Burma/Myanmar river cruises

HDS

I haven't done a river cruise in Myanmar/Burma, but recently returned from a Mekong cruise on a Pandaw ship (in this case leased to Viking). Pandaw began its operations on the Irrawaddy and their ships are quite comfortable and a pleasant way to travel. Based on my experiences on the Mekong, I am considering a trip with Pandaw in Burma. They have a number of interesting itineraries.

https://www.pandaw.com/index.php

My wife and I took a river trip on the Irrawaddy River in Myanmar a few years ago. The ship was called the Road to Mandaly and was booked through A & K (Abercrombie & Kent) travel services. In essence, it was a magic carpet ride, and we highly recommend this unique experience. Our first few days were spend in an old but magnificent hotel in Rangoon (Yangoon) prior to boarding the ship which went all the way up to close to the Chinese border and back. We visited temples, small villages, and were privy to special experiences only available to this trip and A & K travelers. As I remember, the trip was somewhere between 1-2 weeks. The people of Burma were wonderful, and I would suggest you visit this country now since it appears that the government is encouraging more tourism and, as a result, might lose some of its charm and uniqueness. Safe, enchanting, gourmet food, special tours and events. I would be glad to attempt to answer any specific questions.

• 3 months later...
Can anyone relate experiences of river cruises in Burma/Myanmar?

I did with a 15 year old Grandson in 2010 the Pandaw Mekong river cruise and it was outstanding. and had been waiting for the political climate to change which it has and have booked in July, 2013 the 14 day Yangon (Rangoon) to Mandalay on Pandaw. It is a totally different experience from European or even the Yangtze River in China as you will be getting on and off the ship where there is no dock and scrambling up a river bank at times. Pandaw ships are unique but practical and comfortable.

• 5 months later...

Just returned from 18 night trip in Burma, cruising on Pandaw II Prome to Katha and all stops inbetween.The boat is in the old style of teak and brass, spacious cabin, lots of storage, walk in shower etc. Kimono style dressing gown and slippers provided.Two wicker chairs outside your cabin to watch the amazing views along the river.On the top of the boat is a social area, with lounger chairs.The staff on the Pandaw made our trip quite amazing, to drinking champagne on Lake Taungthaman to mooring on a sandbank in the middle of the Irrawaddy River for a cocktail party quite incredible.We visited villages along the way without another tourist insight, villagers came out to greet us, smiling and waving.The crew were extremely helpful, as getting up the banks of the Irrawaddy can be difficult for some less able bodied passengers, but they did it with a smile everytime. The food was excellent, lots of choices and beautifully presented.We had no complaints a trip of a lifetime.Problems in Burma are on India/Burmese border, nowhere near where we travelled on Irrawaddy.

I haven't done a river cruise in Myanmar/Burma, but recently returned from a Mekong cruise on a Pandaw ship (in this case leased to Viking). Pandaw began its operations on the Irrawaddy and their ships are quite comfortable and a pleasant way to travel. Based on my experiences on the Mekong, I am considering a trip with Pandaw in Burma. They have a number of interesting itineraries.

https://www.pandaw.com/index.php

have a question about ships.Photo doesn t show windows on website and states,no private balcony.How was your Pandow ship cabin?:confused:

Hi,

I haven't done the Burma cruise yet, but I am doing an Irrawady River Cruise solo with Grand Circle Travel in December. The cruise is on a new, chartered Pandaw ship and looks wonderful. The tour begins in Bangkok and then you are flown to Yangoon (Rangoon). I'm very excited about the trip, and am also doing the pre-cruise trip to Ankor Wat. Should be a trip of a lifetime!:D

GCT always does an outstanding job of organizing their tours.

Hi,

I haven't done the Burma cruise yet, but I am doing an Irrawady River Cruise solo with Grand Circle Travel in December. The cruise is on a new, chartered Pandaw ship and looks wonderful. The tour begins in Bangkok and then you are flown to Yangoon (Rangoon). I'm very excited about the trip, and am also doing the pre-cruise trip to Ankor Wat. Should be a trip of a lifetime!:D

GCT always does an outstanding job of organizing their tours.

will order a brochure. Was always leary of that company ,had a few bad reviews in past. Hopefully,its changed. Can you use a TA to book(or just from them?).

Just got back from Ankor Wat(on AMA Vietnam/Cambodia cruise).It was GREAT,but very physical.Lots of stairs,climbs,heat,etc.So be prepared.Some chose NOT to do whole thing,and just wander around base and meet up later.PS.get on that stair climber hahaha.;)

will order a brochure. Was always leary of that company ,had a few bad reviews in past. Hopefully,its changed. Can you use a TA to book(or just from them?).

Just got back from Ankor Wat(on AMA Vietnam/Cambodia cruise).It was GREAT,but very physical.Lots of stairs,climbs,heat,etc.So be prepared.Some chose NOT to do whole thing,and just wander around base and meet up later.PS.get on that stair climber hahaha.;)

Hi Alexandra,

Thanks for your tip about Ankor Wat--I'd better start the stair climber now!:D

GCT is really an excellent company. I've talked to many people who have taken numerous tours with them and have loved it. I know a few who have gone on 12 or more GCT trips! I don't think you will be disappointed. Their communications with me have been outstanding, so far.

• 3 months later...
have a question about ships.Photo doesn t show windows on website and states,no private balcony.How was your Pandow ship cabin?:confused:

Pandaw boats are as pictured on their website. Outside "prominade deck" each cabin opens off this with a sliding glass door and sliding louvre door and curtains. Two rattan chairs and table outside each cabin on the deck. Upper deck usually undercover with outdoor furniture. We actually had a window as we were in first cabin at the front.:)

Viking has mover into this market in 2014. We are going on a 14 day cruise/tour with them in January 2014 that starts and ends in Bangkok. I believe that they leased their ship from Pandaw. Viking named it the Viking Mandalay. This ship has only 30 cabins, 60 guests. I have been fortunate to see China in the 80's and want to visit Myanmar before it becomes too westernized.

We have also scheduled four days in Siem Reap prior to the Viking trip.

Viking has mover into this market in 2014. We are going on a 14 day cruise/tour with them in January 2014 that starts and ends in Bangkok. I believe that they leased their ship from Pandaw. Viking named it the Viking Mandalay. This ship has only 30 cabins, 60 guests. I have been fortunate to see China in the 80's and want to visit Myanmar before it becomes too westernized.

We have also scheduled four days in Siem Reap prior to the Viking trip.

I went on a one day tour from Macao into China in 1981. We had four guys at the back of the bus that were likely from the secret police.

Many people wore the black pajamas and we saw water buffalo in the fields. There were very few cars on the roads. Amazing how much China has changed.

We did this trip on the Irrawaddy 10 years ago. The boat was Orient Express owned and the service is the best we have ever had on any trip. Fascinating Country. The temples of Bagan and just magical. The Burmese people are lovely.

We went before it was politically correct to go and were very glad we did. We had no problems and felt very hopeful that the country would improve which it subsequently has.

I went on a one day tour from Macao into China in 1981. We had four guys at the back of the bus that were likely from the secret police.

Many people wore the black pajamas and we saw water buffalo in the fields. There were very few cars on the roads. Amazing how much China has changed.

That is exactly why we are going on this cruise. I did business in China in the mid 80's. Still not many cars, no credit cards, cash only, official start date of winter when they can turn the heat on. Fantastic scenery, great people. I had bright red hair in those days and remember a time when we were stopped in traffic with a bus along side. I got out of the car and the people in the bus all moved over to the side I was on to look at me. I guess a person with red hair was pretty strange to them. We want to see Myanmar before it changes.

I am particularly attracted by the Pandaw boats. The old style elegance is so much more atmospheric than a modern one with balconies and all hermetically sealed against the world outside. The idea of a couple of rattan chairs outside our rooms to just watch the worls sail by sounds absolutely perect to me...........

Love these reviews!

Would love to do a cruise on one of the Pandaw ships

Sound fascinating - very old world - perfect for that area, scenery etc.

Any other cruises to Burma recommended??

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

so glad to read these posts about Burma. Please DO post here after you return. We are planning to go there in 2015. We also want to see it unspoiled as we were also in China in the 80's. I had blond hair then and people came right up to my face to stare at me.

Sheila

Love these reviews!

Would love to do a cruise on one of the Pandaw ships

Sound fascinating - very old world - perfect for that area, scenery etc.

Any other cruises to Burma recommended??

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We have signed up for a Vantage Burma cruise for October. They use a chartered Pandaw II ship.

Chose them because of their itinerary-starts in Bangkok, but goes directly to Burma. Other US cruises (GCT, Viking) start w/a Bangkok tour, which we have already done. Also, starts at an airport hotel, so airport transfers no problem.

First time w/Vantage after having sailed w/Viking, GCT, Uniworld, AMA. Will let you know how they compare when we get back.

FYI there are a ton of discussions about Burma cruises on Tripadvisor, check the Myanmar forum there and use search for Pandaw or other cruise line - they are mostly for Pandaw, but a few for Madarin Oriental. There are some knowledgeable folks there too.

We are booked in November for a 2 week cruise on the Irrawaddy.

My comment to the person concerned about possible engine noise on the main deck - the boats do not cruise at night.

Edited by spikemom

Thanks Spikemom, we have booked a lower deck cabin on the cruise departing Yangon on October 26. Relieved to hear that there won't be engine noise while we are sleeping.

Just sorting land content and international air bookings now. I have used Trip Advisor extensively.

I will write reviews and post on this board when we return. Meanwhile, hope to hear from other returning travellers before then.

Edited by HDS
incomplete