Updated Local Dominica News Article on Summit Incident

FSUNole

Dominica News Online has the following updated article which has a few more facts:

http://dominicanewsonline.com/news/all-news/general/udpate-gay-cruise-ship-docks-in-dominica-two-passengers-arrested-for-buggery-indecent-exposure/

The comments from the locals are the best part:

"Someone conspired with them to let them into the country. They have been run away by many, many countries.

We have been setup by both the ship, ministry of tourism and the bogarer group itself (well guess i should not use the word bogarer so i will soften it and use ‘gay’ instead). We have been set up."

"Who cares what people do in their private lives?????? How about those in DA who engage in that behavior even when they have wives at home?"

BTW, not sure why the original article was locked. There was nothing more than appropriate discussion. I was not offended by what was said by anyone.

I took a cruise on the Summit myself a bit over a year ago. I agree with some of the comments I read in the link saying that cruise passengers should try to be courteous and respect local mores. There's something to be said about behaving yourself when ashore.

Shipboard is a different matter. This incident is a powerful for drawing the blinds, whatever one's gender or sexual preferences. I wonder how much of an eyeful the Dominican Snoopy Sam would have gotten if the sporting couple had drawn the curtains before getting frisky?

Not sure if someones right to have sex on public display, IF that is indeed what happened, supercedes my rights not to have to view it. When on Nevis several years ago we were told that we could be arrested for cursing on the golf course so no one cursed. I do believe that nations are allowed to set their own laws and while we are visitors we should respect them regardless of our personal beliefs.

I originally read the story on Yahoo, and someone commented about the "gay cruise line." I had to sent the record straight, so I posted a comment that Celebrity is not a "gay cruise line," that it was tour group of homosexual men on a Celebrity ship.

Dominica News Online has the following updated article which has a few more facts:

http://dominicanewsonline.com/news/all-news/general/udpate-gay-cruise-ship-docks-in-dominica-two-passengers-arrested-for-buggery-indecent-exposure/

The comments from the locals are the best part:

"Someone conspired with them to let them into the country. They have been run away by many, many countries.

We have been setup by both the ship, ministry of tourism and the bogarer group itself (well guess i should not use the word bogarer so i will soften it and use ‘gay’ instead). We have been set up."

"Who cares what people do in their private lives?????? How about those in DA who engage in that behavior even when they have wives at home?"

BTW, not sure why the original article was locked. There was nothing more than appropriate discussion. I was not offended by what was said by anyone.

I think that if they were having sex in the privacy of their cabin instead of on their balcony, we would not be having this discussion.

Also, the article says that the cruisers were made aware of the law, then you have to ask why these two gentlemen were so stupid as to have sex in public on their balcony. I'm sure they were just giving the "finger", sort of speak, to Dominica, because of this stone age law, but unfortunately it turned out to be a very costly mistake. We might not agree with the laws and customs of other countries, like Dominica's prehistoric laws, but we have to abide by them when in their country or unfortunately pay the consequences.

I think that if they were having sex in the privacy of their cabin instead of on their balcony, we would not be having this discussion.

Also, the article says that the cruisers were made aware of the law, then you have to ask why these two gentlemen were so stupid as to have sex in public on their balcony. I'm sure they were just giving the "finger", sort of speak, to Dominica, because of this stone age law, but unfortunately it turned out to be a very costly mistake. We might not agree with the laws and customs of other countries, like Dominica's prehistoric laws, but we have to abide by them when in their country or unfortunately pay the consequences.

agreed.Its unlikely they could be veiwed inside the cabin during the day.I would think I could be arrested if I had sex with my wife on the balcony in port in veiw of others.(she would never go along of course)

Certainly here in Ocean City if a couple had sex on their balcony in veiw of others on the Boardwalk they would be charged.

These 2 were either stupid or being arrogant

:cj

• Administrators

Let's keep this dicussion cruise-related please and not turn it into a debate about moral issues, otherwise we'll have to close this thread as well.

agreed.Its unlikely they could be veiwed inside the cabin during the day.I would think I could be arrested if I had sex with my wife on the balcony in port in veiw of others.(she would never go along of course)

Certainly here in Ocean City if a couple had sex on their balcony in veiw of others on the Boardwalk they would be charged.

These 2 were either stupid or being arrogant

:cj

Or trying to challenge the law. There are some that do that too. Just a thought...:cool:

Let's keep this dicussion cruise-related please and not turn it into a debate about moral issues, otherwise we'll have to close this thread as well.

Look at the bright side... :p

At least it isn't about Barbados where it's illegal to 'smoke" in any public space... that thread would get ugly fast! :p:D

They had sex on the balcony in port; they spent the night in jail and paid a fine. Had this incident occurred in an American port, I doubt that the court would have been so lenient. Their sexual orientation is irrelevant.

First of all we have yet to hear the version of events from the accused. After reading the article there are several questions raised.

1. Supposedly they were informed of the laws and that their conduct would be criminal?? So what does that mean? Who told them this and why?

2. Are we to believe that this ship had nothing but male homosexuals as stated in the article by 'eyewitnesses? ? Sounds quite homophobic like the statement about the nation being informed ahead of time inre to gay passengers arriving. or the hair braider being traumatized practically.

3. Where were these guys when the alleged "act" occured? Were they on the balcony in plain view, like on a lower deck or were they viewed in their cabin thru curtains left open? Give this atmosphere of homophobia how can you be sure about anything that happened??

Look at the bright side... :p

At least it isn't about Barbados where it's illegal to 'smoke" in any public space... that thread would get ugly fast! :p:D

Plus it's against Barbados law to wear 'camouflage" fabric clothing!

First of all we have yet to hear the version of events from the accused. After reading the article there are several questions raised.

1. Supposedly they were informed of the laws and that their conduct would be criminal?? So what does that mean? Who told them this and why?

2. Are we to believe that this ship had nothing but male homosexuals as stated in the article by 'eyewitnesses? ? Sounds quite homophobic like the statement about the nation being informed ahead of time inre to gay passengers arriving. or the hair braider being traumatized practically.

3. Where were these guys when the alleged "act" occured? Were they on the balcony in plain view, like on a lower deck or were they viewed in their cabin thru curtains left open? Give this atmosphere of homophobia how can you be sure about anything that happened??

It does not matter whether it was on a balcony or in a cabin! Or if the arrest was the result of homophobia. When traveling outside the US you are outside US legal jurisdiction. On docked ship the local authorities are in charge. No matter how abhorrent their laws or prejudiced their attitude might be in our opinion. Cruise passengers need to be cognizant that we do not have USA civil rights outside the US.

It does not matter whether it was on a balcony or in a cabin! Or if the arrest was the result of homophobia. When traveling outside the US you are outside US legal jurisdiction. On docked ship the local authorities are in charge. No matter how abhorrent their laws or prejudiced their attitude might be in our opinion. Cruise passengers need to be cognizant that we do not have USA civil rights outside the US.

Amen! A fact soon forgotten by many travelers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if the arrest WAS a result of homophobia then how can you be sure the conduct itself was not misconstrued? All is yellow to the jaundiced eye. I say get all the facts first. Maybe it was blatant and over the top, maybe not. yes, I agree we have to respect the laws of the lands we are in. You never heard of prejudiced people making bad judgements based on their biases?? This atmosphere can and often has mattered. Again get the facts first before you conclude.

Well if the arrest WAS a result of homophobia then how can you be sure the conduct itself was not misconstrued? All is yellow to the jaundiced eye. I say get all the facts first. Maybe it was blatant and over the top, maybe not. yes, I agree we have to respect the laws of the lands we are in. You never heard of prejudiced people making bad judgements based on their biases?? This atmosphere can and often has mattered. Again get the facts first before you conclude.

If they had been arrested for wearing a camouflage patterned shirt, would that also perk your "yellow to the jaundiced eye" suspicions? :rolleyes:

Hey, I am as open minded as anyone but sometimes stupid is just plain stupid and it sounds a bit like there's a bit of stupid on both ship and shore side on this one. :cool:

Just my 2 cents.

If they had been arrested for wearing a camouflage patterned shirt, would that also perk your "yellow to the jaundiced eye" suspicions? :rolleyes:

Hey, I am as open minded as anyone but sometimes stupid is just plain stupid and it sounds a bit like there's a bit of stupid on both ship and shore on this one. :cool:

Just my 2 cents.

Welll maybe if this happened and if they had on camo clothes b4 they took them off it would be a slam dunk guilty as charged. Hey I just disagree. Again get all the facts, i.e. both sides but thats how I see it. JM2C. Happy cruisng.

Reminds me of the movie "Boat Trip".

I guess the hair braider was more ticked because of lack of customers.

Shame on the tour operator for scheduling ports that were not open to their life style.

Archived