Cruise Line Changes itinerary --- passengers upset

firerunner

Guess I have different thoughts then you. I do not understand them being upset.

Upset because the cruise line changed course to save people? Not something I would get upset about. My cruise/excursion is nothing compared to saving someones life.

My understanding is that, no, they were not offered any compensation.

Well, the Carnival contract (which everyone agrees to when making a reservation) states:

If a change in the itinerary is needed due to factors or conditions beyond CARNIVAL'S control, no refund or credit will be made, however, CARNIVAL will make an effort to provide accommodations and services of a comparable quality and standard as set forth in the brochure.

and

(e) If the performance of the proposed voyage is hindered or prevented (or in the opinion of Carnival or the Master is likely to be hindered or prevented) by war, hostilities, blockage, ice, labor conflicts, strikes on board or ashore, restraint of Princes, Rulers or People, seizure under legal process, breakdown of the Vessel, congestion, docking difficulties or any other cause whatsoever or if Carnival or the Master considers that for any reason whatsoever, proceeding to, attempting to enter, or entering or remaining at the port of Guest's destination may expose the Vessel to risk or loss or damage or be likely to delay her, the Guest and his baggage may be landed at the port of embarkation or at any port or place at which the Vessel may call, at which time the responsibility of Carnival shall cease and this contract shall be deemed to have been fully performed, or if the Guest has not embarked, Carnival may cancel the proposed voyage without liability to refund passage money or fares paid in advance.

Some cruiselines also have a disclaimer in their contract to the effect that they do not guarantee that the ship will even leave port on embarkation day or even be sea-worthy. And we still continue to cruise!

If I was with my kids and we did not end up going to Cozumel and instead went to Nassau, I can think of many things to do with them that would be quite similar to Cozumel. If they could not help their kids to adapt and have a good time at another port, there is something wrong.

Wow! Usually I am sympathetic when people are upset with a missed port/change in itinerary even when the reason is beyond the cruise lines control. I understand their disappointment and hope that they are able to make lemonade out of lemons. But this just blows the imagination. The cruise ship saves 40+ people (Required under international maritime law, and just plain humane), but because they couldn't go on a planned excursion in Mexico the kids start pouting, and therefore no one has a good time. What was so darn important in Mexico? Granted I prefer Mexico to the Bahamas, but I had a great time in the Bahamas, the water is beautiful and there is family-friendly stuff to do. They need a reality check.

I understand being disappointed when you miss a port. I've had it happen myself. However, you just have to accept it, move on and make the best of the situation. This really should be a great lesson for the kids because not everyone has the luxuries they've been given and I find it hard to believe that parents would sue over something like this to be honest.

It'll be a very quick lawsuit for Carnival to resolve though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if it had been you or I needing to be rescued? What would we have thought if the ship went by going to Mexico and didn't take the time to rescue us? Personally if this was my cruise I would be disappointed but would totally understand and choose to go with the flow. We have missed ports before and it wasn't a big deal to us.

When I read the subject line I was all set to take the passengers side. When I read the article it was a whole different story!! What incredibly selfish people. Would they rather the people died? What could have been a wonderful teaching experience to their children's turned in to the typical ME ME ME attitude of way too many people these days.

Ships don't have an option about saving folks in these situations.

This is so true. The Captain is required to do the rescue.

:rolleyes: Whatever ,it's required so he must ....

Can you imagine the Headlines if he had the option and didn't: Captain bypasses those in need of rescue so his passengers don't miss going to the Western Caribbean!

LuLu

~~~

They should be embarrassed. Give me a break. You can take your precious darlings to the beach, dolphin swim, zoo, etc. in Nassau. How selfish and shallow. Carnival doesn't owe them a dime. Itineraries change, because of weather often. Never saw a news report about it. So why is this such a huge problem??? I have my thoughts.:rolleyes:

As a person who was on this cruise, it was a very sobering experience to watch unfold. Imagine making the decision to take your children and babies aboard something that only arguably passes for a boat and ply the rough waters in a search for freedom and a better future.

We too had an excursion in Cozumel that we were looking forward to. Well, that pales in comparison to the social studies lesson my son and I got that Tuesday.

Unfortunately, those migrants will be returned to Cuba. Alive, but back to conditions that they found they intolerable. I hope that God watches over them all.

I am embarrassed for, and ashamed of, those folks from Lakeland. While Nassau is not the greatest place in the world, I truly did not hear many people complaining.

I'm ashamed to admit these people live in my home state ~ we get enough of a bad rap as it is! I've been to the Bahamas and recall there being plenty of "kid friendly" things to do and some of the same type of excursions as are offered in Cozumel...these people are so incredibly selfish and are a laughing stock IMO! Shame on them for not being better role models for their children, I am just amazed they sound like they would rather let those refugees die so it wouldn't interrupt their vacation....wow, just wow!!

That is just mind boggling.

Like others have said, I can understand disappointment in missing a port, but there is a much bigger picture here. It makes me very sad.

I really can't believe this statement.

"The kids weren’t happy. They didn’t have any fun and then they didn’t get to do what they had planned on doing. So it was a terrible experience."

I understand that children don't alway see the whole picture, but really, no fun at all? Terrible? I presume it was a 6-8 day cruise and there were other stops, they didn't have fun any of the other days or stops? Life doesn't always go as planned, especially when travelling, this was a very minor disruption. Missed ports happen all the time. Weather frequently cancels excursions. If that is going to ruin your whole cruise, it might be best to stay home.

If the idea of missing your port because they stopped to rescue people ruins you cruise, I have no sympathy whatsoever.

ETA - it appears the ship was on a 5 day sailing.

The motor was not running (not clear if it was not working or just not running at the time) and the boat was taking on water with no rescue equipment on board from other reports I have read.

Edited by 1kaper

In 2008 I was on the Miracle that was sailing out of New York. I can't remember the exact itinerary, but I think we were supposed to go to San Juan, St. Thomas and somewhere else. It was hurricane season so they had to change ports. They brought us to Port Canaveral, either Freeport or Nassau, and NEWPORT, RHODE ISLAND. There was one man on the boat that I will never forget. He basically started a riot in the lobby. There were a lot of people hrs were parading around, screaming that they wanted a refund. It was total chaos!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I try to see both sides of every situation. However, as parents, it is up to us to teach our children to be better people, and these parents missed an opportunity to do their jobs as parents. If one of my kids (and we have four, 20 to 27) had whined about missing a port, I would have explained how blessed we were to be able to be a part of the rescue. If they continued to gripe, they would have spent the rest of the cruise in the cabin. Yeah, I'm that mom. :rolleyes: