Water Taxi to Pitons?

AZPam

We will be in St Lucia in May on Carnival. Not really wanting to do an "organized" tour but want to see the Pitons. Wondering if we can just hire a water taxi to take us there and back? Any idea of the cost for a family of 4?

There will not be water taxis at the port just waiting for a fare. You would need to arrange one ahead of time. Here is a site with a list of lots of different water taxi operators - you can contact them to find out if they will do the trip with you and also cost. It will be more expensive than a land taxi - and a r/t land taxi trip will cost around $170US or so for up to 4 people.

Go to uptodatestlucia dot com and put water taxi in the search box (you don't need any of the other info) It will give you a listing of operators - some have website/email and some only have phone.

Another option would be to check with some of boat operators, Mystic Man, Exodus, Captain Tom, Hackshaws, etc. Mystic Man I know will arrange a private boat trip.

Enjoy your visit.

There will not be water taxis at the port just waiting for a fare. You would need to arrange one ahead of time. Here is a site with a list of lots of different water taxi operators - you can contact them to find out if they will do the trip with you and also cost. It will be more expensive than a land taxi - and a r/t land taxi trip will cost around $170US or so for up to 4 people.

Go to uptodatestlucia dot com and put water taxi in the search box (you don't need any of the other info) It will give you a listing of operators - some have website/email and some only have phone.

Another option would be to check with some of boat operators, Mystic Man, Exodus, Captain Tom, Hackshaws, etc. Mystic Man I know will arrange a private boat trip.

Enjoy your visit.

Thank you so much for such a quick reply! I will check things out and see what we can arrange.

I was wondering the same thing, did you find out anymore info in your researching?

The only reply I've gotten so far is from Mystic Man Tours and they would want $500 for our family of 4 :eek: Guess I think I will have to think of something else

I heard back from Mystic Man too, he was WAY TOO expensive, quoted me a price of $900 for 6 people ($150 pp). What are these people thinking! Forget that!!

We will probably do a ship-sponsored excursion. It appears that Carnival has an afternoon snorkel trip to the Pitons ... perfect.

The only reply I've gotten so far is from Mystic Man Tours and they would want $500 for our family of 4 :eek: Guess I think I will have to think of something else

Another option you could look into is Spencer Ambrose's Jalousie Beach Break Tour. This is a 5-6 hour excursion to Jalousie Beach (between the Pitons) by speedboat and back again for $80/adult. It also includes drinks and lunch on the beach.

Another option you could look into is Spencer Ambrose's Jalousie Beach Break Tour. This is a 5-6 hour excursion to Jalousie Beach (between the Pitons) by speedboat and back again for $80/adult. It also includes drinks and lunch on the beach.

We are really trying to stick to a budget on the excursions for this cruise and I was hoping to find some cheaper options. All I am finding is that cheaper is not an option. :(

Unfortunately - you are very correct - cheaper is not so much of an option on St. Lucia. Gas is almost $6US a gallon, the distances are long and vehicles and boats are super expensive to import - unfortunately, the operators have to make it up somewhere! Sorry on behalf of the island! Mystic Man's prices are not all that outrageous when you consider he will be sailing empty two ways (up from Soufreire and back down after dropping the guests off) and it is a full day private charter - he would take you to any beaches along the coast and usually those prices include a fully stocked bar. Just saying.

There is a 1/2 day tour (land) from Serenity TVL that is only $35US pp and goes to the volcano and Pitons, Marigot Bay for a picture stop, banana plantation, etc. All land tour- no beach time, but you see the main sights.

Otherwise, you could rent a car- about $75US for the day plus license and insurance - about $100 total.

Good luck - I do hope you find something that works for you.

hello pam,

i'm going to be in st lucia the week after this and i'm trying to avoid a whole day sightseeing and just see what i want in 3 1/2 to 4 hours. looks like serenity tours is the one and i've written them but have not received an answer yet. their website says they require six people for the half day tour so i've explained to them i am traveling solo and do they have a tour planned for april 10th that i could join. i'll let you know if it works for me.

just go to google and type in serenity tours st lucia and you'll find it in the big yellow star on their home page.

i just called them and they told me they don't have a tour planned for april 10th, so i guess i'm out of luck for this short tour. wish it would have worked for me.

cheers

hello pam,

i'm going to be in st lucia the week after this and i'm trying to avoid a whole day sightseeing and just see what i want in 3 1/2 to 4 hours. looks like serenity tours is the one and i've written them but have not received an answer yet. their website says they require six people for the half day tour so i've explained to them i am traveling solo and do they have a tour planned for april 10th that i could join. i'll let you know if it works for me.

here's the link to serenity: http://www.****************/Volcano___Piton_Delight.html

cheers

Let me know if you get to go and how it was!

Reed Princess, thanks again for all of your valuable information. I guess we are just going to have to suck it up and pay the price ;) Now just need to figure out who we will go with. You are right, when looking at the big picture Mystic Man is right in there with everyone else. Wish we could find somebody to share the price with though. Really don't want to rent a car as my son gets so car sick on curvy roads. Prefer to stay on the water for his benefit.

yes, ST LUCIA is VERY, VERY expensive - just returned today from spending 7 days in St Lucia ziplining, sailing to Pitons, visiting Rodney Bay (go to Jambe de Bois f lunch) and renting a catamaran. One option could be to get more people together and rent a catamaran: We booked with the MOORINGS (ask for LYN and CAptain SAM) in Marigot Bay - he's awesome and will cater to your needs ...he took us down to Pitons , stopping f snorkeling and secluded beaches but it is $ 600.00 for the charter - if it is for 6-8 people might work. Sadly, St Lucia pricing is very steep .........

You don't utilize THAT much gas on a catamaran. If people are saying that gas is expensive and that's why the price is high, then they are ripping you off. Catamarans are powered by sail and shouldn't be under gas powered engines.

You don't utilize THAT much gas on a catamaran. If people are saying that gas is expensive and that's why the price is high, then they are ripping you off. Catamarans are powered by sail and shouldn't be under gas powered engines.

True - except when there is little to no wind. :p

Anyways, the gas comments are directed towards land/sea tours and water taxis- which is what the poster was asking about originally - land/sea tours use both vans and motor boats, as do lots of the coastal tours- Spencer, Mystic Man, Herod, etc. They aren't using wind power, but gas power - hence expensive prices. Hope that clears it up, and that you found a tour that works for you, ibcnusoon!

We found anything being extremely expensive on St Lucia - incl food. Whilst I have been travelling the world and being used to somehow steep prices at times ( Switzerland being my TOP favorite despite their steep prices) I must say I most likely will not return to St Lucia in the near future. I am aware that food does need to get imported etc - yet, charging EC $ 45.00 pP ($ 20.00 US) for fish fry in Anse La Raye for a plate full of bread, platanos, salad, rice w a small portion of greasy and cold fish is clearly taking advantage of tourism. I furthermore was addressed by a local stating that the prices have been very steep for tourists since the locals are under the impression that the cost does not realyl matter much for tourists :-( Guess, there is a fine line between higher costs and taking advantage of tourism with a negative taste to it ... US $ 40.00 for a 10-15 min cab ride I do consider extensive

• 1 month later...

Just returned and ended up booking with Spencer Ambrose for his Jalouise Beach Break. It was a lot of fun and I would highly recommend it. Just wish it was just a tad bit shorter. We were ready to come back about 1:30 but didn't get to leave until 3pm. They took great care of us though. Lunch was yummy and drinks plentiful, so feel like we got our money's worth.

Just returned and ended up booking with Spencer Ambrose for his Jalouise Beach Break. It was a lot of fun and I would highly recommend it. Just wish it was just a tad bit shorter. We were ready to come back about 1:30 but didn't get to leave until 3pm. They took great care of us though. Lunch was yummy and drinks plentiful, so feel like we got our money's worth.

Hello AZpam:)

Im so glad to see your post on your recent experience with spencer ambrose tours. My bf and I will be sailing in august on the carnival victory and we will be in st.lucia and came across this tour offered by Spencer. I have a couple of questions if you dont mind. Did they pick you up at the port? Were they easy to find? it will just be me and my bf and i dont know if any other people will book with him so just in case, are they nice people? Did they get you back to the port with time left? I really dont want to book a tour with carnival as i feel we pay too much for what you get and with so much people. This tour seemed like an awesome experience. Do they really offer all that they say. Beach, pitons, bat cave etc. Im so sorry for so many questions LOL but im really trying to see what will be the best. THANKS!!:)

Yes, you walk off the ship and he was waiting right on the pier with a sign. Very easy to see and there were plenty of people there to guide to the right spot. Just don't be late as he doesn't wait, which I liked. Spencer was a nice guy but I would say Terry did most of the work for our group. Spencer just dropped us off and Terry took care of us the rest of the day. We didn't see Spencer again until it was time to be picked up as he was shuttling other groups back and forth. The tour is pretty much as advertised. Plenty to drink, great food, free chairs on the beach. You do have rent snorkle gear if you don't bring your own, which I really think they should provide. We got back to port with about 30-45 minutes to spare. Just long enough to run in and grad some tshirts, but not much else. As I said before, wish it was about a hour or two shorter.

• 4 weeks later...

Pam what did the lunch consist of? We are looking at this tour for next year. Were at Jalouise Beach a few years ago & loved it (after Cosols tour). Just didn't get enough beach time. This trip to St. Lucia I just want to look at the Pitons & snorkel a lil bit. This beach break tour sounds like the one!

Pam what did the lunch consist of? We are looking at this tour for next year. Were at Jalouise Beach a few years ago & loved it (after Cosols tour). Just didn't get enough beach time. This trip to St. Lucia I just want to look at the Pitons & snorkel a lil bit. This beach break tour sounds like the one!

Lunch was really tastey and I'm a picky eater. BBQ chicken, couple different types of potato salad, green salad, banana salad too, I think. We did not go away hungry. I did take a picture of it:

IMG_4953.jpg.8843ea82c05e2714232766d0c19db746.jpg

Archived