best free walking tour in Venice?

poss

The several other times we've visited Venice, we've wandered on our own, and of course that's fun. For our upcoming trip, we'd like to do a short guided tour, and hopefully see some things we've not happened upon in the past. Unfortunately our walking capacity is only about 2 hours now, so we hope we can find a couple of short tours.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

You seem like you are comfortable walking around on your own. What I would suggest is to pick up the Rick Steves guide to Venice. He has some walks laid out depending on time. You could "custom" tailor it to what you could do in your time. He also has some audio casts for the walks.

Agree with Slidergirl. Get the Rick Steves book which has several detailed walking tours. Once you get to Venice, buy yourself a Vaporetto Pass (24, 48 or 72 hours....whatever works for your visit) and take advantage of the vaporettos to both limit your walking distance...and give you a place to sit as you move from one place to another. Your 2 hour walking limitation is not a big deal if you are doing your own "thing" and not trying to keep up with a group. When on your own, when you get a little tried, you simply stop at a nearby cafe and have a drink, cappuccino, snack, etc. Then you get back up and explore some more. Between using frequent cafe stops, vaporettos, and your guide book you should be able to have a great time. One problem with being a part of a tour group is that you must go at the pace of the group...which is not always the pace that works for you.

Hank

You could try to find a private walking tour guide and then you would not need to worry about keeping up. I agree that walking Venice on your own is also a good choice. However, I have booked walking guides in other cities and was never disappointed. Always experienced something I would have never found on my own. Unfortunately I have not booked such a tour in Venice and thus cannot recommend one. Good luck....!