Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Asia

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old October 27th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Shoes in temples?

Not to be disrespectful, but I have very bad foot problems and I NEVER walk without shoes. What do I do to be able to tour the various religious sites of Asia (Bangkok and Beijing) without flaring up plantar faciitis? Would carrying a cane or walking stick notify others that I have medical problems and need the shoes/medical inserts?

Barbara and Walter
Bowie, Md.

2014Oceanic Discoverer New Zealand South Island
2013 Disney Dream 2012Diamond Princess The Orient route Star Princess Cape Horn Route SA 2011M/V Evolution Galapagos Islands 2011 Uniworld River Duchess Tulips/windmills;2010 Crown Princess Canada/New England;2010 Coral Princess Panama Canal;2009 Oceania Nautica Greece and Turkey;2008 Cunard QM2 Southern Caribbean;2008 Celebrity Constellation Iberia & TA;2007 Majestic American Queen of West ColumbiaR;2006 Princess Star Princess Baltic;2004 Princess Tahitian Princess South Pacific;2003 Viking River Cruises Clara Schumann Elbe R;2002 Coral Princess (Aust) Coral Princess2 Reef;2001 Princess Royal Princess Norwegian Fijords;2000 Jungle Expeditions La Turmalina Amazon R;1999 Disney Magic Bahamas;1998 RCCL Enchanment of Seas Western Carib.;1996 Princess Star Princess (old) Alaska;1994 RCCL Monarch of the Seas Southern Carib;1990 RCCL Nordic Prince Bermuda;1987 RCCL Sun Viking Eastern Carib.

Old October 27th, 2011, 10:35 PM
40,000+ Club

Not sure that the asians are as aware of medical conditions as in other parts of the world. You may not be allowed in with shoes and in some cases even socks are prohibited.

Old October 28th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Beijing: Most temples that are open to tours do not have a "shoe removal" policy.

However if you should be invited to a family residence keep a keen eye out on the foyer or doorway, if you see a line of shoes, the family takes their shoes off. As a guest they will insist that you don't have to comply and can keep your shoes on, but protocol will requires you to at least insist that you do have to take your shoes off. Tell them you have a minor medical issue and apologize for not taking off your shoes. After your visit, apologize again.

Having a walking stick or cane will NOT, silently anyways, show you have a medical issue that is not readily seen.

Oh, some families will have "guest slippers" for you to use.

Last edited by Philob; October 28th, 2011 at 07:36 PM.

Old October 31st, 2011, 07:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Shoes in Temple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie MeMe View Post
Not to be disrespectful, but I have very bad foot problems and I NEVER walk without shoes. What do I do to be able to tour the various religious sites of Asia (Bangkok and Beijing) without flaring up plantar faciitis? Would carrying a cane or walking stick notify others that I have medical problems and need the shoes/medical inserts?
Our private tour guide took us into a temple and we were REQUIRED to remove our shoes or could not enter it. Also, we had to remove our shoes (not sox) when we visited the giant reclining budha. It is only for a few minutes and then you are off to see another site. Hopefully, you will be able to work this out.

Old October 31st, 2011, 07:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were in China in March on a Viking River Cruise and never removed our shoes anywhere. We were told NOT to step on the high step over the doorway.

SAILED: Viking, Portraits of Southern France. 2006
SAILED: Uniworld, Castles Along the Rhine, 2007
SAILED: Gate 1, Thanksgiving Cruise, 2007
SAILED: AMA Waterways, Portugal on the Douro, 2008
SAILED: Grand Circle: Romance of the Rhine and Mosel, 2010
SAILED
: Viking Emerald, China's Cultural Delights. 3/28/2011
SAILED: Grand Circle: Old World Prague and the Blue Danube. September 7, 2011. MS River Adagio
SAILED: Viking Spirit, Paris to Normandy. December 11, 2011.
SAILED: Grand Circle's Essence of the Elbe: Hamburg to Prague on the M/S River Allegro on May 27 to June 11, 2012
SAILED: Grand Circle Russia Revealed with pretrip to Helsinki and Tallinn on August 18, 2012. St. Petersburg to Moscow.
SAILED: Viking Sun, Treasures of the Rhine. Nov 11, 2012.
SAILED: AMACerto, Istanbul to Budapest. May 30, 2013.
SAILED: Uniworld River Queen, Classic Christmas Markets, Nuremberg to Frankfurt. Dec 5, 2013.
SAILED: Vantage Travel, Croatian Odyssey & Venice with Lake Bled, Slovenia pretrip. M/Y Harmony G __________________________________________

Grand Circle: Burma & the Irrawaddy River with Phnom Penh and Angkor Wat pretrip. 11/25 to 12/16 2014. Ship: RV Paukan

Grand Circle: Spain's Northern Coast & the Bay of Biscay with a pretrip to Maidera. 4/30/2015 to 5/21/2015. Ship: Corinthian