Best cruise ever?

Seago2

We've had a lot of great cruises. Best ever was taking our 7 grandkids on the Navigator of the Seas. It was also the most exhausting:) No down time on that cruise!

For pure beauty and "I can't believe I'm here", it would be the Nile River cruise--dreamlike.

I've never had a bad cruise but probably my most memorable (so far) was my first TA. 13 days from Port Everglades to Southampton. The JVO did world cruises so there were some kids from Australia and New Zealand (I was not quite 12) and we had a great time together. Good memories!

T/A and Nile sound gorgeous..... Mine would have to be with four of my kids in a quad cabin with a rollaway for the pure joy of it but as Nebr. Cruiser says below- no down time. I've had so many more luxurious cruises since then but for the laughs- that one was it!

I guess it would be a 46 day cruise on the HAL Prinsendam. Started in Lisbon, sailed down the west coast of Africa stopping at ten or so ports and then Cape Town, across the Atlantic to Brazil stopping at Saint Helena and Ascension and then up the Amazon and then on to Port Everglades and home.

What was the best cruise you ever took?

Was it because of your traveling companions? Or was it the ship, the trip, or something else?

My best cruise ever was actually on a ship I didn't like. The itinerary and our shore activities and tours are what made it the best. It was a 12 night cruise on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam from Venice to Barcelona.

I guess it would be a 46 day cruise on the HAL Prinsendam. Started in Lisbon, sailed down the west coast of Africa stopping at ten or so ports and then Cape Town, across the Atlantic to Brazil stopping at Saint Helena and Ascension and then up the Amazon and then on to Port Everglades and home.

Would love this. Just love.

Best to date was last June Carnival Valor eastern Caribbean cruise. Best because it was the first time I felt my son was a strong enough swimmer to snorkel without a lot of help. We snorkeled off of Coki beach in St. Tom the first port and covered a good distance from shore. The wonder in his eyes seeing the scores of fish, not in an aquarium was truly priceless.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

We've been fortunate to have had several wonderful cruises. The best were the 12 night Italy/Croatia (with pre and post days in Rome) and a Hawaiian cruise on the old American Hawaiian Independence.

We were warned by others on both as they were older ships. But the itineraries could not be beat and everything worked out very well. Both times, the crew was outstanding, food was great, ship was clean and we were with wonderful travel companions.

So much for needing the biggest, newest and best :p

Prior to 2010, I couldn't have named a FAVORITE. All were great, some were beyond great. But my 2010 cruise with my adult daughter on Serenade of the Seas was the best.

It was the first time cruising with my daughter as an adult. We had a GREAT roll call and met some fantastic people. The ship is my favorite to date, and I honestly expected to be a little disappointed by stepping down to a smaller RCL vessel. Itinerary was awesome; I love the southern Caribbean ports. Other than St. Thomas, we had perfect weather. And on top of all that, we got an absolutely FANTASTIC deal on the cruise - best ever value!!

My next cruise is on the Jewel because Serenade doesn't cruise out of San Juan anymore.

We've been so blessed to sail a very large number of cruises which means we have a great many 'bests'. There were the 'bests' because of how much we laughed, there were the bests because of how great our time together, there were the bests because of friends we met aboard or traveled with, there were bests because of the sights........

I only hope we have more 'best' cruises awaiting us. :)

I loved all of my cruises thus far for different reasons (honeymoon/first cruise, anniversary and valuable 'away from the kids' time, etc.). But my favorite was probably our most recent sailing on the Norwegian Epic. It was our second time on the ship so we felt familiar on a ship we love, with entertainment and food we love in an amazing suite. The staff was so amazing all over the ship. We took my MIL with us and it was her first time on a cruise and I loved watching it through her eyes. Our kids really had a great time. We met some nice friends and enjoyed every day onboard. I didn't want it to end.

I expect each of my upcoming cruises to end up as my favorite ;) !!

For me, it is tie between a cruise to Alaska in September 2010, and our recent Caribbean cruise.

Alaska because we had PERFECT weather, and an unusual itinerary, and lots of wildlife sightings. Daytime temps were around 72F, and some evenings were warmer than a few evenings we've experienced in the Caribbean. We did a full transit of Tracy Arm, and we got to go to Sitka, even though our ship cruised from Vancouver and sailed east of Vancouver Island -- a fantastic itinerary. We even spent time cruising the historic Inside Passage in Grenville Channel :D (My cabin sucked, my cabin steward was AWFUL and my travelling companions were "interesting" :rolleyes: but everything else was outstanding :D)

Our recent Caribbean cruise because the onboard experience was just a notch better than any other cruise we've been on, AND because it was a totally slothful vacation :D We found the weather in the S. Carib to be very taxing, and did very little on shore, but we enjoyed sitting on our balcony, napping, and such to be very restorative. It was an awesome 10 days for DH and I to reconnect.

For me, it is tie between a cruise to Alaska in September 2010, and our recent Caribbean cruise.

Alaska because we had PERFECT weather, and an unusual itinerary, and lots of wildlife sightings. Daytime temps were around 72F, and some evenings were warmer than a few evenings we've experienced in the Caribbean. We did a full transit of Tracy Arm, and we got to go to Sitka, even though our ship cruised from Vancouver and sailed east of Vancouver Island -- a fantastic itinerary. We even spent time cruising the historic Inside Passage in Grenville Channel :D (My cabin sucked, my cabin steward was AWFUL and my travelling companions were "interesting" :rolleyes: but everything else was outstanding :D)

Our recent Caribbean cruise because the onboard experience was just a notch better than any other cruise we've been on, AND because it was a totally slothful vacation :D We found the weather in the S. Carib to be very taxing, and did very little on shore, but we enjoyed sitting on our balcony, napping, and such to be very restorative. It was an awesome 10 days for DH and I to reconnect.

The Alaska trip sounds incredible! What ship was it?

Our Best Cruise Ever was a Mediterranean Cruise my dh and I took on the Norwegian Jade. First of all it was totally spur of the moment. We decided one Sunday afternoon and three weeks later we were flying to England. We had perfect weather - everywhere we went someone would say "oh you're so lucky, it was horrible yesterday". The only rain we saw was in Southhampton on the way to the airport on our way home. The ports were amazing - Barcelona, Florence, Rome, Nice, Lisbon, Gibralter....not one thing went wrong. We loved the ship - it had recently been sailing in Hawaii, so the whole ship had murals of King Kamahamaha and hula girls - it was so weirdly wacky and fun. It was the first time we had tried Freestyle Dining and the restaurants on the ship were really good. Met lots of nice people....yes - that was a great cruise.

We've been so blessed to sail a very large number of cruises which means we have a great many 'bests'. There were the 'bests' because of how much we laughed, there were the bests because of how great our time together, there were the bests because of friends we met aboard or traveled with, there were bests because of the sights........

I only hope we have more 'best' cruises awaiting us. :)

I hear you. I have many bests and two "worsts", and they were only worst because to me they were "blah". Ok- Carnival Pride everyone thought was a laugh :rolleyes:. It's so hard to pick a best! But I'm loving hearing everyone else's stories!

The Alaska trip sounds incredible! What ship was it?

We were on HAL's Ryndam with Capt Mark Rowden (sp?). The itinerary was a "one-off" right at the end of her Alaska season. IF they had that itinerary every year, I'd be on it every year :D Getting into Grenville Channel was due to tide conditions, it seldom happens. I am STILL grateful to the captain for doing that!

The feeding conditions were perfect for humpbacks, and on our Sitka "sea otter" excursion we saw SO MANY humpbacks it was unnerving. Some were REALLY close. It is highly unusual, AFAIK, for many many humpbacks to be in such close quarters, but the feeding conditions were perfect.

The only chilliness we experienced was early the Tracy Arm Fjord day -- it was VERY chilly on deck until about 10 am, when it warmed up and we all had to peel off some of our layers.

One morning I was on the aft deck by the pool, and was staring over the side, and saw an ENORMOUS fish. ENORMOUS. Close to the ship. Very close. I watched for a bit, and it surfaced -- it was an ORCA. And then another orca joined it. I was so shocked I couldn't even SQUEAK to alert others. And then they were gone. (I just checked my "cruise notes" to make sure that is the cruise when I saw the orcas from above)

The entire cruise (except for my cabin, my steward, and the travelling companions) was one magical moment after another. I so wish my DH could have experienced it with me. Though he may have pitched the travelling companions and cabin steward overboard :D

We were on HAL's Ryndam with Capt Mark Rowden (sp?). The itinerary was a "one-off" right at the end of her Alaska season. IF they had that itinerary every year, I'd be on it every year :D Getting into Grenville Channel was due to tide conditions, it seldom happens. I am STILL grateful to the captain for doing that!

The feeding conditions were perfect for humpbacks, and on our Sitka "sea otter" excursion we saw SO MANY humpbacks it was unnerving. Some were REALLY close. It is highly unusual, AFAIK, for many many humpbacks to be in such close quarters, but the feeding conditions were perfect.

The only chilliness we experienced was early the Tracy Arm Fjord day -- it was VERY chilly on deck until about 10 am, when it warmed up and we all had to peel off some of our layers.

One morning I was on the aft deck by the pool, and was staring over the side, and saw an ENORMOUS fish. ENORMOUS. Close to the ship. Very close. I watched for a bit, and it surfaced -- it was an ORCA. And then another orca joined it. I was so shocked I couldn't even SQUEAK to alert others. And then they were gone. (I just checked my "cruise notes" to make sure that is the cruise when I saw the orcas from above)

The entire cruise (except for my cabin, my steward, and the travelling companions) was one magical moment after another. I so wish my DH could have experienced it with me. Though he may have pitched the travelling companions and cabin steward overboard :D

Oh wow, this would be my DREAM. I have always wanted to see whales. Saw one once- for a second- leaving Boston and it was such a thrill. Can't wait for Alaska but it's on Westerdam so no way will we be getting in those tight areas.

For me, it is a toss up between the second cruise I took which was a "family cruise", 3-nighter to the Bahamas in 2009 or the 7 nighter in 2012 to Alaska for my and my DH 5th wedding anniversary. Both were amazing. Every cruise I go on means something to me because it's usually with family! :D

Archived