If you could choose a new activity?

I don't know about everyone else, but some of the activities on board are getting kind of boring and old. I can only take so much of the sexy man contest and belly flopping. I am curious what activity others cruise passengers would like to see aboard.....

More arts and craft classes with no charge or maybe a small charge for materials like the jewelry making class.

I would love to have real Port talks. Not shopping but the history and culture of the island. And interesting things to see. I can shop at home and the islands are no longer the bargain they used to be.

It is hard though given the size of the ships to do some of the fun activities of bygone days.

Pool games like Spoon Diving, where silverware is thrown into the pool and contestants had to retrieve it, or the Plastic Fruit in the pool. Women only in two piece suits. Some found creative ways to stuff fruit into a bikini.

I used to enjoy the horse racing before they started selling the horses. It was strictly pari mutuel betting before the race.

Skeet shooting was fun too.

But this was all on the Nordic Prince in '86. The ship held a whopping 1200 pax!!

Pool games like Spoon Diving, where silverware is thrown into the pool and contestants had to retrieve it,

I remember this game! When we were kids my brother entered the competition. He retrieved all 20 spoons that were thrown in and won. My bro was underwater for so long I think the cruise director was getting nervous and was wondering if he should dive in to rescue him. I don't think that cruise director ever saw anyone get all 20 spoons before.

We just took a Celebrity cruise and were blown away by the quality and quantity of live music all over the ship throughout the day and evening. I would love to see this on RCI.

We second that!:):)

Things that would require $$ and possibly a new space:

Laser Tag

LOTS of live music (like on celebrity)

Things that could be easily added to existing ships with minimal cost:

cake decorating class

better and more arts and crafts

meditation

Sing along movies (like, put on The Sound of Music or Grease with the subtitles at the pool at an off hour and encourage people to sing along--have cruise staff in costumes singing along to get people into it)

more and more varieties of silly games and races (the day of formal night teams could design a formal from a roll of toilet paper, or little obstacle courses could be set up at the pool, or improve comedy stye games like on Whose Line is it Anyway?, the spoons in the pool game reference above, etc--just about anything they'd do at a summer camp you cam do on a ship.

Crew talent shows

Etc

I love the ships that offer things the cruise staff really knows--you get great variety. We've had laughter yoga, singing lessons, magic classes, ASL classes, juggling workshops and improve comedy workshops, etc

Painting class. Pair it with booze/wine for 90-120 minutes, supply me with canvas, paints, brushes, and instruct me how to paint a keepsake from my vacation. THAT is something I would pay for. I did that recently as a date night (having never been able to draw a straight line) and had a great time.

I would love to have real Port talks. Not shopping but the history and culture of the island. And interesting things to see. I can shop at home and the islands are no longer the bargain they used to be.

Absolutely. I'd love this too.

...I would love to have real Port talks. Not shopping but the history and culture of the island. And interesting things to see. I can shop at home and the islands are no longer the bargain they used to be....!

Absolutely. I'd love this too.

I agree. The only time I've seen real port talks on Royal were on the a transatlantic cruise.

We just took a Celebrity cruise and were blown away by the quality and quantity of live music all over the ship throughout the day and evening. I would love to see this on RCI.

I can't tell you how much we missed this when we were on RCI. No music til after 9:30pm...and we're earlybirds! :)

I would also like more informative, non-sales pitch lectures. Would love a history seminar prior to each port. On our first cruise, we went to an "port information" lecture and were sad to find it a big shopping pitch. Oh, well.

You know, I would LOVE these too, but I have to wonder if I would ever go to realize it was NOT a shopping lecture. I would be afraid that they would have low attendance and end up being cancelled even if RCI tried--sine so many of us have been burned by the boring shopping ones. They'd have to be very clearly advertised as truly history or culture and not just a sales pitch.

I don't know about everyone else, but some of the activities on board are getting kind of boring and old. I can only take so much of the sexy man contest and belly flopping. I am curious what activity others cruise passengers would like to see aboard.....

I guess I am a little different. I do not need "organized" activities to make my vacation be a successful one. To me just relaxing on the ship and being away from home is enough to make me very happy.

It would be nice if there were a big room for kids/adults w/ trampolines (not the normal kind you're thinking of ) we have something in our town called jumpzone. there bouncy but on the floor for adults and kids - burns off lots of energy/fun, kids would stay there forever and big waterslides. I agree on the ports/lecture especially like alaska or other places, not so much the caribbean.

To those of you who suggested skeet shooting:

I have already pitched a similar, well-thought-out activity to Royal Caribbean, and much to my surprise, they did not add it.

I think that on Oasis and Allure, there should be paint-ball shooting at the zipliners.

:D

Archived