Norovirus Outbreak Hits Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship

island284

I just got this email from someone on the Explorer. She wrote it last night. Sounds dreadful to me.

The Captain cancelled the welcome back reception for tonite. There are over 200 who reported so far with the noro virus symptoms. We are not stopping at "Labadee" but continuing on to San Jaun. Will get there ard 8 pm and stay there til 10 pm the next day. The tables in the dining room were very sparse with diners.

Three at our table have it. They are offering free consultation at the medical office if you are sick. The pool deck is open today. The promenade is empty. Pushing the hand washing and the "washy-washy". Took the salt and pepper off the tables. Using paper packets. Serving food from the wind jammer - no self self. Doing a lot of cleaning and disinfecting. Hopefully they get it contained.

I just got this email from someone on the Explorer. She wrote it last night. Sounds dreadful to me.

The Captain cancelled the welcome back reception for tonite. There are over 200 who reported so far with the noro virus symptoms. We are not stopping at "Labadee" but continuing on to San Jaun. Will get there ard 8 pm and stay there til 10 pm the next day. The tables in the dining room were very sparse with diners.

Three at our table have it. They are offering free consultation at the medical office if you are sick. The pool deck is open today. The promenade is empty. Pushing the hand washing and the "washy-washy". Took the salt and pepper off the tables. Using paper packets. Serving food from the wind jammer - no self self. Doing a lot of cleaning and disinfecting. Hopefully they get it contained.

Here is a link to the CDC report, 281 passengers and 22 crew as of when the report was filed.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2014/january21_explorer_seas.htm

Wow, thanks, didn't know they were obtainable. Good to know.

You're welcome. You can also look at the inspection scores and the reports associated with the inspections on that site too. Just look under vessel sanitation program and pick the ship you are interested in checking out.

You're welcome. You can also look at the inspection scores and the reports associated with the inspections on that site too. Just look under vessel sanitation program and pick the ship you are interested in checking out.

That's great info..thanks again. :)

I sympathize with the passengers and crew. Awful to get sick on their dream vacation or to be on a "sick" ship.

I'm sure the crew is working extra hard to contain it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk 2

Hope they feel better. We are on that cruise for 1/31. Don't no what happens

How is 10% a small outbreak, That's alot! One out of every 10 people you see on the cruise is sick?

Could the reason be they are skipping the stop in Labadee is because that don't want the Noro to spread to the island when other ships from Royal Caribbean and Celebrity fleet would catch it to?

Edited by Jimbo

Hope they feel better. We are on that cruise for 1/31. Don't no what happens

It usually causes a delay in sailing while the crew does a massive cleaning of the ship. That ship will be cleaner than its ever been after that virus outbreak..LOL.

Edited by rrraydon

How is 10% a small outbreak, That's alot! One out of every 10 people you see on the cruise is sick? & days to go on the cruise, what happens if even more get sick? which is very much likely to happen isn't it?

Could the reason be they are skipping the stop in Labadee is because that don't want the Noro to spread to the island when other ships from Royal Caribbean and Celebrity fleet would catch it too?

Jimbo:)

Edited by Jimbo

How is 10% a small outbreak, That's alot! One out of every 10 people you see on the cruise is sick? & days to go on the cruise, what happens if even more get sick? which is very much likely to happen isn't it?

Could the reason be they are skipping the stop in Labadee is because that don't want the Noro to spread to the island when other ships from Royal Caribbean and Celebrity fleet would catch it too?

Bingo

If Royal Caribbean and the CDC handle an increasing outbreak like they did with the Crown Princess in 2012, they will bring the ship back early. The Crown had an outbreak and did a delayed boarding of the next sailing to do a deep cleaning. The ship didn't leave port until after 11pm. That sailing also had a larger outbreak, my mom was on that sailing. The ship had cancelled its first port because they left so late and was headed to their second port, on day 2 in the middle of the night, my mom woke up to the ship slowing and turning. By morning, they found out they were headed back to Port Everglades after never making a single port. They got a full refund for that cruise, their on board accounts paid and a very generous credit for another cruise. The ship came back in after a 4 day cruise to nowhere. My mom and her friends, all seniors, never got sick and had a great time.

Time will tell, but if it gets worse, I would expect the CDC and the cruiseline to bring Explorer back to Bayonne early.

This is only their 4th night on the cruise and already 281 passengers sick...Not good and with 6 nights to go. Not fun at all.

Well, with CDC boarding the ship on the 26th in St Thomas, I bet that is when we will see a decision made. Interesting they are sending more crew too.

This happened fast. We got off the ship Tuesday and all was pretty good, heard of a few sick but not enough to worry. Glad we did not do b2b. Feel bad for all those who got sick, not the way to spend your vacation!