Excursion with 3 1/2 year old

cruzinlisa

DH, I and our 3 1/2 year old daughter are sailing on Carnival Elation in October which calls on Progresso. We have never been here before, so I am looking at what to do. I don't usually book Carnival excursions, but willing to do so here, as it sounds like this is not as much of a do it yourself port as Cozumel. And if I am going to book a tour of some kind, I would rather do it with Carnival for peace of mind.

So these are what we are looking at:

1. Corona Beach party- Pros- all inclusive and has a beach

Cons- I hear it is a little "spring breakish" and we will have a child

2. Ruins- the ones that are nearby. They start with a D and I cannot begin to spell it. With this we have the option of ruins only, ruins with beach break (to Corona beach) or ruins with rodeo and lunch

Pros- ruins are interesting (at least to DH and I), short drive to the ruins

the one with Lunch and Beach break have All inclusive during that time

Cons- may be hot and ruins and not sure if a child would be bored

if we take beach break- reviews say its 1 hour or less and its Corona beach (see above)

with Rodeo- some people have said its boring, others liked it

3. Salsa and Salsa

Pros- This is something that sounds fun to me and it includes a few drinks

Cons- not sure if DD would enjoy or be in the way

also, this excursion is fairly expensive (most of all of them)

4. Open to other suggestions

Not taking DD is not an option, so I have to work with what I have. If it were DH and I only, we would probably go to Chichen Itza.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

If the flamingos are around at the Celestun biosphere reserve (maybe 70 miles), maybe your daughter would enjoy seeing these bright pink birds. There is also the opportunity for a cenote swim.

The ruins at Dzi-bil-chal-tun also have a cenote for a refreshing swim. Water usually keeps kids that age happy :-)

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Also at Dzibilchaltun there is an air-conditioned museum. The ruins themselves are amazing but are pretty spread out for a toddler to walk/be carried.

You are correct about the Corona Beach break. I wouldn't have taken one of my kids there at that age.

In looking at excursions myself I noticed a new one (to me) that Carnival is offering now. It's called something like the White and Golden City tour. You first tour Merida (which you could also do as an excursion by itself) then Izamal. On the second stop there is a horse drawn buggy ride around the town. That might be an option to look at.

Edited by grantbob