One month in Europe, 12 night cruise, all from a carryon? Am I crazy?

sweetpea222

also do NOT choose air new zealand if you are

only using carry on as you only get 15 pounds for 1 carryon !!!

so even if the luggage weighed 4 pounds,

who in the world can travel w/ only 11 pounds ?:eek:

we had 2 check ins weighing 48 each :D

These tiny carry on allowances are typical of all Australian (and Pacific) airlines and given that most solid bags start at 2.5-3.5kgs it's easy to exceed the weight! Qantas is the most generous with 2 pieces allowed (but reputation has them as the most expensive unless you get a ripper sale deal). Jetstar allow 2 pieces TOTALLING 10kgs with no one piece allowed to be more than 7kgs. Virgin Australia are 1 @ 7kg + a "personal item". Tiger are INCREDIBLY strict and will weigh EVERYTHING and their excess fees are horrendous. Qantas and Virgin rarely weigh carry on but if you obviously have large bags or many bags you are likely to get questioned. And if you're flying domestically into any non capital city airports the overhead bins won't be big enough to fit a "legal" bag - I've been caught by that myself - thank god for packing cubes is all that saved my bacon that day! Qantas to Lorde Howe Island is 15kg max check in! Similar to many regional destinations.

I suspect our carryon sizes are generally smaller than those in the US too (around 30lt max) Where I've read many blogs of people going "carryon only" with 17kg 60lt backpacks in the US - you'd never get away with that here I'm afraid. A weekend away carryon only here is a challenge! That being said I don't think it's as common for checkin bags to go missing as it is in the US. It is also interesting to note that when we fly to the continental US the baggage allowances are usually DOUBLE that of the allowance to ANY other international destination. Well played US whoever set that standard!

The airlines here are pretty clear on their websites what the allowances are so with a little planning you shouldn't get any nasty surprises. :) I recently went through China with a Chinese airline (5 flights) and their international and domestic luggage weight rules were pretty much the same as here.

• 4 weeks later...

Right now, I'm obsessed with trying to pack light, so I love this thread. At the end of June, we will be in Paris for 7 days; then we'll be taking the Eurostar to London (luggage limits). A ride from there to Southampton for a 14-day Norway and Iceland cruise, so the weather might vary by a good 20°. I know layers will be key.

Because I'm a visual person, I like the packing light ideas from adventure chic:

http://www.adventure-chic.com/packing-light-mediterranean-cruise-in-winter/. And as other posters have said, I love the Vivienne Files, too.

I just finished packing for two weeks, four days in LA including a business meeting, and 10 days in Tahiti. Got it all in my 20" roll on and my cross body, with room to spare. We will have to check one bag only because we have sunblock and bug spray to bring along.

We had considered buying it there, but didn't want to chance not being able to find the specific products we wanted this time around.

Right now, I'm obsessed with trying to pack light, so I love this thread. At the end of June, we will be in Paris for 7 days; then we'll be taking the Eurostar to London (luggage limits). A ride from there to Southampton for a 14-day Norway and Iceland cruise, so the weather might vary by a good 20°. I know layers will be key.

Because I'm a visual person, I like the packing light ideas from adventure chic:

http://www.adventure-chic.com/packing-light-mediterranean-cruise-in-winter/. And as other posters have said, I love the Vivienne Files, too.

unless you are flying where the weight limit

is up to 50 lbs for a carry on, just check in

1 large spinner suitcase & a tote carry on

which will attach to your handle making

your trip more manageable - unless you are

a tiny person with only a few changes of clothing :eek:

that emily of adventure chic really did make a lot of nice outfits

for the 3 weeks - just wish i were young again !!!!;)

unless you are flying where the weight limit

is up to 50 lbs for a carry on, just check in

1 large spinner suitcase & a tote carry on

which will attach to your handle making

your trip more manageable - unless you are

a tiny person with only a few changes of clothing :eek:

I got stuck in Africa without my suitcase making it. I'll never do that again! I pack my daily clothes in my 20" and DH and I pack all of our formal wear and incidentals in one checked bag. If I don't get to my destination with fancy dinner wear, my toiletries and comfort items, I'll survive. At least we'll have our regular clothes!

I agree. Vivienne Files are more my style and age group. Did you know that 24 items can make 12 dozen outfits? Her navy and beige grouping of April 18 will be the basis of my packing scheme for our Norwegian cruise in June. http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com/

We're doing the Land of the Midnight Sun in June. It will cover much of the same area your cruise does. The word that we've gotten from those who have done it before is to scotch guard your shoes and a pair of jeans. Also to bring a pair of long silky underwear (top and bottom). I like Cuddl duds http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=+cuddl+duds&tag=googhydr-20&index=apparel&hvadid=31800651677&hvpos=1t3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1020745398309834337&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_552o03n2ab_e They're inexpensive and very comfortable. Will work for pjs if you want to cut down on your packing.

We are told you'll also need fleece jacket, windbreaker to fit over fleece, hat, gloves, heavy socks and a scarf. She also took the hand and foot warmers that you smack to activate. In her pictures you can see how snowy and cold it is. :eek: Just when you think you're getting away from the super cold winter we've had!:rolleyes: Paying to go back to it!!!:p

Edited by 5326jan

I got stuck in Africa without my suitcase making it. I'll never do that again! I pack my daily clothes in my 20" and DH and I pack all of our formal wear and incidentals in one checked bag. If I don't get to my destination with fancy dinner wear, my toiletries and comfort items, I'll survive.

I agree, I always pack in my 20". I can fit all my clothes plus my 3-1-1 bag which is enough toiletries for a couple weeks anyhow for me. My makeup goes into my small personal item always. That is something very expensive and not easy to replace if it goes missing.

I agree, I always pack in my 20". I can fit all my clothes plus my 3-1-1 bag which is enough toiletries for a couple weeks anyhow for me. My makeup goes into my small personal item always. That is something very expensive and not easy to replace if it goes missing.

i admire how you put all those items together in your 20" -

how much does it weigh when fully packed ?

in the airlines you have flown, what is their limit for carry on ?

is your makeup all dry items so that they allow that in your personal item ?

also anxious to hear how you enjoyed the paul gaugin cruise -

from all reviews, sounds fabulous !!

But it is a jumping point for whatever age you are. Switch the styles of pants, the 'young' skirt and leggings. Maybe switch out the camis for more 'mature' tops. It is a good plan to follow.

I was amazed at the amount of luggage some pax were taking off our Sapphire cruise in March while waiting for DH to pick us up. Many were coming out with two 26" cases + + + each. We packed heavy with a 24" and a tote each.

But it is a jumping point for whatever age you are. Switch the styles of pants, the 'young' skirt and leggings. Maybe switch out the camis for more 'mature' tops. It is a good plan to follow.

I was amazed at the amount of luggage some pax were taking off our Sapphire cruise in March while waiting for DH to pick us up. Many were coming out with two 26" cases + + + each. We packed heavy with a 24" and a tote each.

we drove - an hour away from san pedro -

we were on the march 1 - 11 - that might have been our luggage you saw -

2 29", 2 22" - all spinners, 2 totes !!! :eek: but that's cuz

we took our snorkel & goggles :D:p:)

but to be serious, agree about the "whatever age" style of clothes -

the problem is i do not wear white tops, beige, black which is what

most of the travel experts say to coordinate - all my clothes are colorful -

purple, lavender, fuschia, lime, plain & florals - although most can be worn

with jeans for day & white slacks & purple skirt for dinner - so i just need

to limit what i should pack for next year - will wash before we leave

ship & be ready for the land travel in sweden

we are going to try for 1 29" spinner each with large tote on top of each

which will be a challenge but at least we won't have any snorkel

gear on that trip !!! :D

Edited by loma linda ca a & j

i admire how you put all those items together in your 20" -

how much does it weigh when fully packed ?

in the airlines you have flown, what is their limit for carry on ?

is your makeup all dry items so that they allow that in your personal item ?

also anxious to hear how you enjoyed the paul gaugin cruise -

from all reviews, sounds fabulous !!

28-29 pounds fully packed.

I usually fly US and they claim to have a 40 pound weight limit for hand luggage, but mine has never, ever been weighed. I'm on Air France to Tahiti, theirs is 39 pounds. With my "small personal item" I'll go over the max, so my DH will carry on my crossbody (has my DSLR which is why it's heavy) and his backpack which between them will be about 25 pounds, and I'll roll on the suitcase.

I have mostly dry items, I carry a small tube of Smashbox primer that has never raised eyebrows, plus mascara, lip gloss, etc., which they also don't seem to care about. Worst case scenario, it would fit into my 3-1-1 bag.

we drove - an hour away from san pedro -

we were on the march 1 - 11 - that might have been our luggage you saw -

2 29", 2 22" - all spinners, 2 totes !!! :eek: but that's cuz

we took our snorkel & goggles :D:p:)

but to be serious, agree about the "whatever age" style of clothes -

the problem is i do not wear white tops, beige, black which is what

most of the travel experts say to coordinate - all my clothes are colorful -

purple, lavender, fuschia, lime, plain & florals - although most can be worn

with jeans for day & white slacks & purple skirt for dinner - so i just need

to limit what i should pack for next year - will wash before we leave

ship & be ready for the land travel in sweden

we are going to try for 1 29" spinner each with large tote on top of each

which will be a challenge but at least we won't have any snorkel

gear on that trip !!! :D

I coordinate colorful tops (lots of fuscia!) with black, white, and beige bottoms.

Edited by ducklite

I had planned to travel light to FL on my latest trip but ended up with a 29" checked bag, a small, rolling computer bag, and a big tote bag. Oh yeah, and a bag of snacks! LOL!:D To be fair...the 29" was about 1/3 empty and held some sunglasses and other accessories I was taking to give to my SIL, which she really loved! Coming back it was totally full because of some new clothing I bought and some antique stuff I also purchased at my all-time-favorite, vintage store. I just couldn't make it work this trip. Maybe another time! Never say never!;)

Edited by mousey

I had planned to travel light to FL on my latest trip but ended up with a 29" checked bag, a small, rolling computer bag, and a big tote bag. Oh yeah, and a bag of snacks! LOL!:D To be fair...the 29" was about 1/3 empty and held some sunglasses and other accessories I was taking to give to my SIL, which she really loved! Coming back it was totally full because of some new clothing I bought and some antique stuff I also purchased at my all-time-favorite, vintage store. I just couldn't make it work this trip. Maybe another time! Never say never!;)

No need to sweat it. Everybody should do what works for them.

I used to pack a ton of stuff, but one day I saw the light after I nearly fell down a very steep and scary escalator in the London Tube because I was trying to manage a wheeled suitcase that was way too big and heavy. :eek: Then I carted that stuff from the Tube stop to the hotel....in the rain..... It was too much.

After that I started whittling down things little by little. I still took a lot on my cruise vacations, but after a while I resented the fact that I was spending a whole lot of time packing and unpacking while everyone else was enjoying themselves onboard. So I started cutting down there too, although it's still tempting to bring too much.

There have only been a couple of times when I really missed something that I left at home -- and both times it was because of very unseasonal weather (Lisbon and Turkey) that was waaay warmer than it should've been at that time of year. Both times I was able to find a store pretty easily to buy a couple more short-sleeved shirts. No problemo!

We're doing the Land of the Midnight Sun in June. It will cover much of the same area your cruise does. The word that we've gotten from those who have done it before is to scotch guard your shoes and a pair of jeans. Also to bring a pair of long silky underwear (top and bottom). I like Cuddl duds http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=+cuddl+duds&tag=googhydr-20&index=apparel&hvadid=31800651677&hvpos=1t3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1020745398309834337&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_552o03n2ab_e They're inexpensive and very comfortable. Will work for pjs if you want to cut down on your packing.

We are told you'll also need fleece jacket, windbreaker to fit over fleece, hat, gloves, heavy socks and a scarf. She also took the hand and foot warmers that you smack to activate. In her pictures you can see how snowy and cold it is. :eek: Just when you think you're getting away from the super cold winter we've had!:rolleyes: Paying to go back to it!!!:p

Instead of the fleece jacket, look at the Down Sweater or Nano Puff jacket from Patagonia or the Thermoball jacket by The North Face. You get fleece-jacket warmth, but none of the bulk or weight. I've got the Down Sweater. It has worked for me from mornings/evenings in Kenya to wearing almost every day in the winter where I live (I live in a ski resort town).

I don't say you are 'crazy' as you put it but know it holds no appeal to me to wear the same things 5-10 times in a few weeks. I would pack cautiously but I would not go with only a carryon.

If you do, please let us know how it goes.

I enjoy dressing in style expected for various venues and value being 'appropriate' for too much 'making do'.

JMO, of course.

I don't say you are 'crazy' as you put it but know it holds no appeal to me to wear the same things 5-10 times in a few weeks. I would pack cautiously but I would not go with only a carryon.

I enjoy dressing in style expected for various venues and value being 'appropriate' for too much 'making do'.

JMO, of course.

Those of us who pack small and light are certainly capable of dressing in the style expected for various venues. And, we don't think we are "making do." I think the big thing that keeps people from getting down to manageable luggage is the need to bring different attire for every day and, at times, multiple ensembles for every day… Some of us have no issue with wearing the same thing multiple times. I don't mind spending 5 minutes at night doing a little laundry.

Cruisemom - my epiphany about dragging a big roller came getting off the train from FCO at Termini - I DID fall down trying to get my bag off the train :o Before that, I just swore a blue streak trying to roll that thing over the cobbles and bridges in Venice...

MHO, of course ;)

JMO, of course.

Keep in mind that not all cruises have formal nights and there are several that are elegant casual every night.

Keep in mind that not all cruises have formal nights and there are several that are elegant casual every night.

Quick question...I have been looking at European River Cruises for 2015 and keep seeing "elegant casual". What does that mean for men and women. It's not a term that I am familiar with and am having a difficult time finding an answer. Thanks for the help!

Lisa

Quick question...I have been looking at European River Cruises for 2015 and keep seeing "elegant casual". What does that mean for men and women. It's not a term that I am familiar with and am having a difficult time finding an answer. Thanks for the help!

Lisa

I think of it as "Country Club Casual". Sweater set, sun dress, nice slacks/skirt and top, and for men a button up shirt without a tie and chinos or nice slacks.

Lisa

Look at Eileen Fisher's web site. She pretty much evokes that style for women. Elegant with a sense of casual ease. Think along the lines of Brooks Bros and Ralph Lauren for men. Same idea. Bespoke but not formal. Chinos, oxford, and jacket. Tie is optional.

Keep in mind that Europe does tend to be more formal than the Caribbean and other "warm weather and beaches" types of sailings. That doesn't mean formal attire, but rather just ratchet it up a notch. Black slacks, a black top, and a gorgeous scarf will always work for a lady in Europe, day or night. :)

As the OP of this thread, I'm pleased to see that it's still being discussed...my trip to Europe was almost a year ago :( ... I wish more than anything that we were heading out this summer as well! It was an amazing trip.

So let me share how my packing went, in the hopes that it might help others plan for their own trips :D

First of all, I cannot imagine doing what we did with more than just my carry on (Samsonite 20" expandable) and a purse/bag (I took along a Kipling cross body bag that worked beautifully). Our trip included 3 nights in London, 2 nights in Venice, a 12 night free style Med cruise on NCL, 2 nights in Barcelona and finally 2 full weeks in Paris.

And YES! I managed it all with just my carry on, and there were even a couple of things I brought that I only wore once or not at all. I did buy a few things on our travels, but they were very light and easy to pack in because it was July and HOT HOT HOT the entire trip. We only saw rain once in Rome for about an hour, and then a morning or two in Paris. Packing light is much easier when you are packing summer clothes. I took a rain coat along that I bought at Costco and never wore it once.

My clothing of choice were maxi skirts (black and grey) that I could either dress up or dress down - with a tank top or t-shirt for shore trips, a nicer sleeveless top for dinner. I had two good travel skirts also, one black and one tan, that I paired with light tops for day time and for travel. I took along a pair of cargo capri pants in a grey that I wore a lot, and were easy to wash out and hang dry. I also took along two dresses, one pink travel dress I bought in San Diego before we left that was light and airy and easy to pack, and the other blue faux-wrap dress that I really loved and looked somewhat dressed up on shore excursions to Florence and Toulon, but was light and again washed and dried really well. I lived in dresses and skirts, because it was so hot. I don't do shorts at all, and I'm glad I don't as I did not see many locals wearing shorts in Italy or France, and I wanted to feel like I blended in as much as is possible for a tourist.

I took two pairs of shoes, one really good walking sandal that was black leather and cute with a dress or pants, and a slightly less sturdy sandal that looked great with maxi skirts and worked well for dinner. Both were flats, I did NOT take heels at all. Too much walking, too many surfaces are uneven and slippery. My daughter took a tumble at the Acropolis and cracker her cell phone (which was devastating for a 12 year old girl!) but luckily both she and the phone were ok. But it's easy to slip and fall at these sites, and I saw a couple of women almost unable to move easily because they were wearing these ridiculous high heeled wedge sandals. Crazy.

A sun hat is a MUST if you are there in the summer. It was upwards of 35 degrees many days and really hot. We bought scarves in Venice that worked well too, I just tied it around the end of my bag, covering the zipper (extra security!) and it looked cute but was also functional in Istanbul for covering our heads/shoulders when entering mosques.

In Barcelona we had a bit of trouble getting my case to fit in the guideline holder for EasyJet luggage. It was a bit too wide (stuffed from our cruise) so we re-distributed my things and it worked out ok. They are pretty strict about one bag only, so be aware and try to pack accordingly. In Paris we bought a duffel bag and were able to bring more stuff home that way. We checked our bags all the way home to Canada, which was nice.

All in all it is MORE than doable. But I'm a really low-key dresser. I like to wear skirts and dresses, which fold down to practically nothing so I was able to fit a lot in. I brought tank tops, cute shirts that were flowy and didn't wrinkle much, and I don't wear jewellery or lots of shoes so that wasn't a problem. All in all, I could do it again easily. You'd be surprised how you focus in on just a few items that make you feel terrific and wear them again and again, and who would know besides your travel partners and they don't care at all if you wear the same thing!

If you have any questions, just let me know. It is fun to remember the trip, it was just fabulous and I would go back tomorrow with the clothes on my back if I could :D

Thanks SweetPea for the update! You gave me some wonderful ideas on what to bring (and what not to bring!) I am glad to hear that it is doable. I don't mind wearing the same thing over and over either. In fact, living in San Diego I wear the same type of short, tshirt and shoes every day. Just mix up the colors a bit.

sweetpea, really enjoyed your clothing description but

really zeroed in on the fact you have a 12 yr old daughter

we have been to paris before in 1989 and 2001 -

we hope to take our 2 grand children & their parents for

their first trip to europe - about 8 days in paris in 2016

boy will be 17 & girl will be 12

my husband & i are not light packers but are trying ~~~

and are going to encourage each one to check in 1 large

& have a carry on tote which fits on top of suitcase

this is off topic of this thread but did you do a review elsewhere

of where you stayed and what you did for the 2 weeks in paris

would be interested in what you did ! thanks for any advice !!