is bug spray required?

PartyLikeIts1990

I agree that bugs are not usually an issue, but I'd rather have some of the newer bug repellent wipes (lighter than spray to pack) on hand. I got some Repel wipes in the camping dept at Walmart for about $4.

• 3 months later...

We'll be going to Coco Cay and Nassau later this month. Hopefully the relatively bug free conditions described by previous posters still hold true, but, with such a rainy summer, I am wondering if we will need insect repellent at either port. Are there any problems with Dengue fever this year?

many, many years ago on the private island some people legs were ate up by sand fleas.

Better safe than sorry if you are prone to getting bit like me. 1 bug in a five mile radius and it will find me while bypassing 100 other people! Lol

I like the sunblock/bug spray combo as well. Avon has a good one too. I also have wipes as just in case when visiting other ports.

This was on the carnival website

The Bahamas has recently seen an increase in the number of cases of Dengue fever.

Dengue fever is caused by a virus transmitted to humans via the bite of an infected mosquito. It is not spread person to person so there is no need to worry about being near a person who might have Dengue fever.

While most cases are mild and resolved without treatment, occasionally patients may experience fever and chills, headache, muscle and joint pain, and/or a rash. On rare occasions, complications are severe enough to warrant hospitalization.

Dengue is uncommon in the continental United States. It usually is found in tropical and subtropical parts of the world. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control indicates that the risk of dengue infection for international travelers appears to be small.

Authorities in Nassau, Freeport and Half Moon Cay have informed us that they have instituted aggressive measures, such as fogging and spraying, in order to mitigate any occurrences.

Guests can minimize their risk by exercising the following precautions when outdoors:

• Wear a long sleeve shirt and full length pants preferably of a light color.

• Apply insect repellent.

• Be especially vigilant at dawn and dusk when mosquitoes tend to be most active.

We take all health issues seriously, and we hope this information is helpful. If you have further questions or concerns about Dengue fever, the ship's doctors and nurses are available on board to assist.

This was on the carnival website

The Bahamas has recently seen an increase in the number of cases of Dengue fever.

Dengue fever is caused by a virus transmitted to humans via the bite of an infected mosquito. It is not spread person to person so there is no need to worry about being near a person who might have Dengue fever.

While most cases are mild and resolved without treatment, occasionally patients may experience fever and chills, headache, muscle and joint pain, and/or a rash. On rare occasions, complications are severe enough to warrant hospitalization.

Dengue is uncommon in the continental United States. It usually is found in tropical and subtropical parts of the world. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control indicates that the risk of dengue infection for international travelers appears to be small.

Authorities in Nassau, Freeport and Half Moon Cay have informed us that they have instituted aggressive measures, such as fogging and spraying, in order to mitigate any occurrences.

Guests can minimize their risk by exercising the following precautions when outdoors:

• Wear a long sleeve shirt and full length pants preferably of a light color.

• Apply insect repellent.

• Be especially vigilant at dawn and dusk when mosquitoes tend to be most active.

We take all health issues seriously, and we hope this information is helpful. If you have further questions or concerns about Dengue fever, the ship's doctors and nurses are available on board to assist.

This info is old news... we were very lucky this season and did not have an outbreak of Dengue fever. Haven't seen mosquitoes this season either.

This info is old news... we were very lucky this season and did not have an outbreak of Dengue fever. Haven't seen mosquitoes this season either.

Well I was just putting what is posted on their website now is all..

Archived