1st Time going to Belize what to do ?

Crusin Hogs

My favorite thing to do in Belize is to sit on the pier drinking Belikin beer. It is SO good.

We've visited some ruins there. I have twice done a wonderful Carnival excursion that included a tour of the city and the countryside by bus. Depending on weather guests are allowed to climb the ruins. It is a mystical experience.

I have read that there are amazing snorkeling opportunities there.

We booked a private excursion through Lamanai Belize Tours to the Lamanai ruins, and it was fantastic. The ruins are quite a way from the port, involving about an hour van ride as well as a 45 minute boat ride (each way). It's an all-day excursion but well worth it, in our opinion. Our tour group was very small, and we had plenty of time at the ruins. Our guide did an excellent job giving us information about the ruins and also narrating on the van and boat rides. It's an all-day excursion but well worth it, in our opinion. The tour also included an authentic Belizean lunch homemade by the tour company's owners' family.

I believe Carnival also offers a tour to Lamanai if you are more comfortable with ship excursion than private ones.

We did cave tubing our first time. I was very apprehensive, but I loved it! We went with Xstream Cave Tubing: https://belizecruiseexcursions.com/excursion/belize-x-stream-cave-tubing/ and had a blast. They took fewer people than the ship's excursions and cost less. Now this was about 20 years ago, but they are still in business.

We have also done the Altun Ha River and Mayan Ruins tour. Can't remember who we booked that with, but it was a river ride, lunch, then to the ruins. I think X-Stream also does this tour without the river ride.

Belize is a great place to get off the ship and away from the immediate port area. It sits on the world's second largest reef, so snorkeling is fantastic in many different spots like Caye Caulker, San Pedro (Ambergris Cay), and many closer sites.

Cave tubing is a popular activity, and if your more athletic or adventuresome, rappelling and zip lining tours can be had.

The long trips to the Mayan ruins of Xanantunich and Lamanai are worth it,. Altun Ha while closer, is one of my least favorite sites. Too sloppily patched up and restored and quite small, IMO. The River Wallace boat ride from there can be fun though.

Look at the Port of Call threads on cruise critic for more specific ideas.

Three weeks ago we did the cave tubing. Great day. We usually go independent but this time went through Carnival and had an excellent experience. Highly recommend. This comes from someone who said I would never do a Carnival excursion again. They definitely changed my mind.

Belize is a great port away from where you dock. I would recommend visiting one of the awesome Mayan Ruin sites or cave tubing. We used cave tubing.bz for our trip and they were awesome guides.

Has anyone one in this thread gone on the river tubing excursion in Ocho Rios? I'm also a first timer to Belize and thinking of booking a cave tubing trip but curious to know if it's similar to what we did in Jamaica.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Three weeks ago we did the cave tubing. Great day. We usually go independent but this time went through Carnival and had an excellent experience. Highly recommend. This comes from someone who said I would never do a Carnival excursion again. They definitely changed my mind.

Curious which exact excursion you did? Also looking into Cave Tubing through the ship since it's a tender port and trying to decide to include lunch or not. Any info. Would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A lot of people go cave tubing here. It's kind of a unique experience to Belize and highly suggested by many. We have done it twice. If you are interested, I have 2 reviews in my signature line of our days we spent with .bz cavetubing and it was awesome. (There's pictures included).

Other than that, we have swam with the sharks and stingrays and also went to the beautiful beach at Goffs Caye and also Starfish island.