Quality Control Audit of Cabin Steward

NJ Fred

I do the same thing as Lois however since the cabins are not ready until 1 or 1:30 its not my first libation.....

Hi Don, oh, that would not be my first;)....but it is my standard

practice....unpack that carry on bag and go back outside:D

I put "first" there in error.....LOL

Edited by Lois R

Lois,

One trick I learned from Tommy, don't wait that long to find that first libation. Look for the bar closest to guest relations and enjoy your first drink. It cleans of the wear and tear of travel and checking in. And most important, it ensures your card is working before you get to far away from GR

Well hello Rick:D you are missed on here! And that does sound like

something Tommy would know about:);):D

Maybe an assistance dog, trained for blind sniff tests, would be useful for passengers who need a "Quality Control Audit of Cabin Steward" :p

12582229724_5423168e8f_z.jpg

Do you remember the woman a few years back who was checking her room with an ultraviolet light. She is now banned from all Royal Caribbean ships for that and other things.

I have a standard practice when first entering my stateroom. I check behind the television (if it is on a cabinet/desk, etc.) and under the bed.

If an extraordinary amount of dust or any garbage is present I have a matter-of-fact talk with the cabin steward.

One steward balked alleging he was "just assigned this room one hour ago." I did my diplomatic best to assuage his feelings by shifting the blame to his predecessor and telling him: "I thought so because you impress me as being too much of a professional to leave te cabin so untidy."

I give the cabin steward one shot at doing better. If poor cleanliness persists, I take time-stamped photos and share them during an audience with the Hotel Director. I would think most Hotel Directors "get it" that the photos can be sent to the home office.

I am far from an ogre. I simply believe in getting most of what the advertising paraphernalia hypes.

Any strategies you might have would be appreciated. I want to underscore that after 68 cruises on ships of several lines I can count on one hand the number of staterooms I considered unclean upon boarding.

And if anyone feels I should consider the pressure cabin stewards face on debarkation/embarkation days, I respectfully retort (in advance) that this is part of the job - - and that supervisors should have found the housekeeping omissions before a customer did.

Since you haven't come on here to respond to all the posts that disagree with you I am going to assume this was a joke......

We like most, smile broadly when we walk into our room, breathe deeply and let the stress of life slip away, get a drink and enjoy the beginning of our vacation...... IF I find something disturbing later then I deal with it but I sure don't go looking for it...... AND I run a hotel so I know most all of the good and bad that can be found in a room..... but if you were serious in your post what a lousy way to begin your trip...looking for problems....ugh.....

My strategy is to board with a positive attitude, relax and enjoy my cruise. I have neither the time or inclination to do the white glove test but each to their own.

When I enter my cabin, I immediately check the ship's entertainment and activity schedule to get the fun rolling. Obvious issues are discussed but far to concerned with enjoying the cruise.

We do mention any expectations (like requesting ice each day) but the cabin stewards work 10-hours a day, six days a week. They're typically bread-winners who send money back to their families in third-world countries. Contacting the hotel director would potentially impact their livelihood and would not be worth it for dust behind a TV (only significant issues after attempts to resolve with the cabin steward).

We do mention any expectations (like requesting ice each day) but the cabin stewards work 10-hours a day, six days a week. They're typically bread-winners who send money back to their families in third-world countries. Contacting the hotel director would potentially impact their livelihood and would not be worth it for dust behind a TV (only significant issues after attempts to resolve with the cabin steward).

To me, if I call something to the attention of the steward and they fail to act upon it, then they are not doing their job, and shouldn't have the position and deserve to lose it and let someone else with a family back home who needs money sent home take the job who is willing and able to do the work and provide the service and meet expectations of the cruiser.

I don't care how 'insignificant' an issue is, if I call it to their attention, it should be dealt with. I won't however support going to the HD without first calling something to the stewards's attention to it first, even if it looks like the back of the TV hasn't been cleaned in 3 months. But if I tell the steward the back of the TV needs cleaned, and it isn't done, then it's time to let the bosses know to decide to either terminate them (assuming they wouldn't do so for a single infraction, but only after multiple infractions based on multiple guest feedback) or provide additional training to the staff member.

Dear NJ Fred,

Thank you for your diligence. To be absolutely thorough with your "Quality Control Audit of Cabin Steward" I humbly suggest adding to your inspection the following which I ardently pursue upon entering my cabin well before I consider unpacking, or opening the cabin's sparkling wine awaiting consumption:

- Finger wipe of the ceiling (Dust mites parachuting on to passenger's faces while sleeping is a concern that has me performing this check twice daily. Standing on the cabin's chair in your shoes is very helpful for this. And if the cabin steward does not clean your shoe's imprints afterwards, he or she should be disciplined.)

- Pulling off all bed-sheets and flipping the mattress to check for stains hidden on the underside. (I so worry of catching unspeakable social-diseases from what may lie below my bedding.)

- Black-light your sheets and bathroom (I thank Anthony Melchiorri, host of Hotel Impossible, for this tid-bit. You may find portable ultraviolet lights that fit comfortably into your carry-on cheaply online.)

- Sniff the drapes (Only the best-of-the best cabin stewards fluff and deodorize twice daily a cabin's drapery.)

I'm surprised and disappointed that you do not finger wipe picture frames. As a devoted viewer of Hotel Impossible, I never accept a hotel room, cruise cabin, or my best friend's guest room should there be the slightest trace of gray left on my fingers after a frame wipe.

I wish you many sanitized cruises with cabin stewards who meet both of our minimal expectations without our having worry of fiberglass strands placed between our sheets.

May I humbly suggest that if we are to require from our room stewards the level of diligence and attention to detail that some people here are advocating then we should also prepare ourselves for a dramatic increase in cruise fares as Celebrity doubles the number of cabin stewards to adequately cover the work load.

In the meantime I would hope that any cabin steward who passes one of these quality audits is rewarded with a massive tip.

May I humbly suggest that if we are to require from our room stewards the level of diligence and attention to detail that some people here are advocating then we should also prepare ourselves for a dramatic increase in cruise fares as Celebrity doubles the number of cabin stewards to adequately cover the work load.

In the meantime I would hope that any cabin steward who passes one of these quality audits is rewarded with a massive tip.

A good housekeeping routine doesn't involve everything everyday. It involves management establishing and ensuring follow up with periodic routine maintenance and projects. mondays are dust baseboards day, tuesdays behind tv day, wednesdays clean the sliding door tracks day, wednesday razor blade hairspray off mirrors and walls in bathroom. Last friday of each month move and clean under beds, first friday of the month move and clean behind other furniture. and on and on.

Hotel housekeeping is far different than at home, as it's daily, and routine and ongoing. The issues the OP brings up should be part of those routines, and that they are not being handled, means there is an issue to be addressed.

This has been a very, very interesting thread. A real education and an illustration of how silly a discussion can become.

To those of you who think me foolish, who cares. Some of the discussion I repeatedly read on this site take "foolish" to new heights. How do I dress? How many bottles of wine can I bring on? What plane should I take? Over and over and over.

To the few (very few) who offered serious perspectives, thank you.

To those who had a lark - - glad you had fun. I did, too.

BTW, to those who suggested I bestow a meaningful gratuity to those stewards - I do, well above and in addition to the suggested daily minimum. Conversely, I do not tip if service is substandard.

Bye bye now!

Edited by NJ Fred

A good housekeeping routine doesn't involve everything everyday. It involves management establishing and ensuring follow up with periodic routine maintenance and projects. mondays are dust baseboards day, tuesdays behind tv day, wednesdays clean the sliding door tracks day, wednesday razor blade hairspray off mirrors and walls in bathroom. Last friday of each month move and clean under beds, first friday of the month move and clean behind other furniture. and on and on.

Hotel housekeeping is far different than at home, as it's daily, and routine and ongoing. The issues the OP brings up should be part of those routines, and that they are not being handled, means there is an issue to be addressed.

That's all perfectly OK, but it seems to me many people are putting the onus on the steward to get things done when they are already overworked and underpaid. If there is a problem it is more than likely a management and resourcing issue. Personally I don't think there is a problem but perhaps I have lower standards.

That's all perfectly OK, but it seems to me many people are putting the onus on the steward to get things done when they are already overworked and underpaid. If there is a problem it is more than likely a management and resourcing issue. Personally I don't think there is a problem but perhaps I have lower standards.

I intended to withhold further comment. But the comments of both cle-guy and gek are brilliant.

I concur that each steward has a hefty load. Several discussions exist on this site's archives chronicling the personnel cutbacks in different on board departments.

That aside, I reiterate, the cruise line boldly advertises what it promises to deliver to those who pay the fare. And we have a right to expect what we pay for - - that's really what this thread was all about when you sift-out the comments from fledgling theatrical wannabes and others whose sarcasm is quite telling about they themselves.

Sanitation is a key issue in the cruise industry. Inspections by governmental agencies require a near-perfect score in order to get a passing grade. And if you read some of those reports you will see that dust, mildew, leaks and other minutia are all noted as violations that require timely remedies.

My methods might sound extreme. Again, I could give a darn what anybody else thinks. But they are what I choose to do and I elected to share them. Kind of at a higher level than those who boast or offer hints about how they "smuggle" booze onto a ship without landing in the "bad room."

Yes, it is best left to Celebrity (or whatever line's) management to inspect and evaluate methods and procedures in order to maintain good will and word-of-mouth recommendations. Think about what you read here - number of elevators, poor signage, lower caliber of food, activity staff reduction. It's all relevant. And it's all read by the cruise companies. To include any shills that post in a crude attempt to disqualify the validity of a customer's concerns.

Tally Ho.

Edited by NJ Fred

There is absolutely nothing wrong with expecting a high level of cleanliness in one's stateroom. I am one who disinfects everything in a room as soon as I get in there. I have worked as a hotel manager for years, and know all too well how unsanitary these rooms are (even when they look spotless). My issue with the OP is his obnoxious technique at insuring a clean room. If he's not happy with the room after a first inspection, he has a "matter-of-fact" discussion with the room steward? How about at first saying to the steward, "Hi, how are you?" and engaging in a dialogue. I have had issues in the past and I have always approached the steward with a smile and a friendly request, and the room steward has quickly corrected the issue with a smile. The OP acts as if these employees are his indentured servants to talk down to and get things done through passive-aggressiveness. And the action of going right to the hotel manager (with an audience) is going to get the employee fired. There is an appropriate chain of command to complain to, which is only fair to all involved.

No, this issue isn't about cleanliness. It's about someone's attitude of superiority over another person they feel is lesser than they are. The hotel brand I work for has a philosophy that we are all "ladies and gentlemen, working with ladies and gentlemen" and treat each other as such.

I don't know if this thread is more pointless or disturbing.

Michael

I think the title of this post - "Quality Control Audit of Cabin Steward" - describes all the problems that the OP has. How many cruisers feel that they have to do a QC audit before they start a cruise? Not many, I would bet.

Now a multiple QC audit of the quality of the drinks served on board might be in order but not of the room.

DON

I don't know if this thread is more pointless or disturbing.

Maybe it's just to stir a pot and get a reaction. ;)

All I know is that this is not how I want to fling my customer status around no matter where I'm at...a restaurant, store, cruise, hotel, etc. I can't imagine what a joy folks like this bring to others who take on a "I'm going to show you just how wrong you are" approach like this. Wonder how they act in other people's homes?

Edited by mickeysgal

I have worked as a hotel manager for years

And the action of going right to the hotel manager (with an audience) is going to get the employee fired.

One person saying 1 thing to the HD will get a staff member fired? How punitive do you think X is (or were you to your staff to even consider this is a probable outcome...)? I'd expect they would offer training and coaching and counseling initially, perhaps allowing for 3 or so such coaching sessions, rather than a simple firing for 1 bad interaction. With or without "an audience".

I've never hard of a hotel manager firing an employee over a single relatively insignificant issues, repeated violations or criminal acts, yes, but 1 incident, never.

I suppose it's possible it happens, but I bet it's certainly not normal.

I don't see anything that is wrong with Fred's or CLE's approach. When I get onboard, I have the ship staff, those that who will have the privilege to serve me, line up and I walk up and down the ranks General Patton style. I address them about my expectations for the upcoming cruise. If they don't meet my expectations, they and the whole ship will hear about it.

Dear NJ Fred,

Thank you for your diligence. To be absolutely thorough with your "Quality Control Audit of Cabin Steward" I humbly suggest adding to your inspection the following which I ardently pursue upon entering my cabin well before I consider unpacking, or opening the cabin's sparkling wine awaiting consumption:

- Finger wipe of the ceiling (Dust mites parachuting on to passenger's faces while sleeping is a concern that has me performing this check twice daily. Standing on the cabin's chair in your shoes is very helpful for this. And if the cabin steward does not clean your shoe's imprints afterwards, he or she should be disciplined.)

- Pulling off all bed-sheets and flipping the mattress to check for stains hidden on the underside. (I so worry of catching unspeakable social-diseases from what may lie below my bedding.)

- Black-light your sheets and bathroom (I thank Anthony Melchiorri, host of Hotel Impossible, for this tid-bit. You may find portable ultraviolet lights that fit comfortably into your carry-on cheaply online.)

- Sniff the drapes (Only the best-of-the best cabin stewards fluff and deodorize twice daily a cabin's drapery.)

I'm surprised and disappointed that you do not finger wipe picture frames. As a devoted viewer of Hotel Impossible, I never accept a hotel room, cruise cabin, or my best friend's guest room should there be the slightest trace of gray left on my fingers after a frame wipe.

I wish you many sanitized cruises with cabin stewards who meet both of our minimal expectations without our having worry of fiberglass strands placed between our sheets.

Brilliant.

My original post was an attempt at sarcasm. The issue that I have is that it some cruisers cannot see the forest for the trees. They focus on minutiae (dust bunnies, torn carpet, lightbulbs, etc.) and forgot about the joy of being on a cruise. If one looks hard enough, you can always find issues. If there reasonable issues the should be addressed, by all means work with the steward or the appropriate person in a professional manner so the situation to be remedied.

Sorry. I'm calling this one.

Me thinks maybe you saw a induced thingy from the (fill in the blank)

edit

Date, ship,itinerary and details of how you made the complaint.

"Induced thingy?" What's that?

When it was clear that something was messing with the contents of (large) bag of pretzels that was left open (my bad) on a chair (to satisfy the cross examination question, the bag fell to the floor and was still moving) as we both left the room and went to the front desk (conveniently on the same deck as our room).

The ship was the Sitmar Fairwind and had just sailed from St. Croix on a cruise from San Juan to Acapulco in the late spring of 1988. (Sorry, but I don't remember the exact dates or booking number or the name of the cabin steward.)

Hope that is responsive, but if not, please feel free to undertake a recross. It would also help if you expressed why you have reservations about my description of our experience.