Aida?

Alex71

As an MSC regular, I'm looking at a very interesting Aida two week Aida itinerary from Hamburg to Mallorca, that falls nicely into our kids' fall break. Pricing is attractive at 999 pp minus whatever discount my travel agent is willing to give me.

Has anyone cruised Aida and can comment on how it compares to MSC?

From what I've gathered, the pros and cons are:

+ service charge / tips included

+ drinks with the meals included

+ sauna included + classic experience

+ less passengers relative to the size of the ship

+ better buffets

+ 200 EUR shareholder OBC when buying 100 Carnival shares

- less international experience

- only buffets included, no full service MDR

- limited buffet hours

- ship design not as stylish

An advice from anyone who has cruised both lines would be appreciated.

Lol -- I've never been on Aida or Msc, but have read a gazillion reviews and seen documentaries. I agree with the maaaannnyy Germans. We are German too, but I also prefer a more international flair. I also believe Aida has a LOT more stuff going on...especially for the kids. If you like party, animation and many options on board to spend your time I think Aida will be great. I personally wouldn't chose them because of the buffet only dining and the overload of my fellow countrymen. I believe they tend to have a younger age average than MSC.

Stef

Although I'm German and everyone in our family speaks it, the fact that Aida is primarily marketed in German-speaking countries is definitely a concern. I'm afraid it might attract the crowds that only feel comfortable in their own cultre.

I'm reading that Aida is moving away from the club / party ship concept, so I'm wondering to what extend that still is true, especially on these longer itineraries.

Lol -- I've never been on Aida or Msc, but have read a gazillion reviews and seen documentaries. I agree with the maaaannnyy Germans. We are German too, but I also prefer a more international flair. I also believe Aida has a LOT more stuff going on...especially for the kids. If you like party, animation and many options on board to spend your time I think Aida will be great. I personally wouldn't chose them because of the buffet only dining and the overload of my fellow countrymen. I believe they tend to have a younger age average than MSC.

Stef

The buffet-only dining would be a deal-breaker for me. However, I am fascinated by these lines marketed to specific countries or language-speakers and not to others. I am one of those who, when I travel, need to feel I am travelling and not be in my own cultural bubble (I don't believe there is a Yorkshire-themed cruise line yet). So, while these cruise lines may attract those who do want to be in their own bubble, they should provide an authentic cultural experience to we alien tourists.

Any suggestions for other lines?

The buffet-only dining would be a deal-breaker for me. However, I am fascinated by these lines marketed to specific countries or language-speakers and not to others. I am one of those who, when I travel, need to feel I am travelling and not be in my own cultural bubble (I don't believe there is a Yorkshire-themed cruise line yet). So, while these cruise lines may attract those who do want to be in their own bubble, they should provide an authentic cultural experience to we alien tourists.

Yeah right, the "typical" German loves the buffet and I really read horror stories about that. But the open-minded Germans I know, who cruised with AIDA and tried also something else, don't prefer AIDA.

And the prices are often very high compared to other cruise lines, so you pay more for less. For me not a good deal.

If the cruise experience is not so important to you and you only want to come around and if the price and itinerary are very good, you could consider AIDA.

Edited by swoonx

We would never sail on a cruise-line such as Aida were 99% of people comes from Germany / german-speaking countries, or any other country for that matter.

What really amazes me is the peculiar mentality of many people who just want things done the way they do in their own country, who want a crew from their country or at least 100% fluent in their own language, who want to taste the same food of their own country, the same drinks etc. You can also see this in this forum with the MSC Divina.

In Mallorca, it's common that many hotel areas belong to a specific nationality. Nowadays people spread out more, but you have to take into account that when European mass tourism was invented in Mallorca in the late 50s and 60s the Germans and English people had to be subtly kept apart. Still today there are hundreds of tour-operator run German hotels, English hotels, even French and Nordic. It is just the way it is.

We happen to live and work in an area with many German, English and Scandinavian residents. Some of them have been living here for decades and do not even speak Spanish. I have many German customers at my office who just speak to me in German. Sometimes if they speak good enough English I switch to it since I'm much more confident than in German, but they don't like that! They just want me to be German and to think like a German! I prefer them to English customers, I must say :eek:

And at the end of the day it's good for me since I give this added value and I can be better at my job (and keeping it!), but it is so awkward sometimes when you have to use a technical term and the right word never comes out.

I would like Aida and Tui Cruises to be more like MSC or Costa, they are Italian themed but they gladly accept anyone. And I believe this would be better for Germans as well, they are the first who pay a premium just to be in a German cruise!

Of course if Aida was like MSC we would also benefit from affordable cruises out of Mallorca, but I don't see that in the near future.

Completely agree with your. Knew point Elmartellma.

In addition to Costa and Aida, do Carnival not also own Iberocrucero? Is this the same model as Aida except for Spanish speaking people? Wouldn't mind that as I like the Spanish way of life and food. Speak enough Spanish to get by, but then if it is for Spanish people who only want to be with Spanish people, then I dare say I'd not be very welcome!

Never say never, but I would not like to sail on a full Spanish ship! Put 10 Spanish people in a room and it gets LOUD. Put 2.000 people on a cruise an it gets VERY LOUD. Add some Spanish children in there and it gets OUT OF THIS WORLD LOUD.

Also the people from Mallorca and the other Balearic islands are quite different to other Spanish people from the mainland and the Canaries. Spain is way more diverse than what people think.

Serving the spanish market you have Iberocruceros (Carnival) and Pullmantur (Royal Caribbean). They both use old ships from their mother companies. That can never be a good sign. At least the Aida (Carnival) and Mein Schiff / TUI cruises (TUI + Royal Caribbean) ships are brand new, not some second hand leftover.

By the way, Tui Cruises new Mein Schiff 3 looks stunning. And they offer traditional service with restaurants and everything. I am subscribed to the Tui Cruises youtube channel. It's very good, and it helps me practice German.

All great points.

I wonder whether those who cruise with Aida do that because they only want to be with other German speakers (which would indicate that they are probably not well travelled, did not enjoy the best education and grew up in a time when less emphasis was placed on learning other languages) or whether they book it becaus it has been the default line for many, that is booked without too much thought. The latter would definitely be more tolerable.

We've in the past never considered Aida, because prices used to be twice of what they were on MSC. Recently, Aida is starting to offer lower prices and in our case even undercutting MSC.

I'm wondering if this means that less and less people are willing to pay a price premium for this more German experience. We would certainly see the lack of an international experience as a negative, although not as a total deal breaker.

The route is defnitely very attractive, timing perfect and the price is great. On the other hand, we are concerned about the type of people that this line might attract and would not look forward to spending two weeks with a crowd similar to what one might find in places such as Arenal.

Edited by Alex71

By the way, Tui Cruises new Mein Schiff 3 looks stunning. And they offer traditional service with restaurants and everything. I am subscribed to the Tui Cruises youtube channel. It's very good, and it helps me practice German.

I agree on the Mein Schiff 3. Looks fantastic and very stylish. Unfortunately, Tui Cruises are very expensive. They are all inclusive, but we don't drink enough to get our money's worth.

I am reading that they are looking to expand to the English speaking market.

All great points.

I wonder whether those who cruise with Aida do that because they only want to be with other German speakers (which would indicate that they are probably not well travelled, did not enjoy the best education and grew up in a time when less emphasis was placed on learning other languages) or whether they book it becaus it has been the default line for many, that is booked without too much thought. The latter would definitely be more tolerable.

I did many cruises with AIDA. I did NOT choose AIDA because I only want to be with Germans (most crew members are non-Germans, btw). My reasons were different each time I booked AIDA. A few examples:

- travelling with my 85+ y.o. grandmother who doesn´t speak foreign languages and I also felt safer to have German speaking doc just in case

- travelling with my little niece/nephew/goddaughter who I want to clearly understand the crew members in the kids area for safety reasons

- with their many ships they have a great variety of itineraries to choose from

- living in Northern Germany gives me 3 opportunities to start an AIDA cruise with only 1 hour train ride instead of having to take a flight (saves money and time)

- great deals if you travel with kids or 4 people in a cabin so I can afford to do more cruises

- short cruises 3-5 days for a quick getaway between "real" holidays

- I LOVE their buffets, they are great in quality and variety. But for a small surcharge you can also dine in special restaurants with service at the table

- I LOVE their wellness area which is very different in style and also the rules you have to follow from international ships

- I like the design of the ships. The kissing mouth has become quite a popular label in art galleries even apart from the ships

- AIDA is a sponsor to many scientific and cultural projects in Northern Germany and if I can help them to continue with that by having fun on a cruise I do so

- doing lots of travelling to other countries I sometimes just need a break from foreign languages which doesn´t mean that I don´t speak English with any crew member who might feel better with English instead of German

- to everybody who expects only German passengers: NO. 80-95% are Germans/Austrians/Swiss but there are lots of people from other countries on board. Last time I was on one of their ships the entertainment manager welcomed people from more than 12 countries. (As a passenger you should unterstand some German as only the safety anouncements are in Engish, too.)

I do not cruise on AIDA only but AIDA is always a company I look at when booking a new cruise.

Edited by AntjeG

I agree on the Mein Schiff 3. Looks fantastic and very stylish. Unfortunately, Tui Cruises are very expensive. They are all inclusive, but we don't drink enough to get our money's worth.

I am reading that they are looking to expand to the English speaking market.

Mein Schiff/TUI Cruises is great and I am looking forward to the new ship. But, Alex, I think it will be a while until they really expand to the English market. They are fully booked from the German market most of the time at quite high prices so in the moment I think they don´t have a reason to look for new customers.

All great points.

The route is defnitely very attractive, timing perfect and the price is great. On the other hand, we are concerned about the type of people that this line might attract and would not look forward to spending two weeks with a crowd similar to what one might find in places such as Arenal.

People like in Arenal you can sometimes find on their 3-5 day cruises in the Med but I never experienced rude and/or drunken people on my many cruises with AIDA. In the German school holidays some 500+ kids and their families are on the ships so the low prices attract families with kids and also young people as they do offer a youth discount up to 24 years. Of course (as in every other cruise line or hotel) there are always some people who don´t know how to behave at a buffet. Plus, people tend to go to the restaurants exactly at the beginning of the restaurant´s opening time. DON´T queue at the restaurant´s door 15 min prior to opening and then battle at the buffet! Go 10-15 min after opening and you will have a relaxed meal most of the time. And don´t try to find a table right at the entrance. I never understand why people would want to sit right at the restaurant´s door instead of the very (mostly empty) back with a window...

As AIDA serves so many interests (great for kids, party lovers, wellness fans....) you often find whole families from kids up to grandparents on the ship.

Another thing:

I know people who spent an amount of money for their AIDA cruise which I would consider spending on a brand-new car. AIDA is not only cheap and mass-market. Their suites and Wellness-cabins are very very expensive.

I did many cruises with AIDA. I did NOT choose AIDA because I only want to be with Germans (most crew members are non-Germans, btw). My reasons were different each time I booked AIDA. A few examples:

- travelling with my 85+ y.o. grandmother who doesn´t speak foreign languages and I also felt safer to have German speaking doc just in case

- travelling with my little niece/nephew/goddaughter who I want to clearly understand the crew members in the kids area for safety reasons

- with their many ships they have a great variety of itineraries to choose from

- living in Northern Germany gives me 3 opportunities to start an AIDA cruise with only 1 hour train ride instead of having to take a flight (saves money and time)

- great deals if you travel with kids or 4 people in a cabin so I can afford to do more cruises

- short cruises 3-5 days for a quick getaway between "real" holidays

- I LOVE their buffets, they are great in quality and variety. But for a small surcharge you can also dine in special restaurants with service at the table

- I LOVE their wellness area which is very different in style and also the rules you have to follow from international ships

- I like the design of the ships. The kissing mouth has become quite a popular label in art galleries even apart from the ships

- AIDA is a sponsor to many scientific and cultural projects in Northern Germany and if I can help them to continue with that by having fun on a cruise I do so

- doing lots of travelling to other countries I sometimes just need a break from foreign languages which doesn´t mean that I don´t speak English with any crew member who might feel better with English instead of German

- to everybody who expects only German passengers: NO. 80-95% are Germans/Austrians/Swiss but there are lots of people from other countries on board. Last time I was on one of their ships the entertainment manager welcomed people from more than 12 countries. (As a passenger you should unterstand some German as only the safety anouncements are in Engish, too.)

I do not cruise on AIDA only but AIDA is always a company I look at when booking a new cruise.

Great insights, Antje, much appreciated.

Have you taken any of the longer cruises? I'm looking at the AIDA Sol from Hamburg to Mallorca via Dover, Le Havre, Santander, Ferrol, Lisbon, Cádiz, Tanger and Barcelona.

great itinerary - this one is on my wishlist for the years to come. I did 2 10 nights cruises (Montréal to N.Y. and Canary Islands with Spain). The others were either 3-5 day or exactly one week. If you mix some of my itineraries you get most of your ports.

Hamburg:

great start - be sure to arrive 1-2 days pre-cruise to do city sightseeing. Hamburg has 2 cruise terminals. Sail away from Hamburg down Elbe river is a great thing you should not miss. Even more if you start at Hafencity instead of Altona.

Dover:

approaching Dover in the morning light with a view on the white cliffs was one of the highlights of my 1 week itinerary in the North Sea! In my opinion it is better not to go to London from Dover for shore excursion (you spend too much time in a bus). We went to Canterbury by public bus which was great!

Le Havre:

Don´t go to Paris (even more time in a bus). We did the tour to Monet´s garden and the city of Rouen which was perfect. Normandy has many more great options to choose from.

Haven´t been to Santander and Ferrol.

Lisbon is a great city, have been there twice. Easy to do sightseeing on your own.

Cadiz is very beautiful, too. No need to book guided tours there, all major sights within walking distance.

Tanger:

In my opinion the city of Tanger is ugly but they offer some nice itineraries for guided tours to the area from there.

Barcelona is a highlight again. Easy to do on your own.

I did some AIDA cruise reviews for a German cruise website. If you google my screen name together with "Reisebericht AIDA" and the name of one of the ports you are interested in you may find them. The reviews are in German. Have been on AIDAsol 2 times in 2013 (Canary Islands and Norway). Great ship with a very very good crew. Google ports such as Bergen, Eidfjord or Lanzarote, Madeira, Tenerife for the German review.

Edited by AntjeG

great itinerary - this one is on my wishlist for the years to come. I did 2 10 nights cruises (Montréal to N.Y. and Canary Islands with Spain). The others were either 3-5 day or exactly one week. If you mix some of my itineraries you get most of your ports.

Hamburg:

great start - be sure to arrive 1-2 days pre-cruise to do city sightseeing. Hamburg has 2 cruise terminals. Sail away from Hamburg down Elbe river is a great thing you should not miss. Even more if you start at Hafencity instead of Altona.

Dover:

approaching Dover in the morning light with a view on the white cliffs was one of the highlights of my 1 week itinerary in the North Sea! In my opinion it is better not to go to London from Dover for shore excursion (you spend too much time in a bus). We went to Canterbury by public bus which was great!

Le Havre:

Don´t go to Paris (even more time in a bus). We did the tour to Monet´s garden and the city of Rouen which was perfect. Normandy has many more great options to choose from.

Haven´t been to Santander and Ferrol.

Lisbon is a great city, have been there twice. Easy to do sightseeing on your own.

Cadiz is very beautiful, too. No need to book guided tours there, all major sights within walking distance.

Tanger:

In my opinion the city of Tanger is ugly but they offer some nice itineraries for guided tours to the area from there.

Barcelona is a highlight again. Easy to do on your own.

I did some AIDA cruise reviews for a German cruise website. If you google my screen name together with "Reisebericht AIDA" and the name of one of the ports you are interested in you may find them. The reviews are in German. Have been on AIDAsol 2 times in 2013 (Canary Islands and Norway). Great ship with a very very good crew. Google ports such as Bergen, Eidfjord or Lanzarote, Madeira, Tenerife for the German review.

Thanks again. I'll google your reviews.

We would be very much looking forward to sailing out of Hamburg especially out of the HafenCity terminal and then past the entire city. Since the cruise leaves on Saturday and Friday is the last day of school for our kids, we would unfortunately only manage one night there. We spent long weekends in Hamburg in the past and really liked it.

Great advice on Dover and Le Havre. We can drive to Paris in four hours and fly to London for less than the cost of an excursion, so will stay near the ports and look into Canterbury and Rouen.

I was at a convention in Lisbon a few years ago, but did not have enough time to explore, so would definitely look forward to coming back and having a full day there.

We did the Canada and New England itenerary on HAL a few years ago, but it was just not our line, so I'm glad you enjoyed it more on AIDA.

I have to say that I found our last MSC cruise slightly disappointing. It seems they cut back on the food quality and service and at the at the same time raised their prices. Threfore, exploring alternatives is appealing.

I´ve never been on MSC but some reviews in the forum I did the AIDA reviews for give mixed experiences. Reading the reviews I get the impression that MSC is sometimes crowded (that happens on AIDA, too) and you only get good service if you book the expensive Yacht Club cabins. A review of a short cruise on MSC Lirica with no service at all and rude crew seemed to be the top of desaster. But as I said that´s only what I know out of reviews. Have never been on MSC.

Some people complain about cut backs in food quality on AIDA, too. As food is always linked to personal taste, opinions are different here. I think that AIDA has very good food quality. And the buffets are the best I ever had (on land and sea) not only for the variety but also for the decoration and the style of the restaurants. Don´t think buffet means no table clothes and the atmosphere of your lunch at work. On some cruise lines buffets are like that but not on AIDA as their main dining experience is buffet.

What I like with AIDA, too, is how they make every sail away from every port special. They have a special music they play on that occasion. Whereever you are on board: if you hear that music you know it´s sail away time. TUI has that, too. Don´t know of any other cruise line besides these 2 who do that.

Plus, I am always impressed with the laser shows they run the first and last night. Really great!

Don´t think buffet means no table clothes and the atmosphere of your lunch at work. On some cruise lines buffets are like that but not on AIDA as their main dining experience is buffet.

Come on ;) All reviews I read are saying that it's very chaotic. And of cause it's chaotic if you have no fixed table and everyone is running around and is looking for a free table. And isn't it true that many people sit there for a long time because of the free drinks and it's hard to find a free table?!

But ok, I also read that families with kids can eat before all other passengers. For them it's good, but all other passengers probably will never see a perfect arranged buffet...

I just don't like that dining concept.

Yes, it tends to be chaotic if

- everybody wants to eat exactly at 6 P.M.

- everybody wants to eat at the same restaurant

- everybody wants to sit right behind the entrance

- 2 or 4 people want to sit at a table with 6-8 seats alone

- people fill their plate first and then walk around in search for a seat

- at the lobster station the last evening in the first 30 minutes or so

People sometimes sit in the restaurant for a longer time. So what? On other companies I cruised with I was served at the table and all the meals took 90-120 min. With AIDA you blame people for enjoying their meals for 90 minutes instead 45 minutes? Plus, there is one restaurant that closes after 90 minutes and re-opens after a 30 minutes break for another 90 minutes. No chance to sit there all evening.

Families with kids have the right to go to the restaurant 30 minutes prior to normal opening only during school holidays and only in one restaurant. If your family wants to try another restaurant you have to go within the normal opening time.

If you show up 10-15 min after the restaurant has opened the doors, have a seat at the back window, relax with a glass of wine and then - when all the people who have been queuing there for half an hour sit at their tables eating - go to the buffet you are fine.

And don´t tell me that on other cruise lines buffet areas are never crowded and never have some passengers who don´t know how to behave.

Everbody has different wishes for their holidays. I prefer not to have to show up at a fixed time at a fixed table. If you don´t like buffet AIDA should not be your company of choice, I agree with that.

Edited by AntjeG

There is always going to be a large degree of chaos to buffets. It is a free-for-all with everytone indulging their own particular weaknesses and without any sync. I love the service of an MDR. I would rather not eat but have the service :)....

"Good evening, sir!"

"Good evening!"

"Your menu."

"Thank you."

"Would you like anything to drink?"

"No, that's fine, thank you"

"Are you ready to order?"

"Yes. Nothing for me thank you"

"Thank you, sir"

"Did you enjoy your meal?"

"Yes, wonderful, thank you very much. So much more civilised than the buffet!"

"Thank you sir. Good night"

"Good night, see you tomorrow".

People sometimes sit in the restaurant for a longer time. So what? On other companies I cruised with I was served at the table and all the meals took 90-120 min. With AIDA you blame people for enjoying their meals for 90 minutes instead 45 minutes? Plus, there is one restaurant that closes after 90 minutes and re-opens after a 30 minutes break for another 90 minutes. No chance to sit there all evening.

Of cause your right, but if you have a fixed dining time with a fixed table, everyone will come at the same time without searching. That's really relaxed. Even if you have a flexible dining with service, someone will welcome you and show you your table. That's much better than walking around and searching - you save time and you don't disturb others that much. But I know, some Germans never visited restaurants with such a service. (I'm not talking of you.)

Everbody has different wishes for their holidays. I prefer not to have to show up at a fixed time at a fixed table. If you don´t like buffet AIDA should not be your company of choice, I agree with that.

Your right again and if you like AIDA, you probably don't like other cruise lines.

While my answers are maybe too negative, your description of the buffets are maybe too positive ;) It's always good to have different input.

No, I like different cruise lines. Depends on whom I am travelling with, what itinerary and so on. I also like being served at the table but not always. So best thing would be - as we do here on CC - to give information and everybody can choose what they like best.

Edited by AntjeG

No, I like different cruise lines. Depends on whom I am travelling with, what itinerary and so on. I also like being served at the table but not always. So best thing would be - as we do here on CC - to give information and everybody can choose what they like best.

Yep, maybe we'll just give it a try and decide for ourselves.

We've seen buffets at upscale resorts, that had enough of everything, no lines, waiters that welcomed us and led us to available tables, remembered our preferred drink oders and carried around our baby daughter while we were eating. Whether the Aida experience will be close to that of course remains to be seen.

In principle, we like the concept of fixed tables and MDR service at least for one meal per day, so that we can all sit down togeter and eat at the same time. With buffets, it's often a situation that someone will get up to get something while the others will have to hold the table.