Question about washing clothes

Hobbitmomma

Has anyone tried bringing Woolite or the like and rinsing a few things out in the sink? Do they dry in a timely manner? (What with the humidity in the Caribbean and all) I want to bring work out clothes but I was hoping to only bring two sets and just hand wash and wear again rather than 6 sets. Thanks.

Has anyone tried bringing Woolite or the like and rinsing a few things out in the sink? Do they dry in a timely manner? (What with the humidity in the Caribbean and all) I want to bring work out clothes but I was hoping to only bring two sets and just hand wash and wear again rather than 6 sets. Thanks.

We have found it takes a long time for things to dry. However, I have it on supreme authority that if you roll the clothes in a towel, and then sit on the rolled up towels, you can reduce the drying time significantly.

If you do decide to hand wash, roll the clothes in dry towels afterwards to get most of the water out. Just ask your steward for a few extra bath towels. Hang them in the main cabin, not the bathroom, to get more air flow and they should dry just fine overnight.

If you do decide to hand wash, roll the clothes in dry towels afterwards to get most of the water out. Just ask your steward for a few extra bath towels. Hang them in the main cabin, not the bathroom, to get more air flow and they should fry just fine overnight.

But will they burn?

I have never taken more than 2 sets of workout clothes, space is a premium in my suitcase. My workout clothes are quick dry, so it's never been a problem. I do the same thing with some travel underwear to avoid having to bring 7+ pairs.

Insert "You're not allowed to use a clothesline on your balcony" comment here.... (Come on, I'm sure somebody will say it!)

I washed my swimwear and pool cover-up in the shower each evening with the shampoo/soap provided in the dispenser, wool lite would have been a better option, didn't think of that. There was a clothesline in the shower, I dried my swimwear there, but don't forget to take it out before the next person showers! My pool cover-up is a cotton sundress variety, and I attached to one of the chairs on our balcony and let it air dry as we cruised. I went out every few hours on the balcony during the evening and rearranged it so it would dry fully. There was only one night it didn't dry completely, but I never went out and rearranged it the previous night so it could have been my fault. I had to use the hairdryer on it the next morning. It didn't feel sticky from the humidity. There actually wasn't nearly as much humidity in the Caribbean the week we were there as I had expected, FL was much more humid.

I have been hand washing clothing on cruises for a few years now and this is the method I have found successful. Before that though products with fabric softeners leave a waxy residue on clothing and that may impair the fabric from absorbing water thus reducing its wicking properties for the newer fabrics that dry quickly. Most of my day ware I take on cruises are made of these quick drying fabrics.

For soap I use CampSuds. It is a soap concentrate that many backpackers use and it also comes in a convenient 2oz bottle that is a perfect size for travel. You can buy it locally at most camping/outdoor stores or on Amazon. Wal-Mart also has a generic version.

After washing I roll the clothing up in a towel to reduce the moisture and hang them usually in shower. I have never had any quick drying fabrics take longer then overnight to dry but some of my natural fabrics like my cotton or wool sock may take longer.

Shak

http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Dawn-Campsuds-8oz/dp/B00194BOJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372265418&sr=8-1&keywords=campsuds

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/gear-guy/Why-is-fabric-softener-considered-harmful-to-technical-apparel-.html

I brought a trial size bottle (about 1.5 ounces) of liquid All with me on a B2B last year. Every day I used a bit in the sink to wash bras and other delicates. I squeezed the water out in a towel (didn't wring--I might as well have sent them to the laundry otherwise!) and then hung them over the shower line. Most were dry by dinner, now and then it took until the next morning. At home my bras take a lot longer to dry than my tech wear workout clothes, so I think you'll be fine.

Just because the air outside is humid, it doesn't mean the air conditioned cabin air is.

One caution that I must point out to people who intend on hanging a lot of clothes in their cabin to dry.

DO NOT USE THE SPRINKLER CAGE to hand anything. Many times in my career on cruise ships, we found people who said "I'll be real careful" when hanging a hanger on the sprinkler. The thermal glass bulb (little red thing in the middle) is extremely fragile, and once broken, there is nothing that will stop your cabin from flooding.

When a sprinkler alarm goes off (caused by flow of water in the pipes), the bridge will notify Security to check for a fire, and will also notify the Staff Chief Engineer, who will go to the location of the shut off valve for that sprinkler zone, and when informed by Security that there is no fire, I will shut off the valve and stop the water. I found one cabin where when we opened the door, a 4 foot high wave came out of the cabin into the passageway. Needless to say, those people's belongings were soaked, and the adjoining cabins had water on the carpets.

So, go ahead and feel free to hang your stuff up to dry, just stay well away from the sprinkler.

:eek: The absolute worst place to hang clothes to dry is on your balcony!

Not only are you not suppose to do this ... but things will get some salt spray on them no matter how high up your balcony is!

LuLu

~~~~

We wash out clothes all the time--I do my workout wear because I don't want to bring more than 2-3 sets, and underwear. My husband sometimes even washes out t-shirts.

I have brought Woolite before, but usually just use the bar soap or shampoo provided--works fine (I rinse really well). I usually roll things up in a towel, then either hang in the shower on the clothesline or on the backs of the chairs on the balcony, securing with clips or pins.

Things in the shower dry amazingly fast. Cotton shirts, etc. take longer, of course.

We also do the self-laundry, if a ship has it, and it's a longer cruise.

I pack a sham wow which gets most of the water out, then use a ship's bath towel to wring out more, then hang it on the shower rope. Sometimes, before I go to bed I blow warm air on it with the hair dryer. It'll be dry for sure when you want to wear them since you won't be wearing them the very next day.

I bring about 12 pegs (clothes pins) in a small zip lock bag. They don't take up much room (or add much weight for those who are flying) and clothes dry much quick if pegged (pinned) on the line in the bathroom than when folded over the line. With this method, I find that my "smalls" dry overnight.

I rinse out my 'dainties' using ship provided shampoo. I figure if it is gentle enough for my hair, it is gentle enough for my hand laundry. :) I've done that for years and it has always been satisfactory. I bring small clips and hang the items off the clothes line over the tub.

Archived