No more buffet for P&O Australia!

From Cruise Passenger: http://cruisepassenger.com.au/2014/09/pos-australian-revolution-features-ships-itineraries-buffet/

P&O, Australia’s first locally-based cruise line, has announced dramatic changes, including new livery, new on board amenities and destinations – and the end of the the buffet bar.

The moves to woo the “contemporary Australian” will dramatically alter the perception of the P&O brand in a bold bid to take the lead as the cruise industry heads for one million passengers, possibly as early as next year.

Two new ships and refits of the Dawn and the Jewel will see a revolution in domestic cruising, targeting the 30-55 year old mainly female traveller. Rebranding as “Like No Place on Earth”, the existing white-hulled vessels will sport a navy stripe and the new slogan across the stern.

In November, next year, all five P&O ships will sail into Sydney Harbour in a spectacular display expected to attract tens of thousands of onlookers.

New domestic and international destinations, including Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and PNG, will be served with 60 per cent more capacity as two new ships, the Pacific Eden and Pacific Aria join the fleet next year.

According to Tammy Marshall, senior vice president, the move represents the biggest investment in P&O’s history. Domestic destinations will grow, short cruises of two or more days and events like the Melbourne Cup, the tennis open and food festivals will feature.

The end of the buffet tray and queue aboard P&O ships is almost certain to spark debate, as plates piled high with food has been a cruise ship tradition. But according to P&O research, today’s generation is more interested in quality food and healthy eating.

So instead of the buffet bar, The Pantry will bring a more contemporary face to dining, offering individual spaces for different foods. There will be new food venues, too, including The Dragon Lady, serving Asian fusion, an Italian restaurant Angelo’s, named after photographer Angelo Frontoni, and offering traditional comfort food Open Kitchen features a culinary school as well as dining, while a dedicated Chef’s Table dining area will be available.

Salt Grill by Luke Mangan – already featured on Pacific Jewel, Pacific Pearl and Pacific Dawn – will be served with a twist on Pacific Aria and Pacific Eden, with the inclusion of Salt Grill Bar, offering Luke Mangan cocktails. A new Cellar Door will provide a boutique experience, with an opportunity to taste the wines on-board and pre-order for dinner.

“The Australian cruise tourist is young, savvy, middle class and worldly. They don’t want a buffet or a chicken schnitzel. They want more,” said Ms Marshall.

Ken Flavell, P&O’s hotel product development director, revealed the new looks in a series of slides. “No more buffets – no need to carry your tray around with you. You’ll go to your own separate venue within that space. They’ll be seafood, dim sim, a deli – you’ll be able to go to each of those venues and then leave.”

There will also be wine classes, whisky tasting, rum tasting, and coffee appreciation classes. New shows with live music and DJs.......Read more....

Edited by Kiwi_cruiser

It's certainly a courageous move.... Will be very interesting to see how it works.

They seem to be trying to aim for a higher market and domestic cruises. Clearing the bottom end "fun ship" market for Carnival.

Hope it goes well.

Upon reading the title of this thread, my first reaction was :eek:

However, having read the entire article: http://cruisepassenger.com.au/2014/09/pos-australian-revolution-features-ships-itineraries-buffet/ maybe it might work.

...A survey of 2,000 Australians showed one third were considering cruise and identified an opportunity in those aged 30-55, which the changes were designed to attract while [b]keeping P&O’s traditional passengers...[/b]

They've obviously done their market research but I how many of their existing customers are going to be driven away, perhaps to Carnival :confused: (who are, correct me if I'm wrong, owned by the same parent company). I guess with all the competition for market share they need to do something to attract new passengers and surely this will mark them out as different from the other lines.

IMHO, P&O has a (perhaps unfair) reputation as a budget/bogan/booze cruise line and it's going to take a lot to change this perception in the minds of the Australian cruising public. Then again, perhaps I'm just a cruise snob. :rolleyes: I must admit that I've never set foot on a P&O ship.

...Ms Marshall pledged no price changes to the cruise passengers, though there could be some [b]supplementary charges.[/b] “We’re not going to change the base price, but there is an opportunity for the customer to customise what they want.”

There it is, the devil's in the detail! One of the many things that attracts me is the (semi-) all inclusive nature of cruising. It seems what they're basically saying is, "We're taking away the buffet and will now be charging you extra if you want to eat."

Time will tell whether this bold move pays off or spells the demise of P&O Australia.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

When I heard about this, I was a bit sceptical of how it would work as they said everyone would be individually served. When you see a noro lockdown, you know that slows things down and dampens the experience for everyone. The response was they would get more staff!?

But it sounds like they could be going more like the new Celebrity route after they got rid of trays, and just have what they call stations. Still serve yourself though.

There are some other changes in the wings... definitely some big PR changes.

I see quite a few comments on the buffet here on CC, but when I go to the buffet it seems to be pretty well attended! They didn't say those food areas would be an extra charge, so it will be interesting to see how many included food options there end up being, and how much you might have to budget for specialty dining.

Sounds like they are moving away from the family market with those statements, and with the amount of ships cruising out of Aus, there needs to be some points of difference.

Take more than that to lure me back to P&O Australia. Last cruise with them was just over 3 years ago, and it had been so stripped back it was dreadful so I swore never again, like never again for Norwegian and from what I hear Carnival is just as bad. Will stick with Princess and Holland America, but am trying Celebrity twice soon.

It's not a new concept. Costa haven been doing it for a couple of years at least. When we cruised in 2011 - no buffet at dinner. All dining room - or a speciality restaurant - which you paid for. Free pizza (well it is Italian :p) Buffets have never been under subscribed on any ship we've been on - always busy. Each to their own - we all have different preferences - but now choices get limited. Oh well it will be interesting. I like choices - my choices - I am paying for 'em :rolleyes:

The end of the buffet tray and queue aboard P&O ships is almost certain to spark debate, as plates piled high with food has been a cruise ship tradition.

They don’t want a buffet or a chicken schnitzel. They want more,” said Ms Marshall.

I wonder when Ms Marshall last went in a buffet on a cruise ship - healthy choices are in abundance - and the piled high plates are a rarity. IMHO

Having said that - I have only had a 3 day cruise on P&O - but I was looking at some of their cruises - I'll not bother now. ;):D

Edited by dizzy1948

Interesting concept and if executed well it could be a point of difference. What worried me though was the hint that they were moving away from an all inclusive style of holiday towards supplementary charges. For me the true value and reason I take a cruise holiday is that I don't need to budget for anything else (other than drinks).

Will be keen to see if these options in "the pantry" are all inclusive or if they expect you to pay for a lot of it.

One other thing, did anyone else notice that there is no mention of Pacific Pearl getting the upgrades :eek:, perhaps the Pearl is being retired. I would be very disappointed by this move as the Pearl is the biggest asset to the P&O fleet in my opinion and a far better ship than the Jewel. They should consider retiring the Jewel I think! :rolleyes:

The resort concept on the top deck looks great though!

P&O need to do something though I agree, there is too much competition in the industry to keep offering what they were offering, when others were doing it better for the same fare. I'm pleased that it isn't being aimed at the elderly like most cruise lines out there and hope this translates to everything including activities, shows, music onboard etc. There are only so many broadway 50's/60's/70's themed shows one can watch before they come to heavily dislike them :p

Seems like Carnival Australia have finally realised that cruising has so much potential for growth if they open it up to new markets other than the elderly and families.

The elderly can still have Holland and Princess! :cool:

I applaud P&O for trying something different. Time and time again, you see people on here complain about P&O, and it seems with the new additions to their fleet, they're trying hard to carve out a new spot for themselves here in Australia. Their previous (well, current) product is similar to what Carnival offer, and Carnival do it well, so it makes sense for P&O to evolve to something a little more sophisticated. P&O are obviously serious about the move. Pacific Dawn's Plantation Restaurant (the buffet) was only just redone in her last dry dock. I'd be interested in trying out the new products once they've been incorporated, just to see the difference.

The only problem with the line is that they will always operate hand-me-down ships that have seen their better days with other lines. Unfortunately P&O has this reputation and is not seen as quality compared to the other fantastic ships we see visiting our shores. It is for that reason P&O Australia will never be a company that can compete with the likes of Celebrity and Royal Caribbean let alone the other lines like Princess and the ones affiliated with Carnival.

Each line has a niche, and tries not to compete with others, even though the differences overall are fewer and the similarities.

P&O still get a lot of custom here, so they're just trying to evolve their appeal and stay front of mind. These are but some of the changes they are looking at to support that.

Well, we do like the buffet for lunch because we can choose to eat healthily with salads and grilled meat/fish. That way we don't put on weight. I hope they have a salad bar in the new layout because there hasn't been much of a choice for salads in the restaurant.

Time will tell if it is a winner or not. Personally, I only use the buffet when the MDR is closed.

I wonder if "the pantry" is the posh terminology for "the buffet?" I re read the blurb - and I am going to withdraw the negativity in my previous post - and look at it all with an open mind :p After all, it's a huge concept, and one of the main things in life that is constant - is change.;) I shall watch with interest. :D

Looking at the video clip - the interior, IMHO, has a wow factor. :)

Edited by dizzy1948

I wonder if "the pantry" is the posh terminology for "the buffet?" I re read the blurb - and I am going to withdraw the negativity in my previous post - and look at it all with an open mind :p After all, it's a huge concept, and one of the main things in life that is constant - is change.;) I shall watch with interest. :D

Looking at the video clip - the interior, IMHO, has a wow factor. :)

The way I read it is that they are not getting rid of the buffet , they are renaming it , and will lay it out so that there are serving stations that eliminate queues and trays. Much more civilized.

An interesting concept - quite brave as many/most people are "stuck in the muds". Just look at how many caravenners go to the same caravan park at Christmas - year in and year out!!! :)

I have gotten less and less keen on buffets over the past few years -- to the point where I was starting to refuse to go to them (my wife is generally keener than me) . So - I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the buffet on Carnival Spirit on a recent short 8 day cruise. It's still a buffet - and not all that well laid out either -- but the food was quite good!.

I look forward to trying out P&O's new concept sometime in the future. I have always enjoyed P&O AUS ships - as I have enjoyed all other cruiselines and cruiseships we have been on - whether they be old or new!! As far as I am concerned - all cruiseships are basically the same - except that they are all different, a bit like women really!!!

My money is on these options costing extra.:p

How much? As a guide, Salt restaurant costs $49 pp for dinner. :eek:

The Dragon Lady,

Italian restaurant Angelo’s,

Open Kitchen,

Chef’s Table,

Cellar Door tastings,

Seafood,

Wine classes,

Whisky tasting,

Rum tasting,

Coffee appreciation classes,

Cabanas and hammocks, and

Pillow concierge.

Ms Marshall stated: “We’re not going to change the base price, but there is an opportunity for the customer to customise what they want.” Double speak for "an opportunity for P&O to increase revenue"

I suggest P&O have a look at providing a Tattoo Parlor and a Body Jewelery outlet as a means of raising extra revenue.;):p

The way I read it is that they are not getting rid of the buffet , they are renaming it , and will lay it out so that there are serving stations that eliminate queues and trays. Much more civilized.

You still have to queue at the serving stations.

You just do it all on a plate, instead of on a tray. Less food you can carry at once. Celebrity introduced it to cut food waste.