Burnie,Tassie. What to do for the day ?

Johhno

Oh, if you are hiring a car, book early. I suggest you organise a party via your CC roll call unless you want to travel by yourselves :).

Tassie often runs out of hire cars at peak times. ie I've flown in on school holidays & tried 4x car hire companies at airport before one had a vehicle available! ;)

You can hire a car is first start

Drive to Stanley and go to the nut

Drive to Sheffield and see all the murals there

There is a devil park for the tassie Devils near Sheffield also about twenty minutes away

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did that some years ago. The murals are quite nice. People just used to sail through town on the way to the park until someone had the bright idea to have the murals painted.

IMG_5499.jpg.18bace088bca6fa16ffdd9e83c0ed0b5.jpg

Hi John

I live in this part of Tassie ,best option if you want to get around is to rent a car ,the traffic is very light and the city itself is easy to navigate and park in ,I would recommend driving along the coat in a westerly direction .Highlights are Table Cape ,Boat Harbour ,Sisters Beach Stanley If you dont feel like driving Burnie itself is right on the sea and the city centre is an easy walk from the port.Burnie has some good sights like the Whiskey distillary ,makers centre etc.

Hi John

I live in this part of Tassie ,best option if you want to get around is to rent a car ,the traffic is very light and the city itself is easy to navigate and park in ,I would recommend driving along the coat in a westerly direction .Highlights are Table Cape ,Boat Harbour ,Sisters Beach Stanley If you dont feel like driving Burnie itself is right on the sea and the city centre is an easy walk from the port.Burnie has some good sights like the Whiskey distillary ,makers centre etc.

Greeno, what's the nice fish n chip cafe on the waters edge called? Definitely a pretty lace for lunch??! :)

Edited by Cruise_me_Crazy

We are looking forward to a stop at Burnie next year. Good question and tips, thanks.

Where does the ship dock please? I am guessing the main port area by the map.

burnieportarea.jpg

Yes it does. Usually backs into the bottom berth. This is a working port, viz, Picton, so you must take the free shuttle into town and back. They are well organised and drop you at the Visitor Info centre towards Parklands on the foreshore. Spend some time at the Visitor Centre as it has some nice local info , a coffee shop and hand crafted souvenirs.

Hugh

When we visit in December, we will check out the Makers market and the distillery in Burnie itself, we also have a minivan booked for a drive to the Nut at Stanley (1 hour drive from Burnie) and then down to Penguin (1/2 hour from Burnie).:D

If you are on a cruise, I think you might be pushin' it in that time. You need to allow 2 hrs for the Nut plus sightseeing plus lunch, then back to Penguin.:eek: And dont forget, shuttle to and from ship.

We visited the historic convict built Highfield homestead in the area from where many of the panoramic photos of the Nut are taken.

Also took the cable car to the top of the Nut.

Great fish n chips restaurant at the end of the road in Stanley above the fish market.

Tip. The hire car places have long lines, so get there early.

Hugh

Edited by cassamanda

If you are on a cruise, I think you might be pushin' it in that time. You need to allow 2 hrs for the Nut plus sightseeing plus lunch, then back to Penguin.:eek: And dont forget, shuttle to and from ship.

We visited the historic convict built Highfield homestead in the area from where many of the panoramic photos of the Nut are taken.

Also took the cable car to the top of the Nut.

Great fish n chips restaurant at the end of the road in Stanley above the fish market.

Tip. The hire car places have long lines, so get there early.

Hugh

Thanks, we aim to be flexible and if something takes our fancy then we will change plans quite easily.:D