Ideas for Palermo?

sjde

We will be here for 8 hours on a cruise in November and also stopping in Trapani. We are trying to decide if we should just stroll around the main area on our own, or take a day trip somewhere. Any suggestions?

I love the Palermo question because we have a suggestion :). Do some Google research on the Capuchin Catacombs (there are a few of these around Italy so you need to use "Palermo" in your search). This is one of the most macabre (for lack of a better word) places we have ever visited. It is possible to get out to that place via the local buses or a taxi (which cost more then the buses).

Hank

We used Don Saro as a private guide. He was amazing! He has many options, and was adaptable when the weather was not good for what we had planned.

For the second part of the day, we played in a restaurant with a real chef and made our own lunch. An extremely memorable experience.

I love the Palermo question because we have a suggestion :). Do some Google research on the Capuchin Catacombs (there are a few of these around Italy so you need to use "Palermo" in your search). This is one of the most macabre (for lack of a better word) places we have ever visited. It is possible to get out to that place via the local buses or a taxi (which cost more then the buses).

Hank

how much was the taxi or which bus?

Sorry to say my memory is not that good (its been about 6 or 7 years). I imagine a taxi would be about 12 Euros (give or take a couple). As to the bus it might be correct if I told you to take the 327 bus which goes from Piazza Independencia but you would have to know where to get off that bus and they may have changed the routes (or even the bus numbers) in the past few years. My advice would be to copy the address from the internet and then stop at the tourist office for a bus map and directions. As I recall the bus does not stop in front of the obscure entrance so you have to walk a couple of blocks from the bus stop.

When we visited it was more unknown then it is these days. At one time you would enter and there would be monk sitting at a table. He would look you up and down and either nod (which meant you could give him a donation and enter) or he would ignore you (which meant you could not visit). We have heard that since its become well known they will now allow anyone inside including small tour groups.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 6 months later...

327 bus which goes from Piazza Independencia will drop you almost at the door.

Bus tickets

Ordinary ticket - € 1.40 validity - 90 ' - Purchased on board the bus from the driver, the higher price of € 0.40

Day Ticket - € 3.50 - validity on the day

The bus company's website is http://www.amat.pa.it/

I hope that will help

Edited by mbeginner

327 bus which goes from Piazza Independencia will drop you almost at the door.

Bus tickets

Ordinary ticket - € 1.40 validity - 90 ' - Purchased on board the bus from the driver, the higher price of € 0.40

Day Ticket - € 3.50 - validity on the day

The bus company's website is http://www.amat.pa.it/

I hope that will help

tHIS REALLY DOES HELP.

We ended up taking a cab from the port to the crypts which cost us 25euro. The buses were running on a holiday schedule and at the bus stops the locals told us that the buses were not running that day. We walked back to the port and stopped at the Palermo cathedral and Opera house for a short tour.

We then went to the archiological museum which was closed but stopped for lunch and a few local beers at a bar across the square.

Had a great day in a city which threw us a lot of surprises. The crypt wasn't bad, but not the hi-lite of the day. The cab was a lot but I had read on trip advisor that it would be so I wasn't that shocked.

We will be here for 8 hours on a cruise in November and also stopping in Trapani. We are trying to decide if we should just stroll around the main area on our own, or take a day trip somewhere. Any suggestions?

Off topic, but need some help...

We are traveling to Sicily for two weeks in October. We have rented an apartment in Agrigento as our home base. We need a hotel for one night near the airport since we have a 7AM flight. I have searched and b&b's were recommended. I am considering booking one, but am just asking if anyone has a hotel/b&b that they stayed in that they liked near the airport.

Thanks,

Kathy

We ended up taking a cab from the port to the crypts which cost us 25euro. The buses were running on a holiday schedule and at the bus stops the locals told us that the buses were not running that day. We walked back to the port and stopped at the Palermo cathedral and Opera house for a short tour.

We then went to the archiological museum which was closed but stopped for lunch and a few local beers at a bar across the square.

Had a great day in a city which threw us a lot of surprises. The crypt wasn't bad, but not the hi-lite of the day. The cab was a lot but I had read on trip advisor that it would be so I wasn't that shocked.

The archaeological museum has been closed for several years now for renovation. As far as I know, there is no date set yet for when it will reopen.

We were not too impressed with the city of Palermo, which may be due to our lack of preparation. We just walked from the port to the center and walked around there, so possibly missed the nicer parts of it.

We were not too impressed with the city of Palermo, which may be due to our lack of preparation. We just walked from the port to the center and walked around there, so possibly missed the nicer parts of it.

Its the areas around Palermo that are impressive.

There is a HOHO bus that goes all around the city. We took that and got off at the closest stop to the catacombs.....still had to walk a bit but it wasn't too far. We enjoyed the bus tour though it can get crowded but that is the case anywhere with the HOHO buses.

There is a HOHO bus that goes all around the city. We took that and got off at the closest stop to the catacombs.....still had to walk a bit but it wasn't too far. We enjoyed the bus tour though it can get crowded but that is the case anywhere with the HOHO buses.

Yes, the HOHO buses can be fun for a day or two. We did the three routes offered in Hong Kong with a multiday ticket.