Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old March 10th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Arrow Past-Passenger Programs

Check out this brand-new feature article from Cruise Critic:

Past-Passenger Programs

Read the entire feature article...

Old March 10th, 2008, 10:04 PM
10,000+ Club

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jana Jones
But enthusiasm among passengers to committing to just one line is on the wane, by and large. Rampant discounting and continuing innovations in ship design have spurred travelers to jump from fleet to fleet.
I'm going to have to disagree on this one. "Rampant discounting"??? Someone tell me where this is so I can try it. There are a number of us who are not jumping between lines to try the latest and so called greatest. We couldn't care less about a rock climbing wall, an ice skating rink, wave blasters, or 17 million passengers crammed into a cruise ship the size of Rhode Island. No, we jump between lines because of dissatisfaction with the decline of things such as food, service, inclusive ammenities, etc., in the hopes the other cruiseline in our price range will be better than the last time we cruised it and jumped ship for similar, but individually different, reasons. Whether you call us traditionalists or whatever you want, we simply want the high quality food (in the main dining room!), service, room service menu, free new release in-cabin movies, entertainment worth seeing, not being hounded/nickle and dimed for everything, friendly crew, room ammenities, uncrowded ships, etc. that we used to have several years ago. We are jumping back and forth because we are trying to hang on for dear life to the things the cruise lines have been slowly stripping away!

What also warrants mention is the growing dissatisfaction with airline travel combinded concurrently with reduced options of cruise ports within driving distance (for me Galveston and New Orleans). The cruiselines are simply slapping their loyal customers in the face by moving the ships we previously filled to capacity to another market such as Alaska or Europe where they can get away with charging much more per cabin per day to new cruisers who never sailed with them before. We are simply choosing an available affordable ship because they removed the option of sailing with them there again away from us (again see RCCL not porting a ship year round in Galveston).

Don't care about "innovations" and bigger ships.

Give it all back to us, and we will come back and give our loyalty to you again. Simple as that!

Co-Founder of the Proud Indulgent Rum And Tequilla Enjoyment Society

Carnival Magic - 2/09/2014

Breeze-2013, Magic-2012, Conquest-2011,
Oasis B2B 2011, Conquest-2010, Ecstasy-2010,
Conquest-2009, Ecstasy-2009, Brilliance-2008, Miracle-2007, Conquest-2006,
Rhapsody-2005, Vision-2003, Rhapsody-2002, Inspiration-2001, Jubilee-1999

Old March 11th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Here Here.....

I'll 2nd that motion...I agree with Cruise Cat 100%. Save money by not building the bigger ships, give us a smaller affordable line with great food and service and watch what happens!

Andy

Dolphin Ocean Breeze southern caribbean '95
Dolphin Ocean Breeze Bahamas (wedding) '96
Crown Princess Alaska (honeymoon) '96
Dolphin Sea Breeze Western Caribbean '97
Dolphin Sea Breeze Eastern Caribbean '98
Commodore Enchanted Isle W.Caribbean '00
NCL Dream Western Caribbean/Central America '05
Carnival Destiny Southern Caribbean '06
Crown Princess Southern Caribbean '07
MSC ORCHESTRA Western Caribbean '09
Carnival Freedom W. Caribbean/C.A. '10
RCI Serenade of the Seas; Southern Caribbean '11
Celebrity Summit; Bermuda, '12
MSC POESIA; Eastern carribean, '13
Carnival Legend; Central America, '14

Old March 11th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Well said

I personally am being pushed towards the more deluxe lines just to get the quality of food, service, etc that used to be found in the mass market lines. That puts a serious crimp in my travel budget. Those past pax programs that do offer decent "perks" are at least heading in the right direction of winning my loyalty.

Travel Blog: www.liv4cruzin.com

Old March 21st, 2008, 02:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Totally agree with the above posts...

I have the highest ranking with Holland America, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Princess...

I wish Holland America would honor my internet and laundry privledges that I get on Princess.

I've been cruising 27 years since I was a child, it's sad how much it has changed!

Old April 19th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down Royal Caribbean - Galveston

We just returned from sailing the voyager of the seas for our 10th royal caribbean cruise out of galveston, making us diamond members in the crown & anchor loyalty program. My subject is much like the 1st reply on this thread. We started cruising RCCL in 1994 and had to fly to miami for about 1/2 of our cruises we booked until Galveston opened its doors to royal caribbean ships a few years ago. We have taken 5 cruises out of galveston since we dont have to pay for the high-priced airfare anymore. Now rhapsody has pulled out, splender of the seas has pulled out and voyager is only there a short time each year and as Texas being as large of a state as we are, deserve more royal caribbean ships here for their loyal cruisers. They can keep their onboard coupon books and give us ships to cruise on out of galveston and non-flyers will cruise more often. I think its a disgrace not to serve this large state of Texas with your ships. RCCL sure wants us to be loyal to them. Well remember this!!! You have to earn loyalty and Royal Caribbean does not own the seas and if they dont offer ships here as high-priced as flying is, we will cruise with other ships that are here. We wont follow your ships. So, to make a short story here, we are diamond status of RCCL & arent even excited about it anymore. RCCL is missing the boat(literally) by not catering to texans more by more ships, more offerings, itineraries....etc. We need 7 nights western, 7-10 night eastern itineraries and not just the 5-6 stops to the Yucatan.

The moral story of royal caribbeans departure of galveston looks like that they dont really like loyalty because the more a cruiser cruises, the more ways they learn to save money on their bookings as cruisers get experience. Royal Caribbean would rather have all 1st timers that are dumb-like on the money and book on their website without discounts. Their cruise discount certificates are a joke. They offered hardly nothing so far on galveston departures and the coupons arent designed to reward the loyal cruisers without strings attached, by only offering select sailings. Loyalty discount certificates should be good on any ship anytime of the year, not just on select sailings in which are not popular times to cruise and just given then to fill the empty cabins.

Last edited by BOAT JUNKIE; April 19th, 2008 at 01:46 AM.

Old April 19th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

The information on Cunard Line is completely wrong. The new program has been in place for several months so there is no excuse for the errors. There are not three levels, there are four. The article does not even mention the valuable perks on the upper loyalty levels (available to all regardless of the level of cabin booked).

Here's what I get as a Diamond (the level the article forgot to mention):
  • Lapel pin
    Priority luggage delivery
    8 hours of free internet access
    Complimentary lunch at Todd English
    Dedicated phone number
    10% discount on luggage delivery service
    20% off laundry and dry cleaning
    Priority check-in, embarkation
    Disembarkation lounge with breakfast service
    Complimentary wine tasting
    Senior officer's party

This article really needs to be corrected especially as the intro calls out Cunard as having a poor program

Julia

Last edited by juliecat; April 19th, 2008 at 03:27 PM.

Old April 20th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliecat View Post
[...]
  • Senior officer's party
[...]

Julia
Ahhh, the Senior Officers' (grammar, grammar: watch your plurals and your Saxon Genitives... ) Party... such a fantastic event reserved for few, happy few!

We, The Penguins' Collective, wish to share a couple of pictures from the parties where you see all the Cunard Senior Officers, so that those who do not have the fabled Diamond Lapel Pin, can join in the fun, mirth and merriment!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg h63033.jpg (21.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg h02889.jpg (34.9 KB, 50 views)

Old April 24th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS View Post
Check out this brand-new feature article from Cruise Critic:

Past-Passenger Programs

Read the entire feature article...
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliecat View Post
The information on Cunard Line is completely wrong. The new program has been in place for several months so there is no excuse for the errors. There are not three levels, there are four. The article does not even mention the valuable perks on the upper loyalty levels (available to all regardless of the level of cabin booked).

• Lapel pin
    Priority luggage delivery
    8 hours of free internet access
    Complimentary lunch at Todd English
    Dedicated phone number
    10% discount on luggage delivery service
    20% off laundry and dry cleaning
    Priority check-in, embarkation
    Disembarkation lounge with breakfast service
    Complimentary wine tasting
    Senior officer's party
This article really needs to be corrected especially as the intro calls out Cunard as having a poor program

Julia
Julia,

I can see where you'd be upset. I actually wrote the original over four years ago when Cunard's program was poor. A lot has certainly changed since then. I think it (the article) was highlighted on the front page of Cruise Critic, which triggered Community to post it here as a new article ... which is a brilliant synergy... but in this case, obviously incorrect.

I agree, the whole article needs to be updated. Things change so rapidly these days, and we have so much material on the Cruise Critic site, sometimes we overlook clearly dated material. But it isn't purposeful, really.

Thank you for bringing it to our attention. I'll let you know when it really is updated

Jana