cunard QM2 Southern Caribbean;2008 Celebrity Constellation Iberia & TA;2007 Majestic American Queen of West ColumbiaR;2006 Princess Star Princess Baltic;2004 Princess Tahitian Princess South Pacific;2003 Viking River Cruises Clara Schumann Elbe R;2002 Coral Princess (Aust) Coral Princess2 Reef;2001 Princess Royal Princess Norwegian Fijords;2000 Jungle Expeditions La Turmalina Amazon R;1999 Disney Magic Bahamas;1998 RCCL Enchanment of Seas Western Carib.;1996 Princess Star Princess (old) Alaska;1994 RCCL Monarch of the Seas Southern Carib;1990 RCCL Nordic Prince Bermuda;1987 RCCL Sun Viking Eastern Carib.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:33 AM
5,000+ Club

Remember how everyone says that "essential services" will continue. ICE will continue to be in business. ATC will be in business.

Sidebar thought.....if the government will continue "essential services" during a shutdown, does that therefore mean that everything else, by definition, is "non-essential"? And if it's non-essential, why are we doing it? Hmmmm.

"Anybody who believes they can out-think the airlines' revenue/yield management computer algorithms is, in my view, delusional." -- Gardyloo

"It doesn't really make a blind bit of difference what other people are paying since they're traveling from different airports, on different days, at different times of the year." -- fbgd

"Daddy he hates airplanes, Baby loves to fly. The Lady wants to know the reason why." -- Michael Franks

My standard response to all the questions of "Can I make that early flight home?" or "Can I take a bag that is oversized without paying?":
"Well, you gotta ask yourself....do you feel lucky? Well do you?" -- Inspector Harry Callahan

Old April 2nd, 2011, 11:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerTalker View Post
Remember how everyone says that "essential services" will continue. ICE will continue to be in business. ATC will be in business.

Sidebar thought.....if the government will continue "essential services" during a shutdown, does that therefore mean that everything else, by definition, is "non-essential"? And if it's non-essential, why are we doing it? Hmmmm.
What's essential to one person may seem non-essential to another. There was, I believe, a move to eliminate several military bands during budget negotiations this year, but the move was eliminated. Others feel that food inspections can be cut, and controls on pollution eliminated. During the shutdown of a few years ago, national parks were shut (except for those through which some highways ran through, such as Death Valley). I guess we could just increase the entrance fees, or get rid of the parks, and let the private sector run them (make them theme parks?).

Old April 8th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie MeMe View Post
Seems customs, TSA, flight controllers and who knows who else are government employees? If the government closes down will I be able to fly to Europe? Many of my neighbors are pretty worried. Worst thing is that all these little cogs in the machinery are real people with bills to pay.
And I am a real person wanting to fly on April 11
To answer your question, TSA and customs will continue working. Flights and cruises will be able to depart as scheduled. As far as travel, passport applications will be held up and national parks will be closed.

Celebration, 1998
Carnival Destiny, 1999
Carnival Destiny, 2000
RCCL Serenade of the Seas, 2004
Crown Princess, 2007
Carnival Fantasy, 2008
Ruby Princess, 2008
Carnival Sensation (Abbie), 2009
Carnival Fantasy, 2009
Caribbean Princess, 2009
Carnival Triumph, 2010
Emerald Princess, 2010
Golden Princess (Alaska), 2011
RCCL Voyager of the Seas, 2011
NCL Spirit, 2012
Emerald Princess, 2012
Carnival Freedom (Girls' Trip), 2013
NCL Sun, 2013
NCL Jewel, 2014
Celebrity Summit, 2014
RCCL Oasis of the Seas, 2015

Old April 8th, 2011, 06:58 PM
40,000+ Club

From everything I have read, the only impact on travel will be that passport and visa applications will not be processed.

Old April 8th, 2011, 07:46 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul929207 View Post
From everything I have read, the only impact on travel will be that passport and visa applications will not be processed.
Passport & visa applications aren't going to come to a complete stand still, they will just take at LOT longer tp process

Old April 8th, 2011, 08:26 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashland View Post
Passport & visa applications aren't going to come to a complete stand still, they will just take at LOT longer tp process
I need to EDIT as I just went to the post office.... they just might..better go get in one of the LONG lines forming..